1997 Goldwing GL1500 Asp jerking again under load below 2,000 - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:04 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldwingA1500 View Post
They still spark and it appears to have gotten better. I ended up having to order a gas cap instead of replacing the plugs again. Never rains but it poors.

When my bike shut off a few days ago, I assumed it was the gas cap so I tried to blow it out with an air hose, which was stupid on my part; I blew out the internal seals. I can even tell you what color the rubber diaphragm was. It was red. So now my gas cap will not hold pressure; just bleeds air. I can't believe the damn thing costs $80 bucks.

Joe

I would have just used it as is Joe,
on my '94SE I purposely drilled a hole in the gas cap, and that stopped a lot of my problems.
I lived in Phoenix AZ then, and high temps were causing problems....
we were getting 125* days for a week at a time, and the '94 was my Daily Driver to work and back then.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Hi all! Sorry I've been offline for a while. Wanted to give you all a follow up.

Apparently finding a new gas cap is difficult since they are no longer making them. Local Honda shop stated that they were on back-order, and usually that means no more production. I did however find a used one fully functional for $20 bucks, so that problem has been solved.

Also, the IX-9 plugs came in last week and I switched them out. I then took 4 of the best older plugs and installed them on my GL1200 and they work just great.

Loving the IX-9 plugs; i noticed a real different. Mid-range to max RPM pulls strong. The bike doesn't jerk anymore. However, if you lug it under 1,500 RPM's, there is a slight hesitation which I suspect might be my accelerator fuel pump. I rebuilt my carbs a few weeks ago, but that was one of the items I did not replace. I checked it and it sprays fuel but only if you snap the throttle hard enough. Normal throttle roll doesn't seem to spray much fuel, but then I never have a hesitation issue under normal throttle roll; only during throttle snap will it hesitate under 1,500 RPM.

Other than that, the front-end wobble is my next task. I've determined that the head bearings are bad. Honda wants $320 bucks to replace the head bearings. So I've decided to order the special tabbed socket needed for the job, and I will replace it myself.

Joe
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:30 AM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
Considering the price of the socket and the amount of work needed to do the job I would be glad to pay the dealer 320.00 to do the job and get a guarantee! And that is using OEM parts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page