Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Draining oil from the engine 83 1100a

901 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rpeters549 
#1 · (Edited)
When changing oil from the front drain some still remains in the engine. I am assuming it collects around the clutch. Is there a drain plug lower than the front drain plug that allows you drain ALL the oil from the engine short of an engine teardown?

#2 ·
goldwing

First, Welcome to the forum.

It's been a while since I owned an 1100 but I do not remember a front drain plug. Only the one on the bottom of the engine. If you are draining the oil and you think there are a few quarts still in the engine, somethings not right. The bike only holds 4 quarts when you change the filter too.

It sounds like your removing the wrong plug? Do you have a service manual? If not get one. Many someone else will post a picture of the correct plug.

Rayjoe

#3 ·
The drain plug is located next to the oil filter on the lower front of the engine. According to the service manual it takes 3.4 quarts after draining but 4.2 quarts after disassembly so there is a little less than a quart remaining in the engine after an oil change. I'm trying to see if there is a way to remove that oil also.

Attachments

#4 ·
The oil hides in the rear engine cover, you'll find it if you ever have to replace your stator... It went all over the garage floor. :surprise:

Don't know that there's any way to get it out, short of hanging the bike vertical by the rear axle... :ROFL:

Reactions: limpy45
#6 ·
I also think it hangs out in the bottom case, I just took a rear case off and some came out but not as much as when I put the rear end up on a 2x4, to get better access for gasket prep.

I wish they could have made the oil screen accessible while the motor was in the frame, that would have made a total oil change ultra easy. but I guess you can't have everything.

#10 ·
I understand wanting to get all the old oil out and I myself have done the starter bump thing. But personally I would caution abut overthinking it. Just the drain plug and filter with new oil have MANY Wings going to over 200k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.