Updated Auxiliary Radio Modification Instructions - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Updated Auxiliary Radio Modification Instructions

I have recently carried out a auxiliary cable input on my 1500 Goldwing radio. Because the cassette unit was faulty and didn't work I decided to carry out the modification using a switch and an internal relay. I must say the final result was far better than the 'dummy tape' modification I carried out on another radio a few years ago.

I decided to detail this modification in every step and have provided an updated version which may be of use to anyone that may wish to have a go themselves.

Hope it helps?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Auxiliary Input.pdf (1.18 MB, 68 views)
OnaWingAndaPrayer and flylow like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 08:25 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Chris,

sent you a PM ref: Ignition Cover

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 PM

Year: 1999
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Garage
Hello Chris, Just wondering if you can help me... i wanna do the mod but if i understand correctly the relay and switch is only used to toggle between aux input and cassete right?.. so if i dont care anymore about cassette player and want it to permanently be an aux input how could o do it??

i plan to permanently wire a bluetooth receiver to the aux input. how could i do it without a dummy tape and an external switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
William, that modification of the radio is to provide an aux input. The switch changes it from playing whatever is plugged into the aux input through the bikes audio system OR playing the radio or the cassette tape. In other words it reverts back to the stock configuration.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post
William, that modification of the radio is to provide an aux input. The switch changes it from playing whatever is plugged into the aux input through the bikes audio system OR playing the radio or the cassette tape. In other words it reverts back to the stock configuration.
i guess i kinda understand how it works, it injects the sound from the aux input directly to the amplificator where the signal from the cassete head goes... what i would like to do is have the mod to completely disable the cassete deck and have an aux input instead and use the radio switch betwen cassete and radio to go from aux to radio and so..

is that possible?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
You almost have it right. The modification will inject the signal from the aux input cable to the input of the audio amplifier, the same place the radio tuner and the cassette player goes. I don't think it would be possible to have the switch on the radio panel, that changes from cassette to radio, do what you are proposing.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_86 View Post
i plan to permanently wire a bluetooth receiver to the aux input. how could i do it without a dummy tape and an external switch?
This is my ultimate goal. Using Bluetooth eliminates the need for cable management. I'm considering replacing the OEM unit with a marine-grade radio too. That'll both boost my audio output and add BT capability. The only problem then is getting the connector done (is trayk-by still making them?) and getting some sort of body work done to cover the new installation.

I think one could wire a small BT unit into the same places the new AUX cable is being wired into. You'd have to provide power to the unit though. I know there are some very small BT transceivers available these days; people who work with Raspberry Pis and arduino controllers use them regularly. Something like an HC-5 or HC10 might work

There are also BT cassette adapters that pop into the cassette bat and give you BT. But you're still dealing with power cable management there.

I posted a question to the /DIYAudio subreddit to see if it's possible to do a Bluetooth mod as easily as Sierra does the cable mod, and maybe find out what parts to use.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 01:49 PM

Garage
there are many bluetooth receivers that will actually control your music and volume (bluetooth) and answer calls. they dont need anything special to work just wire them directly to an amplifier. so no need for an special marine unit.. they are very small and can be fit almost anywhere on the bike, no need to mess with raspberry stuff. they are plug and play. (wire to 12v and to the audio amplifier. or aux mod) but all the wires are hidden under the plastics anyway so no wiring mess every time you get on and off the bike

if you wire one of this units to a modded stock goldwing radio you can keep the intercom and cb functionality
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:07 PM
big PIA

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
And exactly what kind is that and how much does it cost
2talltom likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Did...did I do that?

Year: 1996
Model: GL1500SE
Garage
I want to switch to the marine unit for higher power. Adding the Bluetooth is an extra bonus. If I go that route, I just need to figure out to secure the radio to the bike. I can mount the radio in the stereo cover easily enough, but that just snaps on and off. I need something more secure.

The only reason I referred to the Pi and arduino was to give some example of the BT device I was talking about.

Posted messages are packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents may have occurred during transmission.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page