GL1500 Time Keeps Changing - Any Advice Please?? - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Morning all. Just another update.

Last evening and this morning I switched the ignition on and initially all was fine. I waited for a couple of hours, switched the ignition on once more, and sure enough the problem reoccurred. What I have discovered now is should I disconnect and immediately reconnect the white multiplug, (C66), everything appears to work fine again, for a short time at least. I have checked the pins and sockets as best as I can and cannot see any obvious faults.

I intend to leave the bike as it is for now, except for switching the ignition on from time to time until the problem reoccurs, as I'm sure it will? I will then disconnect and reconnect the C66 multiplug to see what happens and go from there!

Going back to one of my previous posts I did suggest that the C66 connector was a possible cause and put cable ties around this thinking there may be a faulty connection? The cable ties didn't cure the problem at that time.

The potential question then is going to be is the connector itself at fault or is there an underlying fault within the cluster itself? Maybe a faulty component that short circuits, or open circuits after a short time and works again once the power is terminated when the multiplug is disconnected? I just don't know at this stage.

I don't know if I can do this but I was thinking of posting videos of the dash working properly and when it shows the fault. The question is: Can videos be uploaded or not?

Last edited by chris301up; 01-14-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 AM

Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
I want to repeat my previous post once more.
Have you checked the C58 connector above the left fan?
There was a similar issue in the following link and the problem was the corroded connector.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ng-lights.html
post #53 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdeniz Umman View Post
I want to repeat my previous post once more.
Have you checked the C58 connector above the left fan?
There was a similar issue in the following link and the problem was the corroded connector.
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...ng-lights.html
Hi Erdeniz

I was in fact thinking about this a little earlier but, after reading the post, decided not to check this for the time being as I have power to the LCD screen and all ancillaries. I haven't discounted this as a potential cause just yet, but with our inclement weather I'm unable to get outside to remove the fairing at the moment. I have just checked again and everything is working as it should, but I can guarantee within 24 - 48 hours the problem will return. I don't have the luxury of working in a garage so will have a look at this connector when I can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

A very kind fellow 'Winger contacted me today regarding a spare speedo cluster he has with a faulty LCD screen which he says I can have. I will have this, replace the faulty screen with the new one I fitted to mine, and see if that helps? I've just got to wait now until he can sort this for me. I think its worth giving it a try. I have nothing to lose now!

post #55 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I'm not very good at this modern computer stuff but I've attempted to make a video of this issue and posted it on YouTube.

The first part of the video shows the LCD screen and dash / meter assembly working as it should. When switching on the ignition the 'bulb test' sequence functions normally and the 'cruise set' and 'cruise on' warning lights remain illuminated for a few seconds before extinguishing. This is how this should be working. The time remains correct also.

The second part of the video shows the developing fault with the LCD screen and dash / meter assembly after leaving it connected for just a few hours. When switching on the ignition the 'bulb test' sequence functions incorrectly and the 'cruise set' and 'cruise on' warning lights extinguish almost immediately, thus the fault has fully developed. The time has also become erratic and incorrect. This fault remains like this from here onwards. Sometimes, but not always, this issue can be temporarily cured by disconnecting the multiplugs at the rear of the dash / meter assembly, but again the fault 'rears it's ugly head' again after just a few hours.

This should give some idea of this annoying and ongoing problem myself, and perhaps others are experiencing?

Here is the link:

post #56 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Right everyone. Just another update. I have been discussing this problem with another fellow Winger in the UK, and following this decided to start over. I have reinstalled the original LCD (with 'bleed'), removed all the LED's and refitted the original standard bulbs.

I may be a little premature here but can say that so far everything seems to be working fine, with no obvious signs of this annoying and ongoing fault.

It appears that the problem could be with the LED installation itself, possibly with the resistors, in particular the one bridging the low fuel warning light? I, personally, have never liked bridging wiring in that way. Not to say it doesn't work. Perhaps the value of this resistor is incorrect, or just incompatible with the circuit in some way?

When I know more I'll post my findings.

