roadsmith trike rear tank not feeding carbs with fuel cap off, new fuel filter - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: gl-1500
Model: Interstate with roadsmith trike HT1500 kit
roadsmith trike rear tank not feeding carbs with fuel cap off, new fuel filter

roadsmith trike rear tank not feeding carbs with fuel cap off, new fuel filter\\found that if you don't top off the tank, it feeds ok. can't find the vent tube. its suppose to be on top of the fuel neck. ran the bike with the gas cap off, no help.at times i can go a mile , other times 1000 feet before it quits. other times it will be ok running off of the rear tank for a week. bike ridden daily 10-15 miles. it has a new fuel transfer valve. connections cleaned & dielectric greased.

Last edited by brownfoxx1; 09-02-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownfoxx1 View Post
roadsmith trike rear tank not feeding carbs with fuel cap off, new fuel filter\\found that if you don't top off the tank, it feeds ok. can't find the vent tube. its suppose to be on top of the fuel neck. ran the bike with the gas cap off, no help.at times i can go a mile , other times 1000 feet before it quits. other times it will be ok running off of the rear tank for a week. bike ridden daily 10-15 miles. it has a new fuel transfer valve. connections cleaned & dielectric greased.
I think some pictures and maybe a link to the tank will help get more replies. I did a little search and found out that at least some of the tanks )maybe all???) are meant to transfer fuel when the main tank gets low. It was never meant to run the bike normally.

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31787

Auxiliary Fuel Tanktank
Our unique auxiliary fuel tank was the first of its kind 15 years ago. We figured since we had the extra space above our differential, why not utilize it? Now we can offer you an additional 5 gallons of fuel on board. It's not that the Roadsmith gets bad gas mileage, typically 3-5 mpg less than the motorcycle, but on those long trips it's worth the peace of mind just to know you have extra fuel.

To fill the rear tank, remove the chrome fuel cap on the left side of the body and fill it just like the front tank. No need to wait for fuel to transfer SLOWLY to the extra tank. To use the fuel in the auxiliary tank, drive until the low fuel light comes on. Then simply flip the toggle switch while driving and the fuel will transfer from the rear tank up to the bike's original tank. When all the fuel is pumped out of the rear tank, it shuts itself off.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

not to disagree, but i think your advice is for newer ones as my rear tank feeds the engine.\thats what the roadsmith site says.

i have the older HT model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 01:11 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
not to disagree, but i think your advice is for newer ones as my rear tank feeds the engine.\thats what the roadsmith site says.

i have the older HT model.
I bet you are right. I have no experience but noticed you had no response so I did a little looking on the internet thinking I might be able to help. I tried.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

thanks lb moving daughter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 PM
It aint rocket science

Model: The best
Quote:
not to disagree, but i think your advice is for newer ones as my rear tank feeds the engine.\thats what the roadsmith site says.i have the older HT model.

Got a link to your info? One would think that a tank behind and presumably lower than the rider would have a pump involved somewhere in the equation?

J.D.

There is NO substitute for experience
I'll be around when I come around and not before
Internet myth buster

Starter ride
Rupp
Previous rides
Bultaco
Yamaha 360
Yamaha 650
WS Grand Chapter CT
If local and need help with a 1500, Valkyrie or ST repair please PM
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

yea, but gonna make sure the elec circuit is solid and R&R the switch.
mine has 9 gal aux tank. at roadsmith.com. ht1500 kit

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page