Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1991 GL1500 SE cruise control

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  DaveO430 
#1 ·
Hi all, my '91 SE was imported into N Zealand out of Japan, and although is US constructed, e speedometer is calibrated in kilometres per hour. The cruise control does work and I have read somewhere that they work up until around 80 miles per hour. My one will only ste up to an maximum of around 85 kilometres per hour. The maximum legal speed limit in NZ is set at 100 kilometres per hour with a few expressways/motorways allowing 110 kmh or 60-65 miles per hour.
My question is, can the cruise control be adjusted so I can't least ride at the speed limit.
Do you think at because the maximum cruise speed is set from the speedometer reading, which, as it reads in kilometres per hour will only allow the setting to reach maximum 80kmh(+/-).
80 kmh is quite comfortable on some roads where more leisurely riding is required but on the main highways it is just too slow.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

#2 ·
There’s a thread here somewhere how to change wiring so the cruise runs off 4 th gear instead of 5th seems it calibrated off rpm,others will know more about it.

#4 ·
The cruise calculates the speed of the bike by using the RPM and the gear you are in. When you cross the wires the cruise thinks you are in 4th gear when you are actually in 5th. So it thinks you are going slower than you actually are according to the cruise calculation. That allows you more speed. :)

#5 ·
Still there is a descrepency here. The std 5th gear cruise limit on my 1500 is about 75 mph which would translate to 120 kph. The OP says his will not set above 85 kph (about 55 mph or so). Not sure swapping the wires will fix your issue.

#6 ·
Mark, I’m going to suggest a different way to recheck the max speed. If I set the cruise, say at 65, it will drop well below that speed before it stabilizes but if I then tap the accel (or hold it in) I can get it up to the max. In fact holding it in will exceed the max but after releasing the button it will drop back to about 76-77 mph (by speedometer) and hold. So my suggestion is to try this to see what your true max is for your bike. And yes there are adjustments that could be made to linkage and cables to reduce the “droop” after set but since I can work around this by tapping the accel I haven’t bothered.

Reactions: DriverRider
#12 ·
I have tried setting the cruise at its current maximum then upping the speed with the button. I can get the pace up to where I want it but as soon as I stop pushing the button it drops back to around 85kmh again. This weekend I'll swap the wires and try it again. Seems like a relatively easy fix, so fingers crossed.

Got to say, I really appreciate everybody's input. Than you.

Mark

#13 ·
I do not think the two wire modification will work or 1992 and older GL1500's. There is another link somewhere that shows how to do it on pre-1992 models, I just don't know where it is. Sorry. :frown2:
:smile2: I found the link for you. This will work for 1988 through 1992 GL1500's.
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41533

#17 ·
I happen to have a 1991 FSM and wwhen I look up the cruise for the 1991 it only has the speedo input. The later models seem to have the engine speed and speedo signals. I think you ate correct that if a person installed a 1.5 (in) to 1 (out) reducer it would work. The unintended consequence would be that the cruise set point would be delayed also. Wonder if a USA model cruise module would work. At least he could go 80 MPH (about 130 KPH) Might be plug and play??? It seems 1988 to 1991 use the same module and can be had from eBay for about $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.