Last edited by chris301up; 01-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
post #57 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM

I did the same LED installation on my '98. I didn't like the idea of the parallel resistor installations either but they worked okay except for the Fuel light. I didn't trust that it would come on when needed with that resistor bridging the LED.

And, the HI Beam LED was too bright. So, I removed the parallel resistor from the Fuel light and then reinstalled a standard 194 bulb. I am certain that the new bulb will last a very long time since it usually only comes on during the test cycle. I tested the Fuel light and it works as advertised.

I hot glued a small piece of card stock onto the top of the HI beam LED and the Cruise LED's. They were a bit too bright.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #58 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briese View Post
I did the same LED installation on my '98. I didn't like the idea of the parallel resistor installations either but they worked okay except for the Fuel light. I didn't trust that it would come on when needed with that resistor bridging the LED.

And, the HI Beam LED was too bright. So, I removed the parallel resistor from the Fuel light and then reinstalled a standard 194 bulb. I am certain that the new bulb will last a very long time since it usually only comes on during the test cycle. I tested the Fuel light and it works as advertised.

I hot glued a small piece of card stock onto the top of the HI beam LED and the Cruise LED's. They were a bit too bright.
Hi briese. You didn't experience the same issue as me then with the time running erratically and the bulb test function not working correctly? I did notice only yesterday that the low fuel warning lamp wasn't working. Another reason why I decided to take all the LED's out for the moment.

I may install LED's and just have normal bulbs for the low fuel, cruise on and cruise set and that will alleviate the need for resistors. I've just been looking for suitable new bulbs on Ebay in the UK but cannot find anything suitable at the moment

I do agree that the main beam is a little bright with LED, but I think I prefer this as the normal bulbs on mine tend to be very dull
post #59 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
Hi briese. You didn't experience the same issue as me then with the time running erratically and the bulb test function not working correctly? I did notice only yesterday that the low fuel warning lamp wasn't working. Another reason why I decided to take all the LED's out for the moment.
No, I did not have any problems like you have had. Just the Fuel light that did not come on when it was supposed to. I took out the parallel resistor and reinstalled the 194 bulb .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
I may install LED's and just have normal bulbs for the low fuel, cruise on and cruise set and that will alleviate the need for resistors. I've just been looking for suitable new bulbs on Ebay in the UK but cannot find anything suitable at the moment

I do agree that the main beam is a little bright with LED, but I think I prefer this as the normal bulbs on mine tend to be very dull
Believe me, you will see on a dark night that the main beam LED is way too bright. At first I didn't think it was but after riding through a mountain pass on a dark and stormy night, it bugged hell out of me. I had to put a diffuser over it as soon as I got home.

1998 - GL1500 w/175,000 miles
2003 - GL1800 w/106,000 miles
post #60 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Another update. I have today spent a few hours working upon the meter/dash assembly once more. I have replaced most of the standard bulbs with LED's with the exception of the 'Cruise On', 'Cruise Set' and 'Low Fuel' warning lights.

At this stage everything works exactly as it should so, bearing in mind the ongoing problem I have been having, would suggest that the resistor bridging the low fuel circuit is incompatible in some way? I can confirm the resistor fitted is 470 Ohm 1/2 Watt. Maybe the value of the resistor is incorrect? I'm just not sure! Maybe someone could advise with this?

I really would have preferred to replace all the standard bulbs with LED's but, without a solution, think I'll just leave the bulbs in these three warning lights, for the foreseeable future at least.

I will also say that I agree with Briese that the Main Beam and Neutral warning lamps (fitted with LED's) tended to be a little too bright, so I removed the green and blue lenses from the front of the meter assembly, (they are just a push fit) and glued some diffusers, cut from the same milk carton used for the internal diffusers, on the inside of these and they work brilliantly. Just a suggestion for anyone else who has a similar issue?

It certainly looks like I am making progress and would like to thank all of you that helped and advised along the way.

redwing52 likes this.

Last edited by chris301up; 01-19-2019 at 03:27 AM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page