Best & brightest lower cowl LED driving lights? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkya View Post
I just installed my EC LED headlights yesterday and WOW what a difference!

Have you tried them in full darkness to see how far ahead they will light up the road and highway signs?

I have had 1500 bulbs before that were great for lighting up both sides of the road, but only could see ahead for maybe 200 yards??

Back 10 years ago, the Sylvania SuperBrights were the best available, but the life span was on the order of 3 or 4 months of everyday use.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The pictures in their ad shows whiter, not necessarily brighter, light. On the bad side, it is higher and there's the flare to the upper left, right at oncoming traffic. I'd rather see a low beam comparison.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewto...p?f=18&t=44991

Check out Scott's excellent review. Rode through southern Ohio and West Virginia in mid-July with him and the lights are very impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 04:57 AM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I love my HID's but only have HID on Low beam, High Beam is utterly useless regular bulb all on one setup. In Low Light at night I tuck pretty close to a vehicle in front of me to take some of the deer hazard out. Sure doesnt help when they run over old tire rubber or bungee's though or when they turn off. Elk are a hazard as well where I live, but i still ride at night just slowing things way down. I may actually get a set of these just for the added High beam.

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Have you tried them in full darkness to see how far ahead they will light up the road and highway signs?
No, I didn't try them in full darkness and really measured how far ahead the cast enough light, but I did notice as I was coming back into my neighborhood (at 4 AM..lol) that the brights are hitting up in the trees about 8-10 feet (as one oncoming cager flashing me when on lowbeam), so I will probably have to do some height adjustment. I typically ride alone, (I don't have a bunch of local buddies to assist) what is the best way to target the correct height? I understand I will have to turn the adjustment knob a gazillion times to change 1 inch of focus point.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Garage
I try to find a long, flat road surface with trees lining both sides if possible.
my driveway fits that requirement 400 feet from road to the forest behind my house

then setting on the center stand, I adjust the headlight beam until the center of it is mostly just above the road surface.... it is a trade off for "near vision" versus "far vision"

but usually I can see the highway signs light up a half mile down the road at night.
my HID low beams will light up highway signs in bright sun at a 1/8 mile or so.

when pulling up behind a car of average size, not the little compacts
the top of the high beam just barely lights up the bottom chrome strip on the back window.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I try to find a long, flat road surface with trees lining both sides if possible.
my driveway fits that requirement 400 feet from road to the forest behind my house

then setting on the center stand, I adjust the headlight beam until the center of it is mostly just above the road surface.... .
Wow! 400 feet? On the adjustment of the beam...high beam or low beam?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Garage
sorry, that is the High Beam adjustment

the HID low beams are almost as good as the high beams,
and they are ON all the time controlled by the oil pressure switch.

the High Beam fills in the center of the Low Beams because they have a hole in the center of their beam. fills up everything from the fender to out about 300 feet maybe, then nothing until they light up the tree leaves clear to the top of the trees.

I always leave the high beam on all the time too, I want to be seen.
and the driving lights are the kind look to the oncoming traffic to be just as bright as the headlights, but are useless for us to drive with... but the make the bike look much larger than it is, and that is what we want.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 AM

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Quote:
I always leave the high beam on all the time too, I want to be seen.
and the driving lights are the kind look to the oncoming traffic to be just as bright as the headlights, but are useless for us to drive with... but the make the bike look much larger than it is, and that is what we want.
Good! Larger = closer. Then they won't turn left in front of you (as often) thinking you are further away.

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page