Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Any help will do, not sure which forum to look at (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/665815-any-help-will-do-not-sure-forum-look.html)

bkindred91 12-12-2018 10:27 AM

Any help will do, not sure which forum to look at

Just bought a Goldwing last night. Unfortunately it is inoperable, that is when I found this forum, so hopefully, I will be able to figure out what's going on. So far I know that I need a new clutch master cylinder (possibly a new clutch as well), a new stator or try to find out what is draining the battery so quickly. The gentleman I bought it from said that there are grounds that are going bad? Also unless I am missing something I need to figure out what is going on with the rear brake since I couldn't turn it on I couldn't see if the lack of resistance, while the bike was off, should be concerning.

rayjoe 12-12-2018 10:48 AM

goldwing

You did not say whether the engine runs or not. Your first step should be to make sure the engine is good. The other stuff can be fixed later.

If the stator is bad you're in for an expensive repair. It might not be worth fixing.

A little more information about the bike would be helpful. Mileage, condition, etc.. A picture would also help assess your situation.

Good luck,

Rayjoe

bkindred91 12-12-2018 10:49 AM

I, unfortunately, haven't been able to turn it on because of the drained battery, I am hoping that its just something in the wiring from the battery because I have heard that a Stator replacement can be pricy

AZgl1800 12-12-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkindred91 (Post 5809347)
I, unfortunately, haven't been able to turn it on because of the drained battery, I am hoping that its just something in the wiring from the battery because I have heard that a Stator replacement can be pricy

so we have to assume that going in well informed, the purchase price was adjusted to you possibly knowing it won't be fixable....

anything is fixable, but at what price? :|

bkindred91 12-12-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZgl1800 (Post 5809351)
so we have to assume that going in well informed, the purchase price was adjusted to you possibly knowing it won't be fixable....

anything is fixable, but at what price? :|

unfortunately, I was not that well informed about it and just kind of made the spontaneous decision I mean I only paid about 250 for the bike. Which I feel is coming back to bite me.

rayjoe 12-12-2018 10:57 AM

Your first step should be a new battery or see if you can charge the old one. Remove the battery clamps from the bike to recharge it. That way it will not be drained by what ever is the problem.

Once you have a good battery. See if it will turn over.

Rayjoe

bkindred91 12-12-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjoe (Post 5809355)
Your first step should be a new battery or see if you can charge the old one. Remove the battery clamps from the bike to recharge it. That way it will not be drained by whatever is the problem.

Once you have a good battery. See if it will turn over.

Rayjoe

Sounds like a reasonable starting point, the guy I got it from said it was running a few weeks ago. So hopefully when I get that turned over it will let me know what else might be going on.

rayjoe 12-12-2018 11:04 AM

goldwing

Just read post #5. Do not panic, yet. $250 is not the end of the world. If the bike has a bad stator but is in good to fair condition cosmetically, you may be able to recoup your money by selling parts.

Post a picture?

Rayjoe

bkindred91 12-12-2018 11:22 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayjoe (Post 5809359)
Just read post #5. Do not panic, yet. $250 is not the end of the world. If the bike has a bad stator but is in good to fair condition cosmetically, you may be able to recoup your money by selling parts.

Post a picture?

Rayjoe

there is an idea I didn't think of and for sure I can I have a few. So I took a picture of the things I thought might cause me some problems from just what I can see.

Bike...and Dennis 12-12-2018 12:27 PM

Yes, you can sell parts and probably turn a profit. But not knowing anything about the bike will make that a challenge.

Is the left saddlebag gone, or laying around somewhere?

Where are you in Phoenix? I can probably offer some assistance.