Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Question about side air deflectors (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/664877-question-about-side-air-deflectors.html)

2talltom 09-05-2018 08:01 PM

Question about side air deflectors

So the trike I just bought (Gl1500a) has air deflectors mounted on it. They attach by the fairing pockets and are about 6 or 8 inches square. (I think, haven't measured them) Anyways, one is broken. Should I try to find a replacement plastic? Just remove them? Upgrade to a taller version? What are people's opinions about them? Having never before owned a bike with any actual wind protection, I'm not sure what to do. On my KLR, wind is just a part of the ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

trike lady 09-05-2018 08:14 PM

I had wind deflectors on my Wing trike and they were removed as I didn't like them. I thought the ruined the look. But that's just me. With the large windshield on a Wing, you've got plenty of wind protection JMHO.

2talltom 09-05-2018 08:47 PM

I should have paid more attention when I drove it home. It would have been the perfect time to decide if I liked them or not, functionally speaking. However, I had way too many other things I was focusing on.

AZgl1800 09-05-2018 09:58 PM

I use the side wind deflectors a lot....

in the summer, I turn them to bring in air towards my chest.
in the winter, I turn them so that no air hits my chest.

they are worth every cent.

2talltom 09-05-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5787851)

So which ones do you have? I've found several different versions out there.

briese 09-05-2018 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are several manufacturers of the wind wings. So, finding an exact replacement may be tough since the accessories are drying up. The last model was made almost 19 years ago.

But, you can look on Ebay and probably find some.

I like the ones I have on my GL1500. Brings air into the cockpit when it is hot out and keeps air off of my legs when it is cold.

Take a look at these from CycleMax of Ohio https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_wind_wings/214

rayjoe 09-05-2018 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5787851)

I agree, once you get used to having them looks do not matter.

Rayjoe

AaronzDad 09-06-2018 12:33 AM

I put the Baker Built Air Wings on my GL1200 because I was getting a lot of heat on my legs from the engine. I can turn 'em so the air flows toward me when it's hot or on cool evenings I can turn 'em out and get a little extra warmth with the wind deflected away from me.

I love 'em. Should have sprung for the set years earlier.

Bellboy40 09-06-2018 07:14 AM

I am in the camp that loves them also. In addition to keeping the cold air off you in cold weather, they help keep the rain off when riding in bad weather also.

RB 09-06-2018 08:09 AM

You could make a replacement panel..