Front Brakes on GL1500 - Sidecar+Disability - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Question Front Brakes on GL1500 - Sidecar+Disability

Howdy,

(My goldwing (1995 GL1500) has a California sidecar attached).

I have a disability, missing my right leg (above the knee). Which means pressing the brake pedal is not a thing I can do.
I ride two wheelers, and use just the front brakes, but with dual disk up front (and weighing like 700 pounds less) that has always been enough.

Currently the right hand brake is plumbed to the right front caliper and the disc brake on the California sidecar. It is inadequate to stop that monster machine ( 1200-ish pounds before passengers, dog and camping gear). I find that if I apply the front brake And downshift like a madman, engine braking helps ... a lot. But this is not a winning long term strategy. Downshifting quickly is difficult and risky in a panic stop situation. The rear tire is a car tire. So if I downshift hard/fast enough I can actual lock up the rear tire. Yup we slow down quickly, but this is asking to break something. Something expensive.

So: Options ...

Activate the brake pedal master cylinder with left foot.

I am not a master fabricator. Most of my **** works for a while, but out in the wild, under harsh conditions ... not so much ...

Fabricating a foot pedal on the left side to activate the rear brake caliper, that can withstand the abuse of stopping and especially in a panic stop ... my **** would probably break (A man has got to know his limitations (Dirty Harry )). So before I pay sparky $75 / hour to fabricate me a pedal ...

This I could do:

If I plumb the right hand brake lever to activate both front wheel calipers will that be better? (No anti lock brakes on this old girl) It is a sidecar, so if I lock up the front wheel, it is not a fatal event ... just a flat spot on the tire. My cunning plan is to swap the sidecar brake and the left front caliper master cylinder sources. So hand brake activates both front calipers, and the foot brake activates both the rear tire and the sidecar brake. If ever I manage to create a pedal with which I can activate the rear master cylinder, I will gain the stopping power of those two other tires, but in the meanwhile, I get the full stopping power of the front tire.

I know the bike (Sidecar) will tend to want to veer left on braking. This can be compensated with brute force input by the pilot into the handlebars. I have the upper body strength to manage that. I have had other sidecars with no sidecar brake, so previous experience is my proof for that premise ...

Finally we get to the question:

Is the front brake Master cylinder up to the task ? Or will I have to pump the brake ? ( Pumping the front brake seems like the wrong approach, especially in a panic situation ) I understand pressure is equal regardless of the size of master cylinder size.

The question is 'Will Stock Master cylinder to move enough fluid to drive two calipers (slave cylinders) with one squeeze ?

Or do I need to move to a larger master cylinder that is made to move enough fluid to drive two slave cylinders ?

I love my Goldwing, with a sidecar and I want to be safe. I would be grateful for any thoughts /comments / suggestions ?

Thanks !
John

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
2015 Ural Sidecar - Gear up Forest Camo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
There is a special hand brake that has two levers for it, allows Front, and Rear brake controls...

I will try to find it..........

found it

https://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Deleted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
You might get away with plumbing both front brakes to the front MC if you used braided lines but normally I doubt the original MC would do it with rubber lines, maybe not even with braided lines. The MC John provided a link to would be the best solution. Even with it you would probably want to unlink the brakes & make the front and rear/sidecar separate.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Its an idea that's way over my capability, but, , , use Stainless steel brake lines for the front brake and insert a "T" to "link" the front brakes. I'm uncertain whether that front master cylinder will handle it but the "experts" should have an answer.

I'd consider SS brake lines to the rear caliper, and "link" it to the sidecar disc brake. The pedal for the rear brakes could be activated under the left "heel", similar to the set-up for a "heel-toe" shifter configuration. I would think that master cylinder can deal with both brakes here.

I'm sure others will have better ideas, , ,i'm just thinking out loud here
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Claude at freedomsidecars.com might be able to advise you on this.

Middleburg, Pa.
Phone (570) 837-5120
email us: [email protected]
formerly C. Stanley Motorsports Corporation
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

"There is a special hand brake that has two levers for it, allows Front, and Rear brake controls...
I will try to find it..........
found it
https://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com/klever.html
"

Thank you for looking that up ... I have looked into that and it is really expensive North of $2000 !
Hoping for a cheaper solution

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
Is the front brake Master cylinder up to the task ? Or will I have to pump the brake ? ( Pumping the front brake seems like the wrong approach, especially in a panic situation ) I understand pressure is equal regardless of the size of master cylinder size.

The question is 'Will Stock Master cylinder to move enough fluid to drive two calipers (slave cylinders) with one squeeze ?

Or do I need to move to a larger master cylinder that is made to move enough fluid to drive two slave cylinders ?

There are GL1500 Trikes that have been converted for the right front brake lever (master cylinder) to apply both front brake calipers.

The GL1000 Gold Wing's (while not quite as heavy as your rig) were designed for the front brake lever (master cylinder) to apply both front brake calipers.

Your front brake master cylinder should handle applying both front calipers with no significant issues....!

Well of course ! This issue must have already been solved by the trike engineers. Thanks, that is a great place to carry on the search ... Sometimes it is just knowing where to start looking to find the answer ...

Cheers,
John

John
1995 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VF750c
2014 Honda CTX 700
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
One other idea might be to consider increasing the effectiveness of the rear brake by increasing disc diameter. A larger disc will increase the stopping power significantly. The only drawback might be that brake pad wear will increase as well. Also you might have to be careful that too much braking on the sidecar might make the bike pull to the right during hard braking. A brake proportioning valve between the bike and sidecar could fix that issue though.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post

The GL1000 Gold Wing's (while not quite as heavy as your rig) were designed for the front brake lever (master cylinder) to apply both front brake calipers.
!
So do the 80-82 1100s but the master cylinder has a bigger bore than the ones with linked brakes. I worked on a 1500 side car rig that had both front brakes on the front MC but it had been bored out to 5/8".
limpy45 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page