GL1500 Time Keeps Changing - Any Advice Please?? - Page 7 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 19Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
chris301up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rowley Regis, England
Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
Another update. I have today spent a few hours working upon the meter/dash assembly once more. I have replaced most of the standard bulbs with LED's with the exception of the 'Cruise On', 'Cruise Set' and 'Low Fuel' warning lights.

At this stage everything works exactly as it should so, bearing in mind the ongoing problem I have been having, would suggest that the resistor bridging the low fuel circuit is incompatible in some way? I can confirm the resistor fitted is 470 Ohm 1/2 Watt. Maybe the value of the resistor is incorrect? I'm just not sure! Maybe someone could advise with this?

I really would have preferred to replace all the standard bulbs with LED's but, without a solution, think I'll just leave the bulbs in these three warning lights, for the foreseeable future at least.

I will also say that I agree with Briese that the Main Beam and Neutral warning lamps (fitted with LED's) tended to be a little too bright, so I removed the green and blue lenses from the front of the meter assembly, (they are just a push fit) and glued some diffusers, cut from the same milk carton used for the internal diffusers, on the inside of these and they work brilliantly. Just a suggestion for anyone else who has a similar issue?

It certainly looks like I am making progress and would like to thank all of you that helped and advised along the way.

Well everyone. It looks as though I was premature with my post. Once again I thought I'd located the problem by removing the resistors and LED's as mentioned in my post. But no! After leaving the cluster connected for approximately 24 hours, I have just switched the ignition on to have what I thought would be a final check, and the issue is still there.

A fellow Winger in the UK is hopefully sending me another cluster. My next stage has to be fitting this and see what happens I think?

If anyone has any further ideas then please comment



chris301up is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post

Well everyone. It looks as though I was premature with my post. Once again I thought I'd located the problem by removing the resistors and LED's as mentioned in my post. But no! After leaving the cluster connected for approximately 24 hours, I have just switched the ignition on to have what I thought would be a final check, and the issue is still there.

A fellow Winger in the UK is hopefully sending me another cluster. My next stage has to be fitting this and see what happens I think?

If anyone has any further ideas then please comment



Chris,
Maybe click on the link below and send off a private message. Refer him to your thread. If anyone has an answer he is one of the most likely.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...sierra-mc.html
.
.
.
.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is offline  
post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
chris301up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rowley Regis, England
Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Chris,
Maybe click on the link below and send off a private message. Refer him to your thread. If anyone has an answer he is one of the most likely.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...sierra-mc.html
Thanks Redwing 52. I have sent a message and I'll see what transpires
chris301up is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
chris301up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rowley Regis, England
Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Posts: 334
Hi all

Just a question regarding the problem that's niggling at the back of my mind?

I will be changing the LCD cluster assembly, including PCB as soon as a kind fellow Winger has posted this to me. In the meantime I have been thinking about this in more detail. If I wait for the issue to ' raise its ugly head' and I disconnect the multiplugs at the rear of the meter assembly, wait for a short amount of time and then reconnect the multiplugs, everything seems to work fine again for a few hours at least.

However, when the problem reoccurs, should I disconnect battery, wait an equivalent amount of time before reconnecting the problem remains. Surely, disconnecting the power source either at the multiplugs or at the battery should have exactly the same effect, shouldn't it? Even with a possible faulty cluster unit?

Am I thinking about this too much or completely missing something?

Last edited by chris301up; 01-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.
chris301up is offline  
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,217
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
Hi all

Just a question regarding the problem that's niggling at the back of my mind?

I will be changing the LCD cluster assembly, including PCB as soon as a kind fellow Winger has posted this to me. In the meantime I have been thinking about this in more detail. If I wait for the issue to ' raise its ugly head' and I disconnect the multiplugs at the rear of the meter assembly, wait for a short amount of time and then reconnect the multiplugs, everything seems to work fine again for a few hours at least.

However, when the problem reoccurs, should I disconnect battery, wait an equivalent amount of time before reconnecting the problem remains. Surely, disconnecting the power source either at the multiplugs or at the battery should have exactly the same effect, shouldn't it? Even with a possible faulty cluster unit?

