LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Garage
16 Jan 2019

Not a whole lot today. I have been looking for mysterious alien sourced bulbs that Honda used in the dash, they are called out as no. 57. Very helpful. I finally found a cross-reference by size and ordered some, go figure they're actually Christmas tree light bulbs. At least now I know. They do work though. But other parts came in, including gasket remover and my water pump gasket set so I cleaned off the old schmoo and installed new gaskets and o-rings and put the front cover back on. Once it was there I verified that the gear position switch did in fact short the correct pins to ground in the correct gears. I also did a bit of cleaning and painting of the top of the engine.
Top of engine cleaned and painted by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Front cover cleaned, new gasket installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
16 Jan 2019

I'm leaving the suspension as is for now, since both ends have air assist. I'll wait till the thing's actually on the road before I decide whether or not the shocks are done, although when I had them out oil leaked from the air fitting so it seems that if it came down to it I could drain, flush, and refill them. Not sure about the seat foam, I'll choose whichever seat feels the best between the primary and spare bike. I also have a new (8 year old BNIB) seat cover to install, which I may supplement with a heated seat pad because why not.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
18 Jan 2019

Pulled the carbs from the donor bike and rebuilt them today. Here they are pulled off and the top cover off, as found on the bike. Pretty sure this engine has a blown headgasket and that's probably coolant in the intake plenum.
Carb rack removed from donor bike ready for rebuild by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Lots of ugly inside by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
18 Jan 2019

Challenge the first. The rebuild kits I bought came with 102 main jets. Book calls for 108. Installed in the carbs was 105. Whiskey the Foxtrot? So I pull out the box of spare jets from carbs past and find that I have Dynojet 108 jets leftover from my FJ1200. I check the chart and find that the DJ108 is closer (but richer) to the KH108 than either of my other choices, so in they go. Technically the 105s are closer, but they're used and boogered up from some bubba torque installation. Challenge the next, the mixture screw will adjust but not come out. I finally decide to drill them out and find that previous bubba drilled through the caps rather than remove them, so there's still a sliver of cap in there. Drill all those out and everything's fine. Install all the new parts, set the mixture screws to 2.25 and the float bowls to 7.5mm.
All user serviceable parts removed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Fully drilled out the mixture screw caps by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
18 Jan 2019

Then it came time to address the ugly on the caps. Wire wheel, polish, all good. The pitting is pretty deep on the chrome on the rear caps, and the polish ended up very slightly getting into the brass underneath.
Before and after by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Front caps after polish. Both look the same, one's just reflecting a light. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #46 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
18 Jan 2019

The screws were ugly. I had a bag of stainless SHCS the right thread pitch but they were too long, so I had to cut, chamfer, and clean up 16 to the right length. Challenge the next is that one of the plenum cover screws was corroded in so previous bubba just ripped the cover off of it. I pulled what was left of the screw, drilled and tapped it to M6 and found a nice flanged bolt to go in to hold what's left of it down. Since I figured it's seal was compromised by the craptastic previous work I put a thin bead of silicone on the sealing edge before installation of the cover, then snugged everything down. Put a flashlight on the inside and looked for any light leakage, found none so I now assume a solid seal. Since my gloves were already dirty I carefully globbed some more silicone around the broken bit just to make it look less bad and provide another layer of protection just in case. Carbs are now largely done. Have to put the spider back on the bottom after that gets cleaned up, and wait for new throttle cables before the carbs can go in the good bike. Forgot to mention, all screws got a spot of antisieze upon reinstallation; that's the brownish color in the pic.
New stainless SHCS before and after shortening by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Plenum cover reinstalled. PO broke the front which required drilling and tapping to a larger size. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:07 PM.
post #47 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
19 Jan 2019

They're actually not that bad, it's just that they have a bit more linkage to deal with than most. If you don't split the carbs off the plenum, you don't have to mess with the linkage. Well it turns out that my new cables are wrong, so I took the cables off the donor and gave them lots of degrippant to get them freed up and installed them. Of note is that the choke cable I bought did mostly fit. The choke has a little plastic nub that registers into a depression in the housing to lock the choke on till you turn it off. The plastic that nub is on had lost all its spring so I ended up shimming behind it with some zip-tie pieces, now it locks onto choke with vim and vigor.
New cables too long, had to reuse cables from donor bike by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #48 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
19 Jan 2019

While I was dealing with that I decided to de-uglify the carb mounts. Pictured is as found, sandblasted, dremel wire wheeled, and polished. At first I had my sandblaster pressure set to kill, which took way too long to smooth out. I reduced it to stun and it was slower but left a much better finish.
As found, failed clearcoat by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Sandblasted by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Wire wheeled after sandblasting by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Polished by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

post #49 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
19 Jan 2019

Carbs installed. Of course this took much more work than just that, but you all know that by now. Scrubbed out/off the airbox, vaselined all the o-rings (in motorcycles, as in life; if it involves rubber, use lube) and tucked everything where it seems to belong. Then I figured why not; filled it with oil, hooked up the fuel pump electrical and fired it up. Actually went pretty well, but I only ran it for a couple seconds since I still haven't reinstalled the cooling system. I'll put all that back on tomorrow, then start on getting the body put back on. Should be road ready just in time for whatever the next polar bear vortex major stormpocalypse that gets the weather people in a twist.
Carbs back on, everything hooked up by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

post #50 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
20 Jan 2019

Today was a good and frustrating day. The goal was to get the coolant system operational, run the bike and tune it. That eventually did happen, multiple times. Grabbed clamps from some spare 'wing radiators to replace the hose clamps some PO installed. Filled with coolant, fired the bike up and adjusted all the things. Idle drop, carb sync, etc. Starts, runs and idles nicely now. Vids in my Flickr. The challenges come from mostly my stupidity. I figured what the hell, lemme put it in gear and get the oil churned up. Extremely stiff shifter, something definitely not right. Since the only thing I messed with that could affect the shifting was the front cover, I pulled it off. Which of course means draining the coolant and oil. Oh well, it's probably a good thing, right? Front cover comes off and on more times than I'll care to admit, but I eventually figured out that the shift sensor was bent. Fixed that, reassembled it again, carefully chose oil by it being literally all the half empty bottles I had laying around in the barn, found out I had a quart of actual Honda mc coolant and a couple quarts of some other brand name mc coolant and filled it all,back up. Now the neutral switch usually works again, and the bike starts in neutral without the clutch. I assume the light will work also. Now all the hard mechanical bits are done, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the body put on and start the clay/clean/polish/wax process on that! No pics because a running engine looks very much like a non-running engine, but like I said, the vids are on Flickr linked below.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page