Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Slippage

4K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Bike...and Dennis 
#1 ·
I have what I can only describe as slippage under heavy accel in upper gears. Could be happening in other gears but i don't notice it as much. I'll drop the clutch into say 4th and hammer down, the bike revs high then catches. Very inconvenient in a sitch where you need it. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
GL1000 clutch

Billy, I replaced the clutch in my '77 several years ago. The bike had less than 100,000 miles on it. It wasn't really that difficult. You have to be meticulously careful with removing and reinstalling the plate. They are easily cracked if you don't loosen and tighten incrementally.
I suppose I would do a clutch adjustment to ensure it is good. Maybe even drain the oil and look for some evidence of clutch material. Not sure what other troubleshooting steps would be necessary to rule out a failing clutch.

#4 ·
I will adjust the clutch, but it doesn't engage/disengage until 1/4 handle. I use whatever the bike calls for as oil, think it's like 10w40. Not scared to replace the clutch, just would like to confirm it first.

#7 ·
Check that your oil is friction modifier free. Just because it’s 10/40 or 15/40 doesn’t mean it’s good for a wet clutch. Mine slips with automotive oils as you describe. Rotella 15/40 works best for me. Someone here will tell you exactly which acronym you’re looking for. JASO

#10 ·
1/4 from all the way out. Driving me nuts. My commute has these badass uphill sweepers and I like to fly up them, but hit fourth and it def slips. 18 degrees and 60 mph on a naked wing is bracing.

#11 ·
Could be the clutch cable itself... Take both ends off and see how freely it will move. Or just the end at the engine.

Happened to me on 2 different bikes.

#18 ·
I would put a new cable on it first and adjust it right, then see if you've still got a problem, just make sure you route it correctly.
Thinking about it, that could be your problem, it can pretty easily be routed wrong, seem to remember that gave me some clutch slip before.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1100-GL-1100-GL1100I-clutch-cable-OEM/401544184589?epid=1511801031&hash=item5d7de6030d:g:zjcAAOSwwE5Wbbe-:rk:11:pf:0
This is the most expensive one on eBay right now, but it's the genuine article, you can get them for $16.
I'm not giving you any crap, because what your riding was my first ever Goldwing in '84. Awesome machine.

#19 ·
It's pretty easy to check if the cable is causing the problem on an 1100. Pull the clutch and release it while watching the arm on the right side of the transmission. if it drops at the same rate you release the lever and has some free play when it is at the bottom of it's stroke (provided you have some free play adjusted into the cable) the cable is good.

#20 ·
Billy: I acquired and restored an 85 Aspencade last year and have the same issue. Hammer down 3rd and 4 Th. gears heavy acceleration the clutch slips. With a wink to other Insistent posts here- Mine is certainly hydraulic. Now I swapped fluid in my first round of service so bleeding the clutch master will be first but next would be clutch service. Though the styling of this ride is dated the bike is magnificent at speed- especially above 70. From -38 degrees in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
What's the JASO rating?

Personally, I don't think it is oil causing your slippage. You will probably want to decide if you can get the swing arm off, or if you will need to pull the motor.

Either way, the clutch is going to have to come out. The damper plate is no longer available new, so you'll need to figure out how to rebuild yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.