GL1800 Tips: MP3/Audio Install - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500, GL1800
GL1800 Tips: MP3/Audio Install

Here's some helpful hints that I learned when re-doing the Audio Install on my 2003 GL1800

Unit: http://wingstuff.com/data/assets/blo...20/bikemp3.jpg

1) This unit is ALWAYS powered 'On', and will drain your battery unless you re-direct the power to an Auxiliary Relayed Power Supply, as such:
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ml#post5793439

2) Unit works only Intermittantly, using USB-Sticks... they move ever-so-slightly in their jack, causing loss of communication with the radio unit... In-turn, requiring Power-Off-Reboot of the system.
Using SD-Cards instead, solves this problem; the smallest I could find was 8 gig, and it has More Capacity than can be used (eg It works, providing 748 song capacity.).

3) Max Number of Directories on the Card is 17... eg:
1 (Root Directory)
CD1
CD2
CD3

CD16

Must use the "CD" prefix... Cannot Skip or Abbreviate it.

4) Max Number of (.MP3) Files per directory is 44

5) If you Exceed the Number of Files or Directories, then there is a Loss Of Communication with the Radio... You cannot restore it until this issue is fixed.

6) The display on the radio will read "CD1, CD2... CD9"... after which it will only display the 2nd Digit (ex "CD0" for "CD10", up to "CD16"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX BERECZKY View Post
Here's some helpful hints that I learned when re-doing the Audio Install on my 2003 GL1800

Unit: http://wingstuff.com/data/assets/blo...20/bikemp3.jpg

1) This unit is ALWAYS powered 'On', and will drain your battery unless you re-direct the power to an Auxiliary Relayed Power Supply, as such:
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ml#post5793439

2) Unit works only Intermittantly, using USB-Sticks... they move ever-so-slightly in their jack, causing loss of communication with the radio unit... In-turn, requiring Power-Off-Reboot of the system.
Using SD-Cards instead, solves this problem; the smallest I could find was 8 gig, and it has More Capacity than can be used (eg It works, providing 748 song capacity.).

3) Max Number of Directories on the Card is 17... eg:
1 (Root Directory)
CD1
CD2
CD3

CD16

Must use the "CD" prefix... Cannot Skip or Abbreviate it.

4) Max Number of (.MP3) Files per directory is 44

5) If you Exceed the Number of Files or Directories, then there is a Loss Of Communication with the Radio... You cannot restore it until this issue is fixed.

6) The display on the radio will read "CD1, CD2... CD9"... after which it will only display the 2nd Digit (ex "CD0" for "CD10", up to "CD16"
ALWAYS is a dangerous word.

My Bike MP3 player does not draw current all the time.
I had a malfunctioning unit that did draw current all the time and it was replaced.

The USB Sticks I've been using in my Bike MP3 player do not operate intermittently. I have used the same one for the lat three or four years without replacing it. Recently, I've installed a replacement for a change of pace. It works fine too.

The different folders are:
CD1 thru CD9 and each folder contains 99 MP3 files that all play flawlessly.

That is how I understood it to operate in normal situations and it is how it has always operated. Perhaps yours is a different model.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 12:16 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
yup, Always can be dangerous, or just have consequences that are unwanted.

My bike's voltmeter is an analog unit, I wanted to be able to see the battery condition all the time as I walked around the shop. so, I wired it direct to the battery.

no problem for 3 weeks or so, but at about 4 weeks, that tiny bit of extra draw pulls the battery down far enough that the 1800 won't engage the starter.... that's somewhere around 10.5-10.8 volts.

my solution is to just always keep a battery tender on it, I do that for every small battery on the place. RV, lawn tractor, scooter, 1800...

the only exception is the Emergency Generator. It uses an AGM the same size as the 1800 does.
but, when it is off, the battery is totally disconnected from everything.
I suppose its' saving grace, is that it is stored inside the attached garage and never gets below about 40F

when my wife got sick, and I had to stay with her at the hospital for a year, the GenSet went 18 months w/o having once being started up. I wondered if the battery would crank it up.
But not to worry, it hit solid as a rock, and the engine fired up on the 2nd revolution.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Model: Slightly less than before.
Bike MP3

Sorry Alex, but you may have a faulty player. Unfortunately Bike MP3 is out of business.

Mine works just as briese described. I.E. CD1 to CD9 with up to 99 files in each directory. Did you get instructions for setting up the unit. If not, recheck your format for directories. You might try setting it up like briese and mine are.
Seems like there was something else about using the root directory only. I bought mine used and did not get instructions. I found the information in one of the forums.

Hope this helps,

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post

The USB Sticks I've been using in my Bike MP3 player do not operate intermittently. I have used the same one for the lat three or four years without replacing it. Recently, I've installed a replacement for a change of pace. It works fine too.

My Unit was installed Vertically (eg USB Slot is Vertical), and I noticed that the USB sticks could not maintain that orientation... they'd rotate slightly enough to disconnect.

However, when I rotated the unit Horizontally (and Taped the sticks in-place, retraining them to the player) then and only then the sticks Remained Installed, and the player would work. I would add that all this intermittent operation was with the bike On The Center Stand, as I was working on it for months. Anyhow, perhaps my USB slot was worn out, as the problem repeated across 4-different USB sticks, yet does not on your player.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 PM

I had worried about the size of the old thumb drives I had, they were about two inches long. I found some small ones, they are less than an inch long.

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-008G-B35.

So short in fact that they are difficult to grab on to to pull them out. Do worries with them vibrating out. They are available on Amazon in 8GB, 16GB, 32GB and 64 GB. I'm using the 16GB. Kind of overkill for space.

I too have mine mounted vertical in my trunk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandisk mini.jpg (28.4 KB, 3 views)

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page