GL1500 Starting / Lighting Problem - Help Please!! - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
"Removing the top box" is not as easy as it sounds. As suggested above, I would take out the half dozen screws and remove the bottom cover from the trunk - it encircles the trunk and pannier latches. That's going to give an idea of what's been messed with. Also above, the small cover covers on the bottom rear of the panniers may hide some surprises.

No one has mentioned checking the starter button. Known to get sticky and cause starter and headlight issues.
Just an update folks. This afternoon I removed the top box to access the trailer wiring and, to my surprise, found that this was wired directly into the existing loom. No isolation relays etc.. I have now disconnected this completely but the problem still remains. I have noticed that just the side saddlebag lights illuminate when the ignition key is turned to the first position, extinguish at the next position and then illuminate again with all the other lighting at the next position. This is a Canadian spec machine but I have to say I have never noticed if this was occurring previously.

I will investigate further tomorrow. Firstly, I will take the battery to my friend at our local car spares shop and get him to put the 'drop tester' across it. If all is well I'll start checking further and carry out some of the test suggestions that have been made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
There are a couple tests you can do wile the battery is out. And that is to test for a short. If you have the pinout for you trailer connector plug, you can use you VOM in either ohms or continuity mode and check the resistance between each pin. I don't think you have a short to ground. However, you may have to wires shorted to each other. Start with one lead on your running light pin then hold it to each of the other pins. You should not get a reading because the wire that energizes the running lights should not energize the turn signals or brake lights. Likewise, the left turn signal should not energize the right and so on. If you find continuity between two pins, note what they energize and see if that is what you get by observing the lights when the battery is in. At least you will have reduced your search down to two wires.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris301up View Post
I have noticed that just the side saddlebag lights illuminate when the ignition key is turned to the first position, extinguish at the next position and then illuminate again with all the other lighting at the next position. This is a Canadian spec machine but I have to say I have never noticed if this was occurring previously.

I wonder if that is not normal? The first position (farthest left) is park and those might be considered parking lights. The next step would be off and they are off, right? The last step is run and all should come to life. Maybe you are struggling with an issue that isn't an issue at all Chris????

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I wonder if that is not normal? The first position (farthest left) is park and those might be considered parking lights. The next step would be off and they are off, right? The last step is run and all should come to life. Maybe you are struggling with an issue that isn't an issue at all Chris????
Hi redwing

I understand what you're saying but this doesn't detract from the fact that this problem only began once I started to test the trailer connections at the socket? It could easily be the battery? But of course, it could easily be something else entirely?

My last 'Wing was a European spec model and the lights only operated at a switch under the horn button. This being a Canadian spec model the lights operate a bit differently. In other words they are on all the time, as far as I'm lead to believe?

You could in fact be right about the saddlebag lights being 'parking lights', but if this is the case, shouldn't the front side lights also come on with these at the same time? Maybe someone with a similar spec machine could validate this? Just to confirm, the first position on the ignition switch (farthest left) with the steering unlocked is park, the next position to the right everything is off and the next position to the right is run and everything does in fact come to life.

I have now isolated the trailer wiring altogether so should the battery discharge rapidly now it can no longer be related to this. Maybe there isn't a fault? Maybe the battery, although almost brand new, could be shot? I will have that tested today.

Jlaframboise, I was testing the trailer socket voltages at the pins with a multi-meter. I located the earth pin (white - number 3) where I attached the negative (black) probe and then inserted the positive (red) probe into the corresponding circuit I was testing. For example: number 1 is yellow for the left hand indicator which I remember was working properly, and so on until this issue occurred.

ADDENDUM

I have had the battery tested and although the output voltage drops very slightly, all is good. I don't have much faith in the Optimate chargers, which I have been using to keep it topped up, so they are going to charge it to full capacity and test again, just to be sure! It's looking more likely to be a problem with the wiring somewhere now?

Last edited by chris301up; 02-28-2019 at 06:36 AM.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:40 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:

I have now isolated the trailer wiring altogether so should the battery discharge rapidly now it can no longer be related to this. Maybe there isn't a fault? Maybe the battery, although almost brand new, could be shot? I will have that tested today.
What do you mean by "discharge rapidly"? Do you get a lot of sparks when you connect the battery or does it only discharge rapidly after you turn the ignition on?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:43 AM

The lights on the side of the panniers are not factory installed. They could be Hondaline or an aftermarket manufacturer. Either way they have been added and it sounds like they are wired to an Accessory (ACC) hot circuit.

Key switch has an ACC selection between OFF and RUN. This should allow you to operate the radio, air compressor, expresso machine and such without providing power to the ignition system or headlights.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
What do you mean by "discharge rapidly"? Do you get a lot of sparks when you connect the battery or does it only discharge rapidly after you turn the ignition on?
Hi Dave

No there isn't any 'sparks' when connecting the battery it discharges rapidly after turning the ignition on.
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Cote View Post
The lights on the side of the panniers are not factory installed. They could be Hondaline or an aftermarket manufacturer. Either way they have been added and it sounds like they are wired to an Accessory (ACC) hot circuit.

Key switch has an ACC selection between OFF and RUN. This should allow you to operate the radio, air compressor, expresso machine and such without providing power to the ignition system or headlights.

Andy

That's a thought? Now the top box is removed I'll investigate further. They really need to be wired into the lighting circuit then?
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:58 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Hi Dave

No there isn't any 'sparks' when connecting the battery it discharges rapidly after turning the ignition on.
If there were a large enough draw to drain the battery quickly it should blow a fuse. Or the battery is bad.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
If there were a large enough draw to drain the battery quickly it should blow a fuse. Or the battery is bad.
Would you agree the battery is bad even though it may be holding a full charge? Will confirm this a little later when I pop into the shop

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page