GL 1500 SE speedometer - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Dakota
Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 1999 GL1500SE, soon to be sold 2007 GL1800 PA
Posts: 183
GL 1500 SE speedometer

Well, my GL1500SE speed indicator is off just a bit like all of them. About 3 mph faster than actual ground GPS speed at 60 mph. So, while I have most of the fairing apart to do some other wiring work, I figure might as well dig into gauge cluster and see if I can do to this speedo like I did to my 81 VW Rabbit. Took cluster apart and then holding the drum the magnet on the end of the cable spins, I moved the needle back about 2 mph. By the way, there is NO fluid to leak out of the speedometer. I have NO idea how this got started many years ago. But, it had to be someone who has never been inside a automotive speedo or any one for that matter. Now just have to wait for the spring thaw, and the way our weather has been this winter, that will possibly be around May 30 or so. Then I will compare it to my GPS. That is all for tonight.
limpy45 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
DBohrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Posts: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
Well, my GL1500SE speed indicator is off just a bit like all of them. About 3 mph faster than actual ground GPS speed at 60 mph. So, while I have most of the fairing apart to do some other wiring work, I figure might as well dig into gauge cluster and see if I can do to this speedo like I did to my 81 VW Rabbit. Took cluster apart and then holding the drum the magnet on the end of the cable spins, I moved the needle back about 2 mph. By the way, there is NO fluid to leak out of the speedometer. I have NO idea how this got started many years ago. But, it had to be someone who has never been inside a automotive speedo or any one for that matter. Now just have to wait for the spring thaw, and the way our weather has been this winter, that will possibly be around May 30 or so. Then I will compare it to my GPS. That is all for tonight.

If you ran Avon tires your speedometer would be accurate. I have ran Avon tires for the last 11 years on my GL1500. My speedometer is right on with a GPS.

Hope you haven't messed up your speedometer....!
DBohrer is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,083
Garage
We used to do that with some BMW speedometers years ago. They were the other way, showed too slow.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Moderator
 
Bike...and Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, Arizona, USA
Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Posts: 21,635
I did that on my 12. Now it reads a little slow in the lower ranges, making it necessary to be mindful in school zones where enforcers are less tolerant.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Bike...and Dennis is online now  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
rayjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Coos Bay, OR
Model: Slightly less than before.
Posts: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy45 View Post
I have NO idea how this got started many years ago. But, it had to be someone who has never been inside a automotive speedo or any one for that matter.

Sorry, but you must be a young guy. Old speedos and tachometers had some kind of damper fluid in them. It was in a little tin pot that the needle was attached to. Think old English bikes and cars.


Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
rayjoe is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Erdeniz Umman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Türkiye
Year: 2000
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE Euro Spec
Posts: 1,338
I haven't seen any damper oil inside either, but there are notes in the service manual about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (107.6 KB, 31 views)
Erdeniz Umman is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Disneyland Anaheim CA
Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Posts: 266
I was under the impression that the damper oil was just in the fuel gauge.
RambozoClown is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 AM
Member
 
BLUTHUNDR31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Morgan Hill, CA.
Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Posts: 332
It could be an "old-wives-tale" that has carried on to tday's current market. I heard/read the same information. Both the Temp and fuel gauges would benefit from even a small amount of Dampening Fluid (IMHO).



Whenever I deal with the gauges, I subscribe to the philosophy that I DO NOT turn the gauges upside-down unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. The manual could be mistaken, and it wouldn't be the FIRST mistake we found in it BUT, , , why tempt fate if you don't have to?? I don't want to be the one to have to admit that I turned the gauge over and now it doesn't work right.
limpy45 likes this.
BLUTHUNDR31 is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Posts: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambozoClown View Post
I was under the impression that the damper oil was just in the fuel gauge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUTHUNDR31 View Post
It could be an "old-wives-tale" that has carried on to tday's current market. I heard/read the same information. Both the Temp and fuel gauges would benefit from even a small amount of Dampening Fluid (IMHO).



Whenever I deal with the gauges, I subscribe to the philosophy that I DO NOT turn the gauges upside-down unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. The manual could be mistaken, and it wouldn't be the FIRST mistake we found in it BUT, , , why tempt fate if you don't have to?? I don't want to be the one to have to admit that I turned the gauge over and now it doesn't work right.
We must be getting old. Many years ago there was a local parts house that had a section that did gauge repair and hydraulic hoses. What a strange combination tht was. Interesting though. They could calibrate your speedometer in any way you wanted. How they did it was by really making the magnet in the drum too strong. Then they would spin the speedo on a machine. They could bit by bit demagnetize the magnet until they got it just right.
There is a super light spring in the gauge. The purpose of the oil is to dampen that spring just like shocks and springs in your car. There is only a few drops and if you turn the gauges upside down it will not hurt them if it is for a short time. If you store them upside sown you might end up with a bouncy needle on the gauge. The newer vehicles do the same thing electronically by using a capacitor in the gauge to act like an electrical shock absorber.
DBohrer likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
redwing52 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Moderator
 
Bike...and Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, Arizona, USA
Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Posts: 21,635
Next you'll be telling me my bike doesn't have tail-light oil...or blinker fluid!

Why ain't we ridin'?
Bike...and Dennis is online now  
Reply

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1998 GL 1500 SE, Speedometer miles to Km, Erics Goldwing Technical Forum 9 11-26-2015 11:33 AM
speedometer washers 1500 gl SE GW FNGGW2012 Goldwing Technical Forum 7 07-23-2012 07:41 AM
GL 1500 speedometer not working deradler1 Goldwing Technical Forum 2 09-14-2010 07:29 PM
88 gl 1500 speedometer gbob12 Goldwing Technical Forum 4 08-03-2009 07:56 PM
Speedometer Cable 97 1500 SE kilroy965 Goldwing Technical Forum 1 07-12-2007 01:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome