Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Backfire (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666495-backfire.html)

uniqueslumber 03-05-2019 10:58 AM

Backfire

I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing Interstate that will not start 98% of the time, it turns over when the starter button is pushed but about the seventh time a loud double barreled shot gun blast comes of the exhaust when it does start , again about 2% of the time it runs but sounds like its loading up . Timing ok ,coils check good, carbs ok I should also mention this happened within a matter of two days when it first didn't start I jiggled and tightened battery connections and rode it home no problems even stopping and restarting again then second day the back firing started,
Suggestions Please and Thank you

DaveO430 03-05-2019 11:38 AM

Sounds like weak fire but I would check for water in the gas also. Try draining the carbs.

Bike...and Dennis 03-05-2019 11:44 AM

:welc:

jlaframboise 03-05-2019 12:41 PM

When you say the timing is ok, do you mean ignition timing or valve timing? Something is causing a late ignition of the fuel. That's why you hear the explosion in the exhaust. It could be caused from the spark occurring just as the exhaust valve is opening or very hot exhaust is hitting raw gas in the exhaust ports. Are you getting excessive smoke or a raw gas smell? When it is running, do you still get backfire? Sorry I can't be of much help because I don't know anything about the ignition system on that particular bike. For example, I don't know how it gets it's pulse timing.

DaveO430 03-05-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaframboise (Post 5827005)
When you say the timing is ok, do you mean ignition timing or valve timing? Something is causing a late ignition of the fuel. That's why you hear the explosion in the exhaust. It could be caused from the spark occurring just as the exhaust valve is opening or very hot exhaust is hitting raw gas in the exhaust ports. Are you getting excessive smoke or a raw gas smell? When it is running, do you still get backfire? Sorry I can't be of much help because I don't know anything about the ignition system on that particular bike. For example, I don't know how it gets it's pulse timing.

It would take some engineering to get the ignition timing off. It comes right off the crank just like your 1500.

Bike...and Dennis 03-05-2019 05:58 PM

Perhaps a carb is draining into the combustion chamber.

I know you say the carbs are fine, but how do you know that? A very large percentage of running problems, on a GL12, are carburetor/fuel/air related. There's not much else to go wrong.

siouxindian 03-05-2019 06:38 PM

:welc:

lionelgo50 03-05-2019 06:54 PM

Many moons ago I had a 58 Nomad. I know it's not a Goldwing, but I had a similar problem it backfired one time one the freeway that it blew the muffler wide open lol, so after fixing the exhaust system and going crazy trying to figure out the backfiring issue I asked a neighbor whom was a mechanic and he took a look at it. In about as long as it took me to start and rev it up it backfired. I shut it down and he told me to go buy an ignition switch. I did that and we changed the ignition switch out. Problem solved!!! never had a problem with it as long as I had that car.

Food for Thought...

rayworx 03-05-2019 08:53 PM

Recently I put a poor-boy kit in my buddy’s 1200. While pulling the belts off I also pulled the crank pulleys also. In between the the pulleys is the pick-up plate. It’s possible to flip it over and the timing would be way off. That could cause a backfire like you discribed.

ALEX BERECZKY 03-06-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uniqueslumber (Post 5826981)
I have a 1985 Honda Goldwing Interstate that will not start 98% of the time, it turns over when the starter button is pushed but about the seventh time a loud double barreled shot gun blast comes of the exhaust when it does start , again about 2% of the time it runs but sounds like its loading up . Timing ok ,coils check good, carbs ok I should also mention this happened within a matter of two days when it first didn't start I jiggled and tightened battery connections and rode it home no problems even stopping and restarting again then second day the back firing started,
Suggestions Please and Thank you

Verify that the Rubber Isolator/s (between carb and intake manifold) are Snug... I've so often found them Loose or Cracked, in which case it Leans out the fuel mixture.
If that's happening on yours, then it may explain why it's hard to start, but then backfires (due to the exhaust system being full of wrongly-mixed air/fuel, when it does finally fire)