18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Garage
It's all good. I just went out and pulled off the clutch lever and perch, brought them upstairs and let them have an hour or so being sprayed by the parts washer. Mostly cleaned out the gross sight glass, and got rid of the rest of the nastiness in the reservoir. Probably tomorrow I'll bleed the clutch again and get rid of all the bad fluid I thought already did.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-08-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
I don't know what the &#x stuff is supposed to be but I sure don't like it.

Dennis,
when you see that stuff, they are using Cellphones or Tablets, and the Unicode stuff is just part of the Social Media emoticons....

but, that stuff is not interpreted with the forum's old emoticon coding, most of which is unique to this forum alone. I remember having requested a lot of the emoticons, and requesting special codes to make them go...

such as ROFL and rofl will both decode into if you use the : before ROFL : and after

I have so many of those codes memorized, I don't even click on the emoticons, I can type them faster than taking my hands off the kybd.
post #113 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
So today was mostly dedicated to cleaning a corner of the barn out to make room for a new tool, but I did a little bit of wingwalking. My rear turn signal LEDs came in so they were installed and the back end tucked back together. I ordered some rubber edging for the shelter which turned out to be exactly the wrong size so I peeled the OEM stuff off the parts bike and the spare piles and glued it on. Then I reinstalled the shelter and figured now was a good time to patch the holes in the stock speaker grilles and get them installed. No stereo or speakers for now, honestly I've never heard a song as pleasing as the sound of a properly running motorcycle so I'm in no hurry there.
LED rear turn signal bulbs by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Speaker grilles with patches by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Reassembled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Literally the last LEDs for the wing arrived so i installed them. As of now the only incandescent bulb on the wing is the low fuel light. I'll try to get an ammeter reading tomorrow to see how much current the LEDs pull. Pics show running lights, the turn signal is a much larger difference between stock and LED but really doesn't photograph well.
LED 1157 amber bulbs by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Old bulb by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
OEM on the left, LED on the right by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
post #115 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
Literally the last LEDs for the wing arrived so i installed them. As of now the only incandescent bulb on the wing is the low fuel light. I'll try to get an ammeter reading tomorrow to see how much current the LEDs pull. Pics show running lights, the turn signal is a much larger difference between stock and LED but really doesn't photograph well.

Do NOT replace the Low Fuel light with an LED.

it simply will NOT work at all. The circuit requires the filament current of the bulb to work properly. The sender is a varistor that heats up, and the resistance value lowers as the fuel drops below the sensor. ( it has a Negative temperature coefficient )

The fuel is what keeps it cool, and the resistance value high enough the bulb won't light up.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #116 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
So I tried an LED there and my issue was that the circuit leaks enough current that the LED never went out. It'd start out bright then drop to a dimmer but still very noticeable brightness, which is why I took the dash apart again and reinstalled an incandescent in that location.
post #117 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodat90 View Post
So I tried an LED there and my issue was that the circuit leaks enough current that the LED never went out. It'd start out bright then drop to a dimmer but still very noticeable brightness, which is why I took the dash apart again and reinstalled an incandescent in that location.
There are NO circuit LEAKS, it is a series resistor with the filament of the bulb, pure and simple.... only two parts complete the circuit....
from +12 to lamp, to sensor, to Ground.

that is the full circuit..... the sensor at its' highest resistance allows more current thru than the LED needs to light up.

Game over, you can't use a LED for the Low Fuel Light without redesigning the whole darn thing, and to what purpose??? all the lamp does it glow when the fuel is low.

~ John

post #118 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Went through my spare goldwing parts and found another speedo drive, so that got a good washing and regrease. Then I figured I may as well throw the front lowers on to see how they look. I'm not a fan, but maybe it'll grow on me.
Cleaned up and regreased replacement speedo drive by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Fully reassembled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
post #119 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
Then I figured I'd stop putting it off and clean up the paint on the fairing a bit. Clay bar, rubbing compound, polishing compound, polish and glaze. First two pics show the side I did all that on, second two show the side I only clayed.

Untitled by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-10-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #120 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
Looking good.

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page