Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Water leak under my 88' (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666597-water-leak-under-my-88-a.html)

Rick Taylor 03-14-2019 03:14 PM

Water leak under my 88'

My bike has sat more than usual during this winter. I've noticed a small amount of water under the bike. It does this while stationary. I took it to a local dealer and they seem to think it's a head gasket leak. It would be expensive to pull this apart and they don't want to do it anyway.
Any thoughts on this? I don't take long trips. Only 2 to 3 hours locally around Dallas/Fort Worth on weekends.
The bike runs perfectly and isn't overheating.

Anyone have any luck with stop leak products like Bar's Leaks?

Thanks,
Rick

Bike...and Dennis 03-14-2019 03:27 PM

I really doubt it's a head gasket. Seems more likely one of the hoses has shrunken a bit. It should get better with use.

On mine, many years ago a dealer said my leak was a head gasket, but it turned out to be the water pump. The coolant would run up and back when driving...

On that particular leak, I had the bike to 3 different dealers who made 3 different diagnosis. None of them ever mentioned the water pump.

Rick Taylor 03-14-2019 04:31 PM

Thanks Dennis!
That's encouraging.
At the very least, now that it's warming up and not raining every weekend,
I'll be riding most weekends. I'll make sure to check the coolant level often for now.

DaveO430 03-14-2019 04:45 PM

Is it water or is it coolant?

ALEX BERECZKY 03-14-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Taylor (Post 5828957)
My bike has sat more than usual during this winter. I've noticed a small amount of water under the bike. It does this while stationary. I took it to a local dealer and they seem to think it's a head gasket leak. It would be expensive to pull this apart and they don't want to do it anyway.
Any thoughts on this? I don't take long trips. Only 2 to 3 hours locally around Dallas/Fort Worth on weekends.
The bike runs perfectly and isn't overheating.

Anyone have any luck with stop leak products like Bar's Leaks?

Thanks,
Rick

There's no way to tell the Source, without pulling the tupperware and searching around for the leak while the engine is running.
I've fixed a half-dozen such leaks on my 1990 & 2000, and can tell ya that the location they emerge from is often quite different than where they start.
Best thing to do is to remove the side tupperware, and the Fan Housings... then run the bike while sticking your nose inside with a GOOD flashlight... you'll typically find the leak by the time the engine warms up.

Until you do that, then don't even consider Bar's Leaks or similar... as you might be trying to "Plug a loose hose clamp", or similarly poorly suited solution.

DenverWinger 03-14-2019 05:47 PM

My '93 will drip a little coolant if sitting for a long time. But once I've warmed it up, the leak is gone, not to be seen again unless parked for another long time. So I just don't worry about it.

limpy45 03-14-2019 10:03 PM

I have checked out a cooling system pressure tester and used it with very good success on finding coolant leaks. Get every off the bike so you can see connections. Then pump up pressure to about 15-16 psi and wait. Leaks will eventually show up in places that you did not know existed. That's how I found some of the water pipe 'o' rings were bad on my 1st 1500 wing. I have also done this on 1 of the 1100's I owned also. Was the only way I could find the leaks. Now I have another 1100 for a pet project and see it is leaking. Once our weather breaks and I can get it into my shop, that's what will be done on that one. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you find.

Sprocketrocket55 03-15-2019 08:12 AM

The 1200s have a condensate tank on the crankcase breather that your supposed to empty

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

rayworx 03-16-2019 07:55 AM

Howdy Rick. The odds are that your leak is the water pump. You can tell without removing any plastic. Get down and look at the front left side of the engine. That’s where the water pump is located. It’s got a ‘weep hole’ located on the pump body. It’s there to allow any coolant leakage to not build pressure and not go into the oil. The water pump is an easy DIY project with basic metic tools and you’ll have to drain the coolant and about a quart of oil. Not in the same pan, of course.
Check out the ‘weep hole’ first to verify the leak. Wipe it off with a rag and let it sit overnight. If that’s the problem you’ll see a drop or two the next day at the weep hole. Other leak areas are possible of course but the water pump is THE most common.

earlddavis1 03-22-2019 11:25 AM

after sitting for any length of time, I am talking weeks, I can smell coolant when I first fire it up, I have never seen anything on the floor I only smell it for a minute or so as it warms up