Am I thinking about this too much or completely missing something?
I would think it would have the same effect. No thoughts come to mind as to why not.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
chris301up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rowley Regis, England
Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I would think it would have the same effect. No thoughts come to mind as to why not.
Thank you Dave. I didn't think it should. It has to be the cluster unit I would now think?
chris301up is offline  
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
Hi all

Just a question regarding the problem that's niggling at the back of my mind?

I will be changing the LCD cluster assembly, including PCB as soon as a kind fellow Winger has posted this to me. In the meantime I have been thinking about this in more detail. If I wait for the issue to ' raise its ugly head' and I disconnect the multiplugs at the rear of the meter assembly, wait for a short amount of time and then reconnect the multiplugs, everything seems to work fine again for a few hours at least.

However, when the problem reoccurs, should I disconnect battery, wait an equivalent amount of time before reconnecting the problem remains. Surely, disconnecting the power source either at the multiplugs or at the battery should have exactly the same effect, shouldn't it? Even with a possible faulty cluster unit?

Am I thinking about this too much or completely missing something?
What if there were wires that have high resistance short in the harness that is before the plug. If you disconnect the plug you might eliminate the short temporarily. If you disconnect the battery you just take power away temporarily. I had a relay that worked like that a few times. Had an issue and unplug the relay, plug it back in and all was well until the next time the relay was activated. Then the issue returned until you unplugged the relay again. The relay had a short in the coil. Tha short was not good enough to pull the relay in. It was however good enough to hold the relay on once engaged.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is offline  
post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:19 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator
 
AZgl1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oologah, Indian Territory, USA...
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Posts: 57,160
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
What if there were wires that have high resistance short in the harness that is before the plug. If you disconnect the plug you might eliminate the short temporarily. If you disconnect the battery you just take power away temporarily. I had a relay that worked like that a few times. Had an issue and unplug the relay, plug it back in and all was well until the next time the relay was activated. Then the issue returned until you unplugged the relay again. The relay had a short in the coil. Tha short was not good enough to pull the relay in. It was however good enough to hold the relay on once engaged.



I would pretty much rule that thought out, as the cluster current draw is so miniscule as to not to be considered...


it is in the very small milliAmp range.
If that, a voltage is applied to the segments to make the LCD segments go blank, or dark.
redwing52 likes this.

~ John


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AZgl1800 is offline  
post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
chris301up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rowley Regis, England
Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Posts: 334
Another update folks. I have today received, and fitted another cluster assembly, including the new LCD screen I purchased from Tanin Autoelectronix, but have not installed the LED's for the 'Low Fuel', 'Cruise On' or 'Cruise Set' warning lamps. I will wait now and see if the fault develops now over the next 24 to 48 hours or so? Fingers crossed !!!


ADDENDUM

Further to my previous post I am very pleased to confirm that the aforementioned problem hasn't recurred. I have also reinstalled the 'Low Fuel', 'Cruise On' and 'Cruise Set' LED's including resistors, and these seem to working as they should.

I think I can now confidently say that the problem was in fact a fault with the PCB within the cluster itself. If I can discover exactly what the fault is I will post my findings. In the meantime many thanks again to all who have helped along the way


AZgl1800, redwing52 and DBohrer like this.

Last edited by chris301up; 01-27-2019 at 11:21 AM.
chris301up is offline  
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Z'Hills Florida
Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1500SE Trike
Posts: 4
I have the same problem . Time changes at 10 sec. per minute thats 6 minutes per minute. after 50 miles it starts correct time. I wonder is there a battery that keeps time when bike is off?
RichGL1500$ is offline  
Reply

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please, please, PLEASE !!! Chewman Miscellaneous Forum 2 12-23-2015 10:11 PM
Clock keeps wrong time. Dave B. Goldwing Technical Forum 9 03-12-2010 10:35 AM
In need of a frame, please, please, please TrackT2411 For Sale/Wanted Forum 20 07-10-2008 12:47 AM
Changing the fork oil 95 GL1500, need advice bamf_shadow Goldwing Technical Forum 1 02-11-2007 11:12 AM
GL1100 standard 1980 any advice is good advice, drking Goldwing Technical Forum 4 04-18-2006 12:05 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome