Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL 1500 Front Wheel Noise (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/665767-gl-1500-front-wheel-noise.html)

eastkytriker 12-06-2018 08:14 AM

GL 1500 Front Wheel Noise

Hello folks. On my 1990 goldwing/motortrike I have a loud chatter noise in the front wheel at slow speed. Break pads almost new, Wheel bearing changed. When you spin the wheel by hand noise is loud but at highway speed not noticeable. If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone. Speedo drive makes slight noise. Removed cable and lubricated. Thanks in advance

joe in calif 12-06-2018 10:00 AM

If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone

Could it be the brake pads rubbing? If you apply the front brake slightly does the noise go away?

CrystalPistol 12-06-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastkytriker (Post 5808417)
Hello folks. On my 1990 goldwing/motortrike I have a loud chatter noise in the front wheel at slow speed. Break pads almost new, Wheel bearing changed. When you spin the wheel by hand noise is loud but at highway speed not noticeable. If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone. Speedo drive makes slight noise. Removed cable and lubricated. Thanks in advance

Wheel axle needs adjustment in fork leg to maintain minimum clearance as in shop manual.

eastkytriker 12-06-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPistol (Post 5808427)
Wheel axle needs adjustment in fork leg to maintain minimum clearance as in shop manual.

That makes sense. I had the forks off and rebuilt them. Had the noise before but it seems to be getting worse. I left the pinch bolts loose on the bottom held the front brakes and gave it some good bounces, Is there a better way to align them.

eastkytriker 12-06-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe in calif (Post 5808425)
If calipers removed and spun by hand noise gone

Could it be the brake pads rubbing? If you apply the front brake slightly does the noise go away?

The sounds changes some but don't go away. If you back the pads off by collapsing the pistons it goes away.

DBohrer 12-06-2018 11:59 AM

1. Correct axle alignment.

2. Return hole in master cylinder open and clear.

3. Remove caliper pistons, clean and lube seals and pistons.

4. Lube caliper slide pins.

eastkytriker 12-06-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5808437)
1. Correct axle alignment.

2. Return hole in master cylinder open and clear.

3. Remove caliper pistons, clean and lube seals and pistons.

4. Lube caliper slide pins.

Return hole is open and clear. Replaced pads and lubed slide pins, Don' really want to remove pistons (if it's not broke don't fix it) and not sure on the alignment on the axle. Is there a way to check?

Erdeniz Umman 12-06-2018 12:21 PM

It seems the pistons do not move in and out easily and equally. I would remove and clean them.

ALEX BERECZKY 12-06-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPistol (Post 5808427)

+1... The left brake caliper is probably hitting the Bolts on the brake rotor. Easy fix:

Steps:
1) Loosen Axle bolt.
2) Loosen all (4) pinch bolts.
3) Use (.020") shim to set gap, between left brake caliper (not the pad) and the brake rotor... or just verify Same Gap both sides of left caliper.
4) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Left side.
5) Tighten Axle Bolt
6) Tighten (2) pinch bolts on Right side

DBohrer 12-06-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastkytriker (Post 5808439)
Return hole is open and clear. Replaced pads and lubed slide pins, Don' really want to remove pistons (if it's not broke don't fix it) and not sure on the alignment on the axle. Is there a way to check?

Seems to me you have a noise you want to eliminate....:ROFL: