Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   GL1500 Starting / Lighting Problem - Help Please!! (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666431-gl1500-starting-lighting-problem-help-please.html)

chris301up 02-26-2019 08:11 AM

GL1500 Starting / Lighting Problem - Help Please!!

Right guys I have a bit of a strange problem that I could do with some help with please

When I purchased my GL1500 last year it came complete with a trailer and, not knowing if the electrics where working properly, decided to check the wiring connections at the socket using my multi-meter. Now, for some strange reason the bike will not start. This is a Canadian spec machine where the lights should come on when the ignition is switched on, but everything is dim. I have also noticed that when the ignition is switched off, the lights remain on, although very dimly.

The other strange thing is that I can hear slight crackling through the speakers when switching the ignition on or off, even though the radio / cassette unit is not attached to the bike. I have checked the battery, which is fully charged, and all the fuses and confirm they are all fine. I just have no idea what could have happened and where to start checking. I am at a real loss here. I am not brilliant at detailing problems but hope this will give you a basic idea of the problem.

Any advice would be really useful

:|:crying2:

DaveO430 02-26-2019 08:56 AM

Check the battery connections and connect the meter to the battery and turn the switch on checking if the battery is actually holding it's voltage with a load on it.

chris301up 02-26-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5825561)
Check the battery connections and connect the meter to the battery and turn the switch on checking if the battery is actually holding it's voltage with a load on it.

Hi Dave

I was thinking about that a little earlier. I've just removed the battery and charging it at the moment with the Optimate and will give that a go in a bit. Whilst I was just sorting the charging I noticed also that the neutral warning light was flashing on and off every second or so. Can also hear the relay clicking at the same time. Don't know if this has a bearing on the issue?

redwing52 02-26-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5825561)

Dave, I think you might have missed his mention that when the ignition is off the lights stay on like relay is burned together etc.

I have also noticed that when the ignition is switched off, the lights remain on, although very dimly.
I wonder if you have a wire that is hot in the trailer wiring that you shorted to another that backfeeds the ignition switch ettc. I would eliminate the trailer wiring temporarily. Make sure all the fuses and relays are good. With the ignition off there is almost no power available to much of anything other than the ignition switch normally.

chris301up 02-26-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 5825589)
Dave, I think you might have missed his mention that when the ignition is off the lights stay on like relay is burned together etc.

I have also noticed that when the ignition is switched off, the lights remain on, although very dimly.
I wonder if you have a wire that is hot in the trailer wiring that you shorted to another that backfeeds the ignition switch ettc. I would eliminate the trailer wiring temporarily. Make sure all the fuses and relays are good. With the ignition off there is almost no power available to much of anything other than the ignition switch normally.

Hi Redwing52

I have fully charged the battery but as soon as I put it on the bike it starts to discharge. More when I turn ignition on. If it discharges immediately it suggests to me that there could be a short somewhere? It is supposed to be a brand new gel battery, although I only have the sellers word for this. I think my first step is to make sure the battery is charged to the max and have it tested at our local car spares shop. They can put the 'dropper' on it to make sure its holding the charge.

I also thought that maybe I have unknowingly shorted a wire to the trailer wiring socket? If the battery holds charge I'll have to try and trace the wiring loom and disconnect it. Mind you, thinking more about this, there really shouldn't be anywhere to short it to? There is only connections for earth, indicators, tail lights, brake lights and fog lights. All I did was put the negative probe of the multi-meter to the earth pin and the red probe to the corresponding circuit I was testing. Shouldn't have caused any issues from this really!!

DBohrer 02-26-2019 11:27 AM

Chris,

As redwing52 indicated, eliminate the trailer wiring first.

Have you checked the following:

1. # 11 ignition/cruise fuse.

2. 30-amp fuse.

3. # 6 ignition/cruise relay.

Just a start..............

chris301up 02-26-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5825611)
Chris,

As redwing52 indicated, eliminate the trailer wiring first.

Have you checked the following:

1. # 11 ignition/cruise fuse.

2. 30-amp fuse.

3. # 6 ignition/cruise relay.

Just a start..............

Hi Dave & Redwing

Yes. I've checked the 30amp fuse at the starter relay, and all fuses, which are all okay and I've swapped over various relay's just to check as I no longer have spares. I have just been out to the bike again. The battery is now fully charged and confirm as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the on position the voltage starts to drop.

I did manage to start it whilst there was sufficient power in the battery. It certainly looks like it could be a problem with the trailer wiring? Not being familiar with this I will have to remove the saddlebags and top box and see where it all goes. Not looking forward to that. :frown2:

redwing52 02-26-2019 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Usally trailer wiring is tapped in behind the saddle bad lower covers. Left and right must come off. Easy job.

chris301up 02-26-2019 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 5825643)
Usally trailer wiring is tapped in behind the saddle bad lower covers. Left and right must come off. Easy job.

Thanks for the info redwing.

I've just been giving this some thought and wondered if I've inadvertently shorted out the integral relays that could be incorporated within the trailer wiring loom? If it is a protected type? I'll have more time tomorrow to investigate further. This would be the only logical solution in my humble opinion at this stage!

DBohrer 02-26-2019 04:28 PM

Chris, The trailer wiring is normally connected up under the trunk. You would remove the panel under the trunk (4 screws).

There is a Red connector at each rear corner where the trailer wiring harness is connected in series.

This is how it is normally wired but who knows how yours might have been connected.......!!

Did you replace the Tail Main Relay # 3 and check its contacts.....??

That relay always has "load" power (even with the ignition OFF).

If by chance you did something to short the "coil contacts" on that relay together, you would have a drain on the battery (even with the ignition OFF). And a lot more drain when the ignition was turned ON.