43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:29 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldwingA1500 View Post

I found a few of them on ebay....averaging about $50 bucks to $130 bucks. I wonder if I can trust that those ICU's are fully functional.

Joe
Just be sure to NOT buy one with a black label, blue or green is fine.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Just be sure to NOT buy one with a black label, blue or green is fine.
Scared me for a second. I had to go back and check. The one I ordered is a used one off ebay for $50 bucks and it has a green label. All the seller stated was that it was working when removed. So hoping for the best. I only found about 4 ICM's. Wonder what's going to happen when all of the used ICM's are gone. I thought of ordering a pulse generator just for extra peace of mind, but decided not to. Mine appears to be good per the multimeter, but the upper PG wires were sometime kinked and soft at the bend. But I'm sure it's okay.

Should be in by next Thursday. Meanwhile, my carbs should be ready for pickup by Tuesday or Wednesday and then I can rebuild them. I merely dropped them off at Honda for machine cleaning, but told them I'd rebuild them myself. All I am replacing on them are the float needles, and the seals. Jets can be cleaned.

Once I get the engine running, the final task is getting my hydraulic clutch to work; the plunger inside the master cylinder got stuck when I squeezed the trigger, and I'm not how I'm going to free that up. I might end up having to replace the clutch master cylinder, and the slave cylinder (which I suspect is leaking).

Once the bike is running and drivable (will need a new front tire), the final project is painting it and restoring the seat and back rest. Then shine all of the chrome, and it will be finished.

Oh the joy, money, and fun in a restoration project.

Joe
post #93 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
The only suggestion I have left is to take off the Ignition control module and really look at all the wires to be sure it is not an issue with an external wire. That would be about the last thing I could think of other than an internal failure of the module.
I checked the wires going in and out of the ICM at the connectors, and their respective components. All checked good for continuity. I ordered one today off ebay, so I hope it isn't a bad one.

Thanks for all of your help. I'll be sure to give you all updates and photo/video of the restoration process. I honestly can't wait to test drive it. I've driven it before 4 years ago when I was first looking for a bike, but he was asking too much for it ($2,000), for a bike that needed new seas, backfired like crazy whenever you roll the throttle, and didn't have any real power; felt much like a moped. So I knew then that the bike needed a bunch of work. The previous owner tried taking it to Myrtle Beach SC for bike week, and it backfired really bad and quit running. He had to tow it home on a trailer and was never able to get it started again; this happened 4 years ago. That's when I think his ICM failed, and the bike ended up sitting out in the elements since that time. When he finally dropped the price to $500 bucks, that's when I got it from him as a restoration project and first-bike for my son.

I'll keep you all posted!

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Question folks...as if I haven't asked enough of them already. LOL

How difficult is it to remove the front fairing? I want to eventually paint the bike, but if the front cover is difficult to remove, then I'll just tape plastic around the rest of the bike. I've decided to paint it its original color. But I'm not sure if I want to paint it gloss black with a little metallic, or flat black without any metallic.

Joe
post #95 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
It's easier to remove it than tape around it.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #96 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldwingA1500 View Post
Question folks...as if I haven't asked enough of them already. LOL

How difficult is it to remove the front fairing? I want to eventually paint the bike, but if the front cover is difficult to remove, then I'll just tape plastic around the rest of the bike. I've decided to paint it its original color. But I'm not sure if I want to paint it gloss black with a little metallic, or flat black without any metallic.

Joe
It isn't hard to get it off. I did mine by myself. I don't think I could have put it back without a helper. It isn't that heavy, just awkward. If you have the mechanical speedometer disconnect the speedo cable at the axle drive. The electrical connectors are on the left hand side. Then there are four bolts, remove the mount bracket with the fairing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web Size Fairing Off.jpg (146.4 KB, 13 views)

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:34 PM

Year: 2014
Model: GL1800C Valkyrie
this is why i ride a new wing and only have fond memories of the old ones . I wish you luck

The best part of growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old
post #98 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
It's easier to remove it than tape around it.
We shall see...I'll probably just remove it so I can clean up around the frame and harnesses.

Joe
post #99 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
It isn't hard to get it off. I did mine by myself. I don't think I could have put it back without a helper. It isn't that heavy, just awkward. If you have the mechanical speedometer disconnect the speedo cable at the axle drive. The electrical connectors are on the left hand side. Then there are four bolts, remove the mount bracket with the fairing.
Thanks for the inputs. I've got a few months to go before I'll be ready to paint it. I'll be sure to send you all before and after pics. By the way, that's very nice (your bike). I kind of like the way it looks naked; looks like a cruiser.

Joe
post #100 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by use2b View Post
this is why i ride a new wing and only have fond memories of the old ones . I wish you luck
I wouldn't mind buying a new one, but just not interested in the payments; especially at age 50.

Older ones utilizing older technology appear to be easier to troubleshoot. Modern vehicles require computers and software, some of which is very expensive. I have a 1997 GL1500 that looks new and I ride that one. The 1200 is for my son when he returns from Korea.

Joe
flylow likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page