GL1500 Time Keeps Changing - Any Advice Please?? - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGL1500$ View Post
I have the same problem . Time changes at 10 sec. per minute thats 6 minutes per minute. after 50 miles it starts correct time. I wonder is there a battery that keeps time when bike is off?
Yes the # 13 backup fuse located in the relay box. It gets power (even when the ignition switch is off) and it powers the memory for the clock, radio presets, and CB channel.

However, you might have a "printed circuit board" issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Yes the # 13 backup fuse located in the relay box. It gets power (even when the ignition switch is off) and it powers the memory for the clock, radio presets, and CB channel.

However, you might have a "printed circuit board" issue.
Mine does that, and it seems to be worse on high humid days. The clock will not only change, but run fast. But on dry days, it runs normally. In my case, I think my digital display might be going bonkers.

Joe
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Quote:
I have the same problem . Time changes at 10 sec. per minute thats 6 minutes per minute. after 50 miles it starts correct time. I wonder is there a battery that keeps time when bike is off?
No RichGL1500S. The power for the memory is taken form the 'Backup Fuse', (number 13 if I recall correctly?), 5 amp found within the relay box. There isn't a separate integral battery for this. Start by checking this fuse and go from there.

There are many posts regarding this issue which seem to plague certain GL1500's, together with suggested remedies, which seemed to have rectified this issue in some cases! I tried most, if not all of them but, in my case, they didn't work for me. A replacement printed circuit board, from a 1988 model in my case, sorted the problems in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
No RichGL1500S. The power for the memory is taken form the 'Backup Fuse', (number 13 if I recall correctly?), 5 amp found within the relay box. There isn't a separate integral battery for this. Start by checking this fuse and go from there.

There are many posts regarding this issue which seem to plague certain GL1500's, together with suggested remedies, which seemed to have rectified this issue in some cases! I tried most, if not all of them but, in my case, they didn't work for me. A replacement printed circuit board, from a 1988 model in my case, sorted the problems in the end.
I won an alarm clock once for a safety prize at work. If you unplugged it and plugged it back in, or if the electricity would go out momentarily it would run backwards. Had a good excuse if I was late for work though. They gave me the clock.
AZgl1800 and DBohrer like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post

The printed circuit board issues was mainly with the 1996 year and possibly a few of the early produced 1997 year bikes. Not surprised to hear the 1988 corrected your issues....!!

Psst: Chris301up, for the 1988 - 1992 the "backup" fuse is # 9 (not in the relay box).....!! !993 -2000 is # 13 in the relay box.....!!
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Quote:

You could be driving too fast. Einstein's General Relativity sayz that time slows as you approach the speed of light.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
I no longer have my 1500 but I have helped others with this problem. The reason your time shifts until the bike warms up is that Honda borked up this part of their design. They have a clock that gets set with the switch on the dash but they left the input to the clock chip too high of impedance for all conditions that a bike will experience in the real world.

Two things work against that in the environment (besides electrical noise).
1. humidity
2. contaminants between connections.

The two together can overcome the high impedence and cause the clock chip to think the adjustment switch is engaging. Even if just intermittently.

This is why your clock is doing screwy stuff until the bike warms up and drives the humidity away at the connector, despite any impurities.

This is also why cleaning things often helps but the best thing to do is to overcome the high impedance of the clock inputs where the time setting wires enter the clock module.

To do this I suggest adding a 10K ohm resistor (any wattage) to both inputs and the other end of the resistors both go to the + voltage driving the clock. This makes the inputs to the clock impedance 10k rather than higher. This overcomes both 1 and 2 above

The switches themselves normally switch to ground when adjustments are being made and since they are low impedance devices, they easil override the 10k pull up resistors. You can also use 4.7k or even less but 10k should do the job and if you get too low, you will be putting too much current thru the resistors when making time adjustments.

This problem and others like it are most often seen in high humidity areas like Florida and England. It is also seen in bikes stored over the winter in unprotected cold areas until the bike gets run and warmed up for the season.

As I said, I no longer have my GL but as I recall this is the best way to overcome the environmental optimism of the Honda engineers.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Rudy, can you mark up a diagram of how you mean for the resistors to be inserted? Is it on the ckt board where the hour/min switch has its input?
Thank you for your expertise. Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Good to see you again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Clock ckt.pdf (210.4 KB, 6 views)

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Psst: Chris301up, for the 1988 - 1992 the "backup" fuse is # 9 (not in the relay box).....!! !993 -2000 is # 13 in the relay box.....!!

Yes I agree. Mine is 1997 so backup fuse in relay box
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Monkey with a Football

Model: Linux, Firewalls & VPNs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellboy40 View Post
Rudy, can you mark up a diagram of how you mean for the resistors to be inserted? Is it on the ckt board where the hour/min switch has its input?
Thank you for your expertise. Haven't seen you on the forum for a while. Good to see you again.
Thanks. Glad to be back. As I said I no longer have my bike. If I did I'd use a voltmeter to confirm the three wires coming from the adjuster switch.
First I'd make sure the green/black wire is in fact ground. Next I'd switch on aux power to light up the LCD and confirm that the other two wires for the adjuster switch are around 5vdc and not 12vdc.

All that being true, my diagram markup pretty much shows the changes recommended. It doesn't matter where along the wires involved that the resistors should be applied but since it's possible to do so externally to the clock module, I'd avoid getting further inside it.

All that said, this markup assumes the following three things:
1. The green/black wire is the common of the switch and it is ground.
2. If the common to the switch is ground then the other two wires must float to some + voltage for the switch to pull down to ground when each adjustment is made.
3. Based on experience, that the + voltage the two non-ground wires to the switch are floated to no more than +5vdc. I wouldn't want to try to force-float the clock inputs to 12v if the inputs expect no more than 5v even though they probably have over-voltage clamping diodes on the inputs.

This is why I recommend someone confirming the 3 wires with a meter before adding the resistors.

I chose 4.7k resistors rather than 10k because I wanted 1ma pull ups to overcome humidity and dirt vs the lesser .5ma the 10k resistors would have provided.

flylow likes this.

Rudy

“...and the rabid dog they gave me
wasn't too much fun”

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page