• 1 Post By ALEX BERECZKY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: '91 Aspencade
exhaust leak

I finished up my winter annual maintenance/repair/restoration projects a couple days ago on my '91 and put everything back together. Now I'm hearing a new noise that sounds like an exhaust leak.
I did not disassemble any exhaust components.
I have inspected the "resonator" as much as I can with the bike on the centerstand using a mirror and flashlight. Tried to feel for puffs of exhaust with my hand and fingers...did not detect anything.
My questions: Will the resonator drop out if I remove the mufflers and loosen the clamps at the headers? It looks like there may be another fastener on each side. Are there hidden fasteners that require more parts to be removed for access?
Is there a trick to confirm an exhaust leak?

My next move, I think, is to remove the resonator to inspect for leaks and hopefully to repair it.
Is it a good idea to remove it and knock as much rust as possible off of it and paint it with hi-temp paint?
The noise disturbs me, but is a little exhaust leak a big problem if I ride it that way for a couple hundred miles?

Any advice out there?

toolcraft4100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 View Post
I finished up my winter annual maintenance/repair/restoration projects a couple days ago on my '91 and put everything back together. Now I'm hearing a new noise that sounds like an exhaust leak.
I did not disassemble any exhaust components.
I have inspected the "resonator" as much as I can with the bike on the centerstand using a mirror and flashlight. Tried to feel for puffs of exhaust with my hand and fingers...did not detect anything.
My questions: Will the resonator drop out if I remove the mufflers and loosen the clamps at the headers? It looks like there may be another fastener on each side. Are there hidden fasteners that require more parts to be removed for access?
Is there a trick to confirm an exhaust leak?

My next move, I think, is to remove the resonator to inspect for leaks and hopefully to repair it.
Is it a good idea to remove it and knock as much rust as possible off of it and paint it with hi-temp paint?
The noise disturbs me, but is a little exhaust leak a big problem if I ride it that way for a couple hundred miles?

Any advice out there?

Check the (12) Chrome Nuts that attach exhaust manifold to the engine block... they frequently loosen, or fall off... causing a slight popping sound from the resulting exhaust leak.

Also could be a Loose Rubber Hose... Namely, there's a large one (~5/8") that attaches to underside of airbox... When it detaches, you'll hear a distinctive PopPopPop sound

Removing the Resonator requires removal of both exhaust manifolds (perhaps just 1, I don't recall exactly). Don't do this unless you have New Copper Exhaust Gaskets ready, for the re-install; else will get a new/leak.
redwing52 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
+1 for Alex's explanation especially if you worked on the air box, air filter area. Is it a popping exhaust leak or a steady roar? Popping is a leak from the engine to the resonator. (single cylinder) Roar is from the resonator back.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Also, if you went to an aftermarket air cleaner, they can make some noise.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
If you removed or disturbed the air box during your maintenance check that rubber hose Alex mentioned. It is located at the front right corner under the air box. You would not be the first to find it disconnected. Long hose grip pliers are good to install it.

I use these..........!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

Thanks everyone. I pulled enough plastic back apart to confirm that the fat little hose is connected underneath. It's a little difficult, I know.
Actually, the little pipe that connects to the fat little hose was laying loose in the air box when I took the filter out. I applied a little rtv around the contact circle and stuck it back on. It feels real solid now.
I started the bike with the air filter off. If I put my finger on the end of that pipe it sucks pretty hard.
I suppose that is good
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

When I pulled the air box lid and filter last weekend the little pipe was loose so I fixed it. When I pulled it back apart an hour ago it was intact and felt solid.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I pulled enough plastic back apart to confirm that the fat little hose is connected underneath. It's a little difficult, I know.
Actually, the little pipe that connects to the fat little hose was laying loose in the air box when I took the filter out. I applied a little rtv around the contact circle and stuck it back on. It feels real solid now.
I started the bike with the air filter off. If I put my finger on the end of that pipe it sucks pretty hard.
I suppose that is good

Quote:
When I pulled the air box lid and filter last weekend the little pipe was loose so I fixed it. When I pulled it back apart an hour ago it was intact and felt solid.

I believe that you looked at the Wrong Hose... the "Fat Little Hose" (~5/8" dia) that I was referring to is at the Front/Rt of the Airbox... and it BLOWS (not sucks) air.
Also, it connects to the airbox via a molded-nipple (no "little pipe" involved).

So then, if you're still experiencing the noise, might want to double check that ~5/8" hose connection again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:05 AM

I'm unclear if you fixed the problem or not.

If not, then while working on mine this weekend, I had a thought about yours... If you were to disconnect a Vacuum hose from the center cylinder on either right or left side (above the valve cover), then you will get an audible Popping sound.
In my case, I disconnected both in order to hook up a mercury carb balancer.
The one on the left side normally has a vacuum hose attached; the one on the right has a rubber cap.

So then, take a look at both these, and verify that the vacuum nipples are connected to a hose (LT), or plugged with a cap (RT).

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page