18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Garage
Then I figured I'd address the fact that the neutral light was as bright as the headlight. First I tried a smaller, white LED. That made it dimmer but made it look blue. Then I tried green sharpie over the emitters of the green LED I had in there. Nope. Finally I used UV setting Epoxy to make a lens over the emitters, and lightly scuffed that lens to diffuse the light. Perfect!
Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Year: 1985/2006/1978
Make: Honda/Buell/BMW
Model: GL1200I Interstate
Garage
I just read your thread with considerable interest since I'm gradually working out my own 1985 Interstate "barn find" although mine is pretty unmolested by PO's thankfully. That's a heckuva lot of detail work and commitment on your part! Thanks for the tip on the headlight bypass, think I'll use that.

I also noticed your X and XT and Blast in there... You must be a glutton for punishment brother! My X is a fantastic machine but in its first two years had every problem known to man. Wife and I used to stuff all three cases and head off to Timbuktu on it rain or shine anyway. Sadly it's in dry dock again with fueling issues at 110K...

Really digging my GL, hope you enjoy yours as well once it's sorted.
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Thanks! I have to say, the buells have honestly been some of the least problematic bikes I've owned. Heck, my youngest son got his permit and we went on a thousand mile, 4 day ride down the back of the dragon, him on the blast and me on an FJ1200. Other than a mid-trip emergency oil venting (It wasn't thrilled about being topped up with oil and at redline for hours) it ran perfectly, even after the inevitable whoops. The FJ on the other hand started leaking gas halfway through. There's something inherently correctly wrong in riding a sportbike with a harley engine and dirt bike suspension.

In order to run LED turn signals I had to either add resistors, totally defeating the purpose of low amp LEDs, or add an LED flasher. Obj I went for the flasher. Three wires, +, -, and load. Not enough wire to reach if I cut off the connector, plus with the fairing installed there's no room. Instead I took apart the OEM flasher unit. Epoxied the pins in place, soldered on new wires, two layers of heat shrink plus silastic. Then crimped on new spade connectors with shields, and bonded the mounting lug (and in fact the whole side of the relay) from the old relay to the new one. As usual, no wires cut, immediately reversible and I have spares from the parts bike. Already installed and tested working fine with the incandescent bulbs, LEDs arrive tomorrow.

OEM and LED relay by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Old relay disassembled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
New relay with old connector and bracket by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
I feel the need to point out, I'm an awesome mechanic but none of what I'm doing is hard. Seriously. If you can turn a screwdriver the correct direction then you can do all of what I've done. The only thing that makes me special here is that I have a lot of tools, a really nice shop, and a very understanding wife. (edit; also kids smarter than me that help) I haven't really used any special tools, there's been a bare minimum of welding. It's just been lots of time and effort. Don't be afraid to jump into something like this!
AZgl1800 and trike lady like this.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-08-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
If I could weld or machine my wife would probably never see me again unless she ventured out to the garage.... 😁
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
When I built my barn/garage I put it as far away from the house as I could and still have it be legal. For my wife to come out and bother me requires putting on clothes, shoes, etc. and normally it's easier to forget whatever she was going to yell at me about! Welding is great fun, as is machining. Self taught from books on both, so I'm probably crap but youtube has been a great help lately. Also, jump in! Buy a cheap welder and start sticking stuff together. Years ago I had an AC buzz box, which I still have, that was awful. However it taught me the basics, the hard way. Nowadays the Harbor Freight Vulcan welders are actually dang nice at a good price. My first lathe was a cheap harbor freight that I got secondhand on craigslist even cheaper, once again it taught me the basics the hard way. I made my wife and I matching wedding bands for our 20th anniversary on it.

Bellboy40 likes this.
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
Excellent. 👍
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I don't know what the &#x stuff is supposed to be but I sure don't like it.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
It's Unicode for thumbs up, the forum's just not translating it properly. Nothing malicious.
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Garage
Whoops, sorry, was unaware of that.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page