Dex-cool in GL1200 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1986 GL1200 Aspy
Garage
Dex-cool in GL1200

I've been using Dex-cool for about 15 years and 60,000 miles without any issues at all, just wondering if others are also using it and had problems. The reason I switched at around 23,000 miles was, when changing the antifreeze (green type), I noticed a lot of hard crud and pitting around the thermostat, the hose connections and the radiator cap. Since using Dex-cool I have had the radiator out for various reasons, more recently to change a stuck thermostat and most recently to install a poor boy-style alternator conversion. The Dex cool always looks like new, no pitting, no crud and the radiator and water pump looks squeaky clean. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:40 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I wouldn't use it myself but if you are having no problem with it then that's OK with me. I would caution anyone wanting to change to be sure to flush all traces of ethylene glycol out of the system.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I just worked on a vehicle that wasnt flushed properly, what a mess clumped up in spots and over heated and cracked a head (V8). I use the universal that green just because its available in the bike, but have yellow in the car and truck.

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
I just worked on a vehicle that wasnt flushed properly, what a mess clumped up in spots and over heated and cracked a head (V8). I use the universal that green just because its available in the bike, but have yellow in the car and truck.
There is a lot of chemistry that is involved in antifreeze. I went to a seminar and the company putting it on was GM. (Dexcool) In the crowd was a guy from Fleetguard. They almost came to blows.
Like so many things it is hard to get everything just right. We all run our old bikes on part ethanol but Honda says no. We tend to think it isn't so bad but how good could it be? How many fuel, vacuum lines and petcocks fail from ethanol. Or do they? I just know there is really no other choice amd the bikes run fine for a long time even with the ethanol. Not sure how much longer or if they would last longer without the ethanol. I think antifreeze is the same way. It would be nice to have the exact right coolant but it is getting hard to find. The biggest thing is use good water. (distlled) Or even better premixed and change the stuff at a reasonable interval. There is some bad things going on inside there but I doubt it is the end of the world. I think it is better to use any new coolant than to run some old acidy stuff. Like oil maybe. Rather have any brand than some old sludged up fancy stuff.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have started buying only Premix, even though it is horrendously more expensive.

the reason is needing to top off the radiator, I only needed about a quart....
then a couple years later, needed another quart....

can't find any leaks, I just laid it off to evaporation from the overflow bottle

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Kid View Post
I've been using Dex-cool for about 15 years and 60,000 miles without any issues at all, just wondering if others are also using it and had problems. The reason I switched at around 23,000 miles was, when changing the antifreeze (green type), I noticed a lot of hard crud and pitting around the thermostat, the hose connections and the radiator cap. Since using Dex-cool I have had the radiator out for various reasons, more recently to change a stuck thermostat and most recently to install a poor boy-style alternator conversion. The Dex cool always looks like new, no pitting, no crud and the radiator and water pump looks squeaky clean. Any thoughts on this?
Dex-Cool is great antifreeze in preventing block and radiator corrosion. However, it is also harsh on seals and gaskets as the acid tends to dissolve certain rubbers. My 5.7 Chevy Vortec had this problem after I first bought it. But Chevy came out with a different intake manifold gasket which seems to have solved the problem.

Other Chevy owners have switched to the green type antifreeze and they started experiencing radiator clogging and overheating. I always tell them to use Dex-Cool for their Chevy's and to be sure to use distilled water and NOT to use tap water as the minerals in the tap water will eventually clog the radiator.

Now about using Dex-Cool on the Wing, part of me says...."AAaaaaaa! Bad idea". But the other part says, "Not such a bad idea" since Dex-Cool has a long life span and reduces the need for routine flushing and refill. Me personally, I would stick to the Honda brand coolant. That's what I use and I've never had any problems with my cooling system.

Joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Year: 1997
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I have started buying only Premix, even though it is horrendously more expensive.

the reason is needing to top off the radiator, I only needed about a quart....
then a couple years later, needed another quart....

can't find any leaks, I just laid it off to evaporation from the overflow bottle
Probably not leaking. The water is evaporating and over time, you will need to top it off. I do this with my Goldwing. Every year or so, I end up having to top off the coolant level. If you were leaking it, you would know as you would smell it. You might be burning it, which would be an indication of an internal seal or gasket failure. However, I think it's just the water mixed with the coolant that is boiling off.

Joe
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Year: 1984
Make: Goldwing Interstate 1200
Model: 1984 1200 I with many add ons
The only thing bad about DEX cool was in the Vortec chevy engines the Dex cool ate the hell out of the intake manifold gaskets. I know it also ate the intake manifold and had to have it rewelded and put the non plastic gaskets in. I use the peak all everything and change it once a year 0n the 84 wing

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page