Front wheel question - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800
Front wheel question

Part of living and riding in Australia is the constant threat of striking a kangaroo. I had the first experience of striking one on my new 2002 Gl1800 recently and have a question in regards to the damage.

While the damage to the bike was very minimal as the front wheel took the impact it did manage to break off the pulser ring located on the right side of the wheel, part number 44515-MCA-971. The ABS light also is now flashing.

My question is what is the purpose of the pulser ring and is it part of the ABS?

Thank you for your help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4089.jpg (60.5 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Yes, it is what signals the ABS. There's one on each wheel.

Please fill in your profile.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffthechef View Post
Part of living and riding in Australia is the constant threat of striking a kangaroo. I had the first experience of striking one on my new 2002 Gl1800 recently and have a question in regards to the damage.

While the damage to the bike was very minimal as the front wheel took the impact it did manage to break off the pulser ring located on the right side of the wheel, part number 44515-MCA-971. The ABS light also is now flashing.

My question is what is the purpose of the pulser ring and is it part of the ABS?

Thank you for your help.

In an ABS system there is a magnetic pickup and a ring like that on each wheel. In one rotation of the wheel, magnetic signals are generated depending on the number of the slots on the ring (more accurate than on most of the cars).
When the ABS control unit can not receive a continuous signal, it thinks that the wheel is locked up and adjusts the brake pressure to gain the wheel control again.
Actually, in modern bikes ABS doesn't wait to react until the wheel slips. It continuously controls the brake pressures on each wheel according to their rotation speeds as you apply the brake.

Last edited by Erdeniz Umman; 12-03-2018 at 03:35 AM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page