86 1200 fuel pump - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
86 1200 fuel pump

I’m working on a friends 86 GL1200I. It runs well but I hear a loud ‘clicking’ once every 5 seconds. When I put my hand on it I feel a ‘buzz’ It’s been awhile since I played with a 1200 so I’m hoping for some input. Thanks

Ray
88 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
The good news is, those pumps are still available.

Not cheap but if you only have to buy one every 35 years or so...

Somewhere, I think on this site, there's a tutorial on how to replace the rubber piece that quiets the tapping. Can't find it now.

Also, make sure you don't have a pre-pump fuel restriction. The pump will tick when it hasn't got enough fuel. A dirty filter could be the problem.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Honda Guru

Thanks Bike.... and thank Dennis also.

Ray
88 GL1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:13 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayworx View Post
Thanks Bike.... and thank Dennis also.
Hi Ray,
The theory of operation of those pumps is actually pretty simple and will help you understand why they click when the rubber bumper wears out.
The actual fuel pressure is made br a spring pushing on a diaphragm. So if you are putting a new pump on the spring is in a relative relaxed state with the piston and diaphragm all the way forward. The piston and diaphragm always move as one. You turn the key on and the electromagnet pulls the steel piston back and compresses the spring. This action pulls the diaphragm causing vacuum to suck fuel in to the pump. . Also when the piston comes back the piston will hit and open a set of points at the end of it's travel. This will open the points and shut off off the magnet. The spring is now loaded and will travel forward pushing fuel and building fuel pressure. If the pressure is high enough the piston (and diaphragm) can not travel far enough forward to allow the points to close.Now electrically the pump is just waiting for the pressure to drop, so the piston can move forward enough that the points will close again. Then the process starts all over again.
The click that you hear is the piston being suck (snapped) back by the magnet. There is a rubber disk in the pump so it does not click against the metal but time and wear destroys the rubber. The pump can function fine indefinitely if you can tolerate the click. You can disassemble and replace the disk with a makeshift disk, or replace the pump. What ever flips your flapjack.

After all my typing I found this:
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8642

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Honda Guru

Great info. Thanks a bunch.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayworx View Post
Great info. Thanks a bunch.
Seldom I can help you. Usually the other way around.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page