Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Blinkers (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/664909-blinkers.html)

digr 09-08-2018 06:55 PM

Blinkers

1993 1500A The right hand blinkers work as they should but the left side lights all work but very dim. Any ideas? The flasher?

Bike...and Dennis 09-08-2018 07:08 PM

Ground

Dirty socket

Wrong, or LED, bulb

Going blind in left eye

Isn't this the bike that had the broken brake switch?

DaveO430 09-08-2018 07:16 PM

The flasher works both sides, so no, it's not the flasher. Dim usually indicates a bad ground.

digr 09-08-2018 07:53 PM

I used my emergency flashers two weeks ago when riding in the fog and they were fine. Now I just tried them and they worked but the left side still dim. BUT NOW the only way I can shut them off is by pushing the blinker switch in. Now when I try the blinkers the four ways come on and I have to push the blinker switch again to shut them off. When the four ways are on the lights verily blink.

Bike...and Dennis 09-08-2018 08:41 PM

Clean the switch. That's probably where the bad ground is. If you are going to use contact cleaner, make sure you test it on some other plastic first, and get some dielectric grease to lube the switches and coat things.

DBohrer 09-08-2018 09:02 PM

There are only three wires on the Hazard switch.

1. Input power from the Hazard relay.

2. Output power to the left signal lights.

3. Output power to the right signal lights.

I don't believe your "dim" lights are caused by the Hazard switch.

redwing52 09-08-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 5788649)
I used my emergency flashers two weeks ago when riding in the fog and they were fine. Now I just tried them and they worked but the left side still dim. BUT NOW the only way I can shut them off is by pushing the blinker switch in. Now when I try the blinkers the four ways come on and I have to push the blinker switch again to shut them off. When the four ways are on the lights verily blink.

Are you absolutely sure of what you are saying. The 4 ways are pretty much independent of the turn lights for the most part. It is common to turn on the hazards and have them stick on if you do not use the hazards very often. The hazard button sticks on from lack of use. Again this is common however pushing the turn light cancel switch should not turn them off. freeing up the sticky 4 way switch is the fix there usually. The dim turn light might well be a bad connection where the bulb base contacts the socket. The next thing I would check would be the connectors that are located in the lower corner panels below the saddle bags. Eventually the left and right turn lights are spliced together and go to the same ground. No ground wires or connections are routed through the switch. The ground circuit is just a simple wire that goes from the base of the socket to a ground that the left and right share.

digr 09-09-2018 09:17 AM

Thank's all for the help! This morning I got the four way switch working, it was stuck in. Now the four ways won't come on with the four way switch until I turn the blinker switch ether way and they will come on but the left does nothing and the right sides verily work.

DBohrer 09-09-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digr (Post 5788731)
Thank's all for the help! This morning I got the four way switch working, it was stuck in. Now the four ways won't come on with the four way switch until I turn the blinker switch ether way and they will come on but the left does nothing and the right sides verily work.

Its about time you start looking for the bad ground....!!

digr 09-09-2018 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5788739)
Its about time you start looking for the bad ground....!!

I tried back feeding a ground threw the left marker light and it made no difference. The side marker lights, running and tail lights all work with the key. I have full power to the left marker light when the key is on but when I try the blinker power drops slightly. Is it still a ground problem when all the other lights work as they should Thank's