LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Garage
21 Jan 2019

I had great intentions of awesome productivity today. Then I started working. So first I figured I'd put the body back on starting with the fairing. No problem, drops right in place. Actually did that yesterday so I could use the tach to set idle, but I didn't install any of the bolts. Today I did that, plus a few brackets, then decided to put the 'shelter' on. That's the bit that looks like a gas tank. Not so fast, once installed the front edge was crooked and the glove box door hit it when opening. Off it came for examination. Turns out that in the front between the halves is supposed to be a weird three-t shaped piece of rubber that is long since gone. Check the parts manual, google the number, it's no longer available anywhere. So I have to make something. I dig through my scrap sheet and find a bit of 1/16" ABS. Cut it down to about .5 x 3.5" and taper the edges to fit, and install it. Success! Kind of. The door still hit.
Shelter front filler strip v1. 1/16" ABS by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter front filler strip v1 installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
21 Jan 2019

So I remade it out of metal, and added a hook that goes over part of the shelter to pull it down. This also needed the edges tapered, then paint, etc. ended up having to pull the whole shelter to pieces to get everything adjusted how I want, and now I'm waiting on glue to dry that holds some of the rubber edging down. So I figured I'd do a bit more chrome polishing to get rid of rust.
Edit: for the record that's a finger in the reflection
Shelter front filler strip, v2 by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Carb cover before polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Carb cover after polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #53 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
21 Jan 2019

I felt bad about my lack of productivity so I went back out to the barn and did something. Did a session of clay bar, rubbing compound, polishing compound on the shelter and installed it, plus some more of the fairing trim. As with the front fender, final polish and wax waits till I have the bike assembled. Pics are before, after, and installed.
Shelter before rubbing and polishing by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter after first round of polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter polished and installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
22 Jan 2019

It's an older bike, warts and all, but I'm trying to bring back as much of the beauty as there is left. No real work on the bike today, but I tried a different set of LED Christmas light bulbs in the dash that are very slightly brighter than the last set. Also good news on the seat. I found that the company that made the seat cover included with the bike, bought 10 years ago, is not only still in business but were willing to send me a color swatch to compare. I'm ordering the matching backrest cover tonight!
Edit. Ordered! Posivibes, all hail, whatever it is the kids say nowadays to the cleverly named motorcycleseatcovers.com
Color match swatch for seat cover, matching backrest ordered by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #55 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

Today is body day. Lots of rust, some in visible areas, lots in places you can't see, specifically the undersides of the trunk mount.
Luggage rack corrosion by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
luggage rack corrosion by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Rust on bottom of trunk mount by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.
post #56 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

This is hours of work. Soft wire wheel in an air grinder, wd40, cup wheel in a cordless grinder. Everything was cleaned and polished as well as possible. However, any and all chrome that's not visible when the bike is assembled got a heavy coat of paste wax, with zero effort made to rub it down. That's why most of the chrome here looks dull.
Edit: humblebrag: I was halfway through the third rack when the grinder started to slow down and I thought that maybe the regulator was freezing again. Nope, I forgot to turn the compressor on after I unfroze the regulator, so I was running off stored air all that time. Yay enormous compressor!
Lots of work with a wire wheel, WD40 by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Wire wheel, WD40, polish. Thick coat of paste wax on all non-visible parts. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Wire wheel, WD40, polish. Thick coat of paste wax on all non-visible parts. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

post #57 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

Then I started on the plastic. Before and after for one side panel, and before for a saddlebag. Everything gets a cleaning, a rubdown with a clay bar, rubbing compound and polishing compound.
Side panel as found by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Side panel after clay bar, rubbing compound, polishing compound by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Saddlebag as found by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

post #58 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

Hardware removed and polished separately. The bike's starting to regain its muchness.
Bag latches, before and after polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #59 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

Then I figured I'd look at the trunk lights before I started on it. Oh my dog. Sometimes you run into such madness that you have to walk away for a little bit. Also I should point out that I have fat hands. The rest of me looks like a supermodel/television fitness celebrity.
Holy hell by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
trailer light wedged in by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Burnt plastic where bulb laid against it by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.
post #60 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Restoration Guru

Garage
25 Jan 2019

I opened up the trunk light to fix whatever wiring problems I found, but as the pics show there's nothing salvageable there. I keep telling myself that just ripping it all out was enough, but I know myself better. I'll end up redoing it correctly, with LEDs and proper connectors and such. Just gotta figure out exactly how I want to do that. Oh well, that's something I can do later. I'll get back to work on the wing tomorrow. I did see the new sight glasses, they're even pretty reasonably priced! But that's a 'for later' upgrade, want to get it reroaded (love that word) before I get into buying purely cosmetic stuff. Also one thing my bike didn't have was the cross piece clamps that connect the two luggage racks behind the rear tire. I took the clamps off the parts bike, cleaned them up and found a broken bolt. Heated it up cherry red and it came right out with vise grips, and when I installed the new bolts I anti-seized them.

Last edited by whodat90; 02-05-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page