post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
Smile Bead Sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Won't that mess up your balance beads?
It's just bead sealer. Slime is the brand name, but it's not the slime that goes inside the tire. I have the green slime in my bicycle tires so the "Goats Heads" don't puncture the tire (although I've gotten too old to peddle a bike up at this elevation - I need 1200 power). I just went with "Slime" brand, since it was $16 on Amazon Prime, with almost 5 stars, and other brands I never heard of wanted $25 or more. Yeah, you do not want your beads "slimed!"

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard

Last edited by JohnnyD; 02-19-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Cool It took some time, but love the Pirelli MT66 tires!

So it's been 3 months, but thought I would follow-up...

I ordered a set of Pirelli MT66 tires back in Feb. They came with Jan 2018 date codes, and all scuffed up, so I returned them. Waited a month or so to reorder. Paid $180 for the pair shipped from Revzilla; best price I could find. The second set had late 2018 date codes.

Then being my usual self; making a simple job much harder, I combined installing the front tire with cleaning the front forks with new oil. BTW, the 6 lb. front fork air pressure is highly recommended on Progressive springs too, IMHO. Too much dive without it. So the front took me a week.

Then it was time for the rear tire and noticed the maintenance schedule for the drive shaft splines, so why not do that too? When I removed the shaft, I found what the Service Manual calls the "damper spring" to be missing. Fortunately, there was no damage to the spline ends. BTW, instead of Honda Moly 45 or 77 or whatever they call it today, I ended up using a Yamaha part instead (pic). You can get this LARGE tube for the price of 2.5 OZ Honda lube.

Just had to wait another week for a Western Honda order. When I had the propeller shaft out, then I noted where a squeak was coming from, that I had heard for awhile. The swing-arm bushings were dry. So now, I had to pull the exhaust system, then the swing-arm. That lock (castle) nut caused me to make a tool. BTW, a socket tool is enough (pic). I went and bought a made-in-china socket, instead of wrecking one of my made in the USA tools. Also, the china-crap steel cuts easier! The 1 3/16" socket OD is just under 40mm for a perfect fit.

I torqued the pivot-bolt to 14 lbs as per the manual, and marked position with a Sharpie. Then I was able to torque the lock nut to 72 lb+ and the pivot bolt stayed where it was, np.

Anyway, a simple tire change created complete service for both front and rear suspension and I'm finally on the road again. I've only had time to ride about 100 miles so far, but I will tell you that Dennis' suggestion for this brand of tires is right-on!

The balance and traction is far better than other GL1200 tires I have tried; both Metzeler ME 880 and Dunlop Elite 3 tires. Very smooth on the highway and I can lean much better on the great profile of these tires. Mileage is not important to me, so I'm sold already and for only $180 a set!!! Thanks again, Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6982.jpg (124.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6981.jpg (146.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6985.jpg (77.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6984.jpg (100.3 KB, 9 views)

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:31 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles

Glad the tires are working for you. Are they holding air okay? That's the only trouble I've ever had with them.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post

Glad the tires are working for you. Are they holding air okay? That's the only trouble I've ever had with them.
Yes, air holding now for weeks at same PSI. I used bead sealer after cleaning the beads thoroughly with a steel brush. The day I mounted them, I set pressure to tire max and they lost 2 PSI in the first 24 hours. Then I set them to riding pressure and they sat exactly there for another 2 days prior to mounting. I had the time while building the suspension, and per your warning, wanted to be sure of no leaks prior to mounting.

I strongly suggest the detailed cleaning and use bead sealer, prior to mounting (instructions state after mounting, for car tires) and then mount carefully.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page