LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1997 Valkyrie
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadztoy View Post
Actually, I was more motivated by safety than convenience... It was always a pretty hairy situation getting my bike up on that lift, so I vowed to recess it if I ever built a new garage... Now I just drive right on to it - no issues at all and my buddies love it!!!

Les
It would be nice. If I were to build a new shop, I would definitely do that. My house was built in 1961, but has a glass smooth concrete floor. I would hate to cut into it. At present, I have a 4x4 on each side to help out. In spring, I'll order the wings from Handy.
dadztoy likes this.

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 10:43 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
I have the HF lift and it works well for me. I also built wood platforms for each side and welded up an extended front wheel holder. If you use the junky one that comes with the lift your center stand will be on top of the removable plate - inconvenient and dicey. I also made my own tie-down brackets. I tossed all the small bolts that came with the lift. They broke when tightened. I replaced with US built. One thing nobody else has mentioned - after a while the lift wouldn't lift my '99 goldwing. I have to get it started upward with another jack. After it's up a few inches the lift hydraulics take over. It lifts lighter bikes no problem. Now that I have all the customizing done I'm glad I have it. I'm 73 years old and bending down is no longer an option.
bobalou and limpy45 like this.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbranth View Post
One thing nobody else has mentioned - after a while the lift wouldn't lift my '99 goldwing. I have to get it started upward with another jack. After it's up a few inches the lift hydraulics take over. It lifts lighter bikes no problem. Now that I have all the customizing done I'm glad I have it. I'm 73 years old and bending down is no longer an option.

I have the HF lawn tractor lift.
and I have noticed the same exact thing.

IF, the lift is allowed to go completely to the bottom, it will not go back up with the tractor on it.

so, I had to back the tractor off, pump the lift up about 2 inches, then jump the tractor up onto the lift. now, it will accept the hydraulic pressure and lift the tractor.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Year: 2008
Model: GL1800
My HF lawnmower lift wouldn't work from day one. I found an adjustment on the front of the jack under a cover. Lifts good now.
bobalou likes this.

Charlie
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow View Post
My HF lawnmower lift wouldn't work from day one. I found an adjustment on the front of the jack under a cover. Lifts good now.

Hmmm, I will have to look at that and see what happens, must be out of whack.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1997 Valkyrie
Garage
Something else to consider...I used to work at a motorcycle shop. We had two Handys and three off-brands. Not Harbor Freights, but they looked just like them. Keeping in mind that these were used all day, every day, we refilled the hydraulic fluid on the cheap ones a couple times a year. The fluid wouldn't leak out, but would leak past the seals. Sometimes it would act as was described above, and other times it wouldn't drop all the way down, especially if it didn't have weight on it. For example, when you raised it to clean the floor below. We'd drain the oil and refill them and they'd work fine.
We'd do the same thing to the Handys, but only as a preventative. If a Handy gets low, it will "jump" as it fills.

Speaking of lifts; Does anyone have experience with tying two air operated ones together? Running both cylinders off of a single valve? My son thinks I should get a second one so I can lift the sidecar bike without taking off the car.

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarMike View Post

Speaking of lifts; Does anyone have experience with tying two air operated ones together? Running both cylinders off of a single valve? My son thinks I should get a second one so I can lift the sidecar bike without taking off the car.

I don't think you will like the results:
one is going to lift faster than the other one.

I would run the supply line into a Tee Valve so you can rock it back and forth to keep them level.

When they reach Max Height, no problems, as you will have them locked in place.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL

~ John
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
To the guys having lifting problems, be sure to keep all pivots and slides lubricated. A heavy bike can cause an immense amount of drag on a dry slide or joint.
bobalou likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page