question about oil filter gl1500 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: honda
Model: aspencade
question about oil filter gl1500

been reading thru the reference and faq forum and was wondering if anyone does or if it is ok to use the purolator one oil filter on my '93 gl1500?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 1999 GL1500SE, soon to be sold 2007 GL1800 PA
Several people do, I how ever use the Wix filter that fits Honda Accords. I have checked out all the specs and they are the same as the motorcycle filter. No idea why they are allegedly different part numbers. It is a longer filter and does a excellent job. I live in a cooler climate than most riders, but still go 5-6000 miles on a oil change. Have owned several wings with high mileage. My present Wing is the lowest mileage bike I have owned in 40 years. 27000 miles on it now. 99 Gl 1500 Se.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantique View Post
been reading thru the reference and faq forum and was wondering if anyone does or if it is ok to use the purolator one oil filter on my '93 gl1500?
Most filters are fine. Probably the number one filter to stay away from is the best known. The big orange one has cardboard end caps on the filter element and not a lot of filter media. As Limpy said, Wix is excellent but nothing wrong with your Purolator.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Model: 1988 GL 1500, 2012 GL1800, 1977 GL1000 2012 KLR 650
Just took one off and put another one on during my oil change. Have been using them for years. Just make sure the filter base where it screws on is concave. They switched them a few years ago to convex. Those will not screw down enough for the O ring to seal. I always look for older ones on the back of the shelf when I go to different auto parts stores.

Dan
AMA Life
2012 GL 1800 Level 3
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Aspencade
I've used nothing but WIX oil filters on my wings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info about the filter base. my 1993 wing had 100k on it when i got it. put a lot of work into her getting it back in shape. so i want it to last as long as possible using an oil filter that does a good job. i was shocked to find out about fram using cardboard on the ends of the filter element. i kinda think if more people knew this it may influence there choice when purchasing an oil filter. i was using the napa gold but am about to do the seafoam to oil treatment for a slightly slipping clutch on hot days to see if it helps. and wanted to make sure the filter was up to catching the crud. thanks for the answers.
limpy45 likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:16 PM

Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I use the Honda Oem filter. There Cheap enough and seem to work well. A lot of people seem to use different brands but I don't know why, are they better or way cheaper? I pay around $12.00 at the Honda Dealer if I ordered online and bought more a one time I could get them cheaper. I change my oil at about 3000 miles or a little more and the filter looks brand new when I take it off. I like going to the Honda dealer not for the filter but to look at the New Wings. They always have used bike's from trade in's so it gives me a chance to look at a few newer bike's, then I get on my 93 wing and head home. I don't think the brand matter's it just changing the oil that will keep your bike running in the long term. Good Luck Mantique
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1608.jpg (160.2 KB, 3 views)
Bike...and Dennis likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

there are a couple of good links about how filters are made and what the elements are made of that i came across in the reference and facts forum. the links are quite informative and shed new light on the subject of filters for me. i have been mech'en for almost 45 years now and thought that filters were all a marketing scam like so many thing today. heck back in the day, i use to tell people you could use toilet paper in a can and long as you changed the oil when recommended. but that was when they made good tp. just kidding. technology is advancing so fast today it is hard to keep up with and actually at times has totally reversed what was the spoken gospel when i received my education & training. it both dumb founds and amazes me at the same time. i am still learning how to do this forum thing and have not figured out how to post a link yet or i would refer the resources and facts thread for you. i sort of remember it being towards the last 2-3 pages. i'll get there eventually. because "this ole dog is still learning new tricks," with the help of all you guys and the vast resources in this site.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Just use the OEM filter. That way you know it will fit and is of good quality.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

yes i agree with you the oem filter is a good filter. from the article in the ref/faqs forum there are links to the science of how filter elements are manufactured and what passes thru them all of them, backed up by serious testing to see if the filters live up to the claims they make. it boils down to three types of filters. junk, good, and better. if you could get a better filter for half the cost of the good filter, that seems like a good idea to me. and we are not breaking the bank here! $12 for good vs $6 for a better filter. seems no brainier to me if i can take better care of my engine and it costs me less i am all in. just for the facts not costs which are insignificant for oil filters. it was also surprising to learn i could pay less for better, instead of more which it usually is the rule. you know the saying "get what you pay for" better for less does not happen often.

when i get a chance i will locate the thread i am referring to in the ref/faqs forum and post the title of it so anyone interested in learning about filters like i did right here, can read the thread if they choose and possibly learn a thing or two about filters just like i did. we can never learn enough because "the more we learn about the less we know of". thanks to the great articles i have come across here i have more "of" about oil filters. also thanks to you good people i have been informed it is ok to use the filter i asked about. thanks for letting me know.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page