Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

2005 goldwing coolant leak

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Wayfarer 
#1 ·
Found my goldwing leaking antifreeze . Been sitting up a week and then drove 1 mile to tire shop for tire change. Any idea where to look or what can cause this ? Ty

#8 ·
If you live in a cold climate it is not unusual for the hoses to shrink enough from the cold to leak while sitting. Then when you run the bike the hoses heat up. expand and stop leaking. Tightening all clamps is the answer then.

#10 ·
Wow. Bike has been in garage for a week or so. We have had a bad cold spell. Drove it today just about a mile to get tire. I’ve had it for a few weeks and ride it twice. Haven’t had any leaks at all. Sounds like this is exactly it. I will check all hoses ASAP. New to bikes so thank u guys much. It didn’t leak on carport while sitting. Only after I drove it to shop and parked it did I see the antifreeze at the shop.

#16 ·
I had a mystery coolant leak in my shop once. Was leaking coolant on the top of the engine block on the right side. With all the plastic and hoses strung around there it wasn’t easy to pinpoint. Pressure check indicated leaking coolant tube that plugs into the cylinder head. The Oring was crimped so slightly it never showed up during the warranty period.
There are numerous potential coolant leak areas. Good luck with the lawnmower guy

#18 ·
View attachment 302987 I had a leak in the same spot. I found it was coming from the upper hose clamp of the coolant line behihd the cowling piece right below the right inner fairing air intake. It was dripping down and leaving deposits on top of the right side of the cowl. If yours is like mine Honda puts the hose clamps with the loosening part facing backward so I had to lay on the floor to get the fairing piece off and to loosen the the clamp and turn it to tighten it.

Attachments

#19 ·
I bought my 2008 three years ago. I have fought coolant leaks the whole time I have had it. I stripped it down and tightened hoses and it improved for a little.

This past summer it started leaking much worse. I had a friend who was going to help me but that fell through at the last moment.

Finally I took it to the Goldwing shop. 3 week’s and $900 later I am leak free. Had a leak in the radiator as well as a bad hose.

I hope yours is an easier fix than mine. As bad as I hated spending the money it was really nice to be coolant smell free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.