Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern Virginia
20 Jan 2019
Today was a good and frustrating day. The goal was to get the coolant system operational, run the bike and tune it. That eventually did happen, multiple times. Grabbed clamps from some spare 'wing radiators to replace the hose clamps some PO installed. Filled with coolant, fired the bike up and adjusted all the things. Idle drop, carb sync, etc. Starts, runs and idles nicely now. Vids in my Flickr. The challenges come from mostly my stupidity. I figured what the hell, lemme put it in gear and get the oil churned up. Extremely stiff shifter, something definitely not right. Since the only thing I messed with that could affect the shifting was the front cover, I pulled it off. Which of course means draining the coolant and oil. Oh well, it's probably a good thing, right? Front cover comes off and on more times than I'll care to admit, but I eventually figured out that the shift sensor was bent. Fixed that, reassembled it again, carefully chose oil by it being literally all the half empty bottles I had laying around in the barn, found out I had a quart of actual Honda mc coolant and a couple quarts of some other brand name mc coolant and filled it all,back up. Now the neutral switch usually works again, and the bike starts in neutral without the clutch. I assume the light will work also. Now all the hard mechanical bits are done, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the body put on and start the clay/clean/polish/wax process on that! No pics because a running engine looks very much like a non-running engine, but like I said, the vids are on Flickr linked below.
Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.