Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 vacuum lines (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/665417-gl1500-vacuum-lines.html)

tlbranth 10-28-2018 01:27 PM

GL1500 vacuum lines
 
1999 GL1500SE - 149,000 miles. I think it's time I replaced all those vacuum hoses down in the bowels of the bike. While I'm there, I'll give the carbs a going over (Randakk kit best?). I'm pretty sure I don't need to buy each individual piece of tubing except the formed ones. I think I can make most from bulk tubing (honda sells that don't they?). Anyhow, if anyone has done this and can give some helpful information - pitfalls, what to buy etc. Or if there's a tutorial someplace, Please chime in. Any help appreciated.

DBohrer 10-28-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlbranth (Post 5801087)
1999 GL1500SE - 149,000 miles. I think it's time I replaced all those vacuum hoses down in the bowels of the bike. While I'm there, I'll give the carbs a going over (Randakk kit best?). I'm pretty sure I don't need to buy each individual piece of tubing except the formed ones. I think I can make most from bulk tubing (honda sells that don't they?). Anyhow, if anyone has done this and can give some helpful information - pitfalls, what to buy etc. Or if there's a tutorial someplace, Please chime in. Any help appreciated.

Are you having issues or doing this "just because".....????:|

snowmoer 10-28-2018 03:16 PM

I replaced all the vacuum hoses on my 88. I had one dry out and crack, so while I had it apart, I just replaced all of them.

Honda does not sell bulk hose. If I remember correctly, the only one they still sell that is shaped is the S curved one that is under the carburetor. There was another one that had curves that was not available from Honda. I just added a little more length of hose so it was not pinched as it curved.

The hose is metric and is in two different sizes. You can buy metric bulk hose from Amazon or E Bay. I do not remember the size, but you can find it on a parts Fisch. You will not find this hose at your local auto parts store unless they cater to European vehicles. The US hose is either just a little to big, or is to small and will cause the hose to bulge when slipped onto the nipple. This will just crack over time and cause vacuum leaks. Believe me, you only want to do this once!

As far as the carbs go, I just got the rubber parts from Honda. I did my rebuild 5 years ago. So, not sure if all the parts are still available.

Randakk has great kits. I will be using one when I rebuild the carbs on my GL1000 project bike.

AZgl1800 10-28-2018 04:14 PM

IF,
you are going to do this,
get the Metric hose before you start the project

ALEX BERECZKY 10-30-2018 12:28 PM

It took me 3-days to replace all the vacuum lines, working a couple hours a day... Worst case of skinned-knuckles, ever!



I simply bought ~30ft of each size, various sized vacuum, coolant and fuel lines, then cut off whatever length was needed... It's really cheap, so might as well just buy extra. I got all mine off the bulk spools from local auto supply; I doubt they were an exact match, but worked fine. I added Spring Clamps to all hose ends, to ensure no leaks.

Bulk hose works in most locations, but there were a few places (tight radii) where I had problems with the hose wanting to kink... Most of the time I simply made a Big (360 degree) Loop there, to avoid that.

You'll have to remove the Left Exhaust manifold, in order to access the vacuum lines beneath it... And you're supposed to replace the manifold Gasket when re-assembling.


If you do the coolant lines (as you should, BTW), I'd highly recommend replacing the Black-Plastic-Tee-Ftg (right side, forward, behind right pulley) with a Brass-Tee... as I've had the plastic one break several times.

tlbranth 10-31-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5801093)
Are you having issues or doing this "just because".....????:|

Mostly 'just because'. Trips on this bike are almost always at least 2500 miles and I just don't want it dying on me that far from home.

tlbranth 10-31-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALEX BERECZKY (Post 5801599)
It took me 3-days to replace all the vacuum lines, working a couple hours a day... Worst case of skinned-knuckles, ever!



I simply bought ~30ft of each size, various sized vacuum, coolant and fuel lines, then cut off whatever length was needed... It's really cheap, so might as well just buy extra. I got all mine off the bulk spools from local auto supply; I doubt they were an exact match, but worked fine. I added Spring Clamps to all hose ends, to ensure no leaks.

Bulk hose works in most locations, but there were a few places (tight radii) where I had problems with the hose wanting to kink... Most of the time I simply made a Big (360 degree) Loop there, to avoid that.

You'll have to remove the Left Exhaust manifold, in order to access the vacuum lines beneath it... And you're supposed to replace the manifold Gasket when re-assembling.


If you do the coolant lines (as you should, BTW), I'd highly recommend replacing the Black-Plastic-Tee-Ftg (right side, forward, behind right pulley) with a Brass-Tee... as I've had the plastic one break several times.

Thanks Alex. Looks like I'm in for a swell time. I'm hoping to use Honda hose just to reduce the risk of a leak where I'd have to do it all again. I saw on the parts fiche that they do sell in bulk but it looks like it's about $14 for 1 meter. That could get pricey eh?

Later: I just looked online and there's plenty of metric vacuum hose available in silicone. Anyone us this stuff? Apparently it's superior to rubber.

Bellboy40 10-31-2018 04:23 PM


snowmoer 11-01-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlbranth (Post 5801917)
Later: I just looked online and there's plenty of metric vacuum hose available in silicone. Anyone us this stuff? Apparently it's superior to rubber.

I used silicone hose when I replaced my hose. No problems. I also replaced the hoses on my carbs while I was at it.

I didn't see bulk vacuum hose from Honda when I did mine. Even asked the dealer. They did have bulk coolant hose and I used that on some of the short straight runs as I replaced my coolant hoses at the same time Like Alex recommends. Most of the coolant hoses have bends in them also. I was able to get most of those hoses from Honda. There were a couple that they did not carry, so I just got the long coolant hoses with the bends in them and just cut it to length.

ALEX BERECZKY 11-02-2018 02:19 PM

Tip: Buy some Hose Pliers, of various sizes... ~1/4 - 1/2" diameter


https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/..._AS01?$mdmain$


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome