Restoration Guru

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
IIRC,

you only have 72 hours to edit each post....
it that gets to be a problem, I can help you get around that issue and make special arrangements to take care of that situation.

You have earned the title "Restoration Guru",

if you don't mind, I would like to add that to your account?
I'd be honored, thanks! And thanks for pointing out the edit time limit, I just spent my lunch going back and dating each post. From now on everything will be pretty much real time. I use this as a written record of what I've done to the bike, and I try to braindump everything as soon as I finish with it so I don't forget. Looking at my pics I can see that I'm only taking about a third of the pics I should though, it's just disruptive to continually stop what I'm doing (usually while I'm dirty) and light, frame, and take a pic.

Oh yeah, I realize I forgot to mention the joy I had trying to take the bike off the lift for the test ride. I had put the bike on the centerstand by locking the front wheel in the chock, then using a jack to lift the bike up high enough to bring the stand down. Then when I started the front end work I pulled the rear wheel dropout out of the stand and used the jack to lift the front of the bike high enough to unbolt the chock, which I then used for picking up the parts bike. Fast forward to me getting ready to pull the bike off the lift. Now, when I put the chock on the table originally, I had a BMW R1150RT, which is roughly as long as my suburban, so I had it mounted way forward. This puts the front tire of the bike right at the front edge. However, when you take a bike off the centerstand, you have to roll it forward. I did not have that room to roll forward. Nor did I have the chock to be able to lift the bike with a jack and stow the center stand. So, I ran a ratchet strap from the stand to the engine guard, to make sure it couldn't possibly accidentally fold. Then I ran two more ratchet straps from the center stand to the back of the lift table, which meant that I had to take off the ramp. I tightened each strap in turn which pulled the bike slowly back along the table by main force till I felt I had enough room. Then I pulled the straps, popped it off the stand, and remembered I didn't put the ramp back on. Hmm, seems my stupidity level is running pretty high today. So now I'm standing next to the bike, the kickstand won't work on the lift and I can't let it go. I end up wedging a roll of tape, a manual, and a wrench under the side stand to hold it up vertical enough that I can manage the rest with one hand while I work myself to the back and put the ramp back on. Then I take it most of the rest of the way off before I hit something on the floor behind the bike and have the same problem, it's half on the ramp and half off, so once again with the roll of tape and manual to hold the bike up while I deal with what's going on behind it. Just keep this in mind in case anybody gets the mistaken idea that I'm as awesome as I try to make myself sound.
dwade likes this.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-06-2019 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Wrong engine size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Ha, Ha! Great story about your adventure getting the bike off the lift!

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

post #93 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post

Oh yeah, I realize I forgot to mention the joy I had trying to take the bike off the lift for the test ride. I had put the bike on the centerstand by locking the front wheel in the chock, then using a jack to lift the bike up high enough to bring the stand down. Then when I started the front end work I pulled the rear wheel dropout out of the stand and used the jack to lift the front of the bike high enough to unbolt the chock, which I then used for picking up the parts bike. Fast forward to me getting ready to pull the bike off the lift. Now, when I put the chock on the table originally, I had a BMW R1100RT, which is roughly as long as my suburban, so I had it mounted way forward. This puts the front tire of the bike right at the front edge. However, when you take a bike off the centerstand, you have to roll it forward. I did not have that room to roll forward. Nor did I have the chock to be able to lift the bike with a jack and stow the center stand. So, I ran a ratchet strap from the stand to the engine guard, to make sure it couldn't possibly accidentally fold. Then I ran two more ratchet straps from the center stand to the back of the lift table, which meant that I had to take off the ramp. I tightened each strap in turn which pulled the bike slowly back along the table by main force till I felt I had enough room. Then I pulled the straps, popped it off the stand, and remembered I didn't put the ramp back on. Hmm, seems my stupidity level is running pretty high today. So now I'm standing next to the bike, the kickstand won't work on the lift and I can't let it go. I end up wedging a roll of tape, a manual, and a wrench under the side stand to hold it up vertical enough that I can manage the rest with one hand while I work myself to the back and put the ramp back on. Then I take it most of the rest of the way off before I hit something on the floor behind the bike and have the same problem, it's half on the ramp and half off, so once again with the roll of tape and manual to hold the bike up while I deal with what's going on behind it. Just keep this in mind in case anybody gets the mistaken idea that I'm as awesome as I try to make myself sound.
Reminds me of when I built an 1100 from the frame up sitting on a milk crate. When I got done I had to think a while to figure out how to get it off the crate.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
It was actually nice today so I snuck in a ride to and a much longer ride from work (on the big Buell). When I got home I hooked the charger up to the wing, color coded and marked the seat heater wires, then tested everything. In hindsight, this is a task better suited for before the seat cover is on and the heaters are glued down. However, all was working appropriately. They're slow to heat, and a bit inconsistent but any heat's better than none. I may end up getting some of these for my other bikes.

Heater wires labled front and rear by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Ambient temp by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Front seat at temp by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Rear seat at temp by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
dwade likes this.
post #95 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
98F will feel good on a 38F day and 40 mph down the road.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 AM

Year: 2006
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
excellent work and description with good humor, if you get tired of mechanical work you can create a new career as a writer.
AZgl1800 and PAPete like this.

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #97 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Today I figured I'd go (almost) all in and ordered LED blinkers and flasher. Almost because the low fuel light will remain incandescent, all other bulbs on the bike will be LED. Should free up a few magic pixies. I've a (all of the kids, really) son who's ridiculously smarter than I am, so I'll ask him to figure out exactly how much amps the bike uses compared to stock. Also ordered an electronic flasher unit for the blinkers, and some rubber edging for the shelter because it seems like it should have some. Then I kind of accidentally bought a medium sized milling machine, so now I need to clear out a corner of the barn for it.
post #98 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Took the license plate bracket out of the evaporust, rinsed it off and sprayed the inside with chain wax to prevent rust. Then when I was just about finished assembling it the ground wire connector broke off, and of course it's not a standard size. Don't care, had one anyway. Cut, stripped, crimped, dielectric greased and reassembled everything.

Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Bellboy40 likes this.
post #99 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Then I reassembled the seat, and used some automotive sound deadener as tape to keep the heater wires away from pinch points. I laid the seat on the KTM, and man is that a tiny bike.

AZgl1800 likes this.
post #100 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Then I figured I'd address the fact that the neutral light was as bright as the headlight. First I tried a smaller, white LED. That made it dimmer but made it look blue. Then I tried green sharpie over the emitters of the green LED I had in there. Nope. Finally I used UV setting Epoxy to make a lens over the emitters, and lightly scuffed that lens to diffuse the light. Perfect!
Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
AZgl1800 and Bellboy40 like this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page