2003 Won't start now - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:19 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvanemon View Post
...I did jump the B solenoid with the charger on jump start fuel pump runs then and it will try and start...

As I read that a 2nd time, I wonder if your Alternator is bad? (If so, then that would explain the dead battery, and also why the bike kinda starts but won't sustain running)

Regardless, if you jump start via a Car Battery and it runs steady... then the culprit is probably either the bike battery or alternator.

FYI, Here's a similar discussion that mentions other things to check:
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24244

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2003
Model: 2003
I went out and bought a new battery only one local was at Wally World. Put the acid in and waiting for a full charge using a tender since it only puts out 1.25 amps and will hold it there until I get time.
Alex, I read the article but sadly no outcome was mentioned. If the new battery doesn't work I will pull the front off to make sure the reverse actuator has returned to neutral.
From the side, the cables look to be in the correct position.
I'll keep updating as I proceed.
Thanks to all.

Brian&Marn
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Put in the new battery still just clicks. So I pulled the center upper cowl to make sure reverse motor is in the correct position. Double checking the A/B solenoids I notice power to A then to B but if I push the button too far B shuts looses power.
Could it be a bad or gummed up switch?

Brian&Marn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 01:52 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Wouldn't be the first time someone has replaced good parts because the starter button was dirty. Try shooting some WD-40 around the button while pushing it several thousand times.

Maybe 15 to 20 times would be enough.

If that works it would be best to go in and clean the switch and re-lube it.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
...I did jump the B solenoid with the charger on jump start fuel pump runs then and it will try and start...

You DID have the Ignition switch turned On, when you jumped B-solenoid, right? (otherwise the engine just turns over)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Tried Manually Turning the Reverse Actuator (via 22mm wrench), to verify that it's in the Neutral Position?

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I did the WD no change went ahead and removed the switch cleaned and lube just dirty no junk. I did put a 22 mm on the nut won't move and it looks to be in the neutral position.
Still just clicks, and looses power when you push the start button all the way.
Pulled the A/B solenoids and ran the books test for each power to the small leads Y/Gr + Br/Rd - it clicks then check for continuity both test fine.
Not sure what direction to go tomorrow, book kinda heads toward checking reverse relays not sure about the reasoning for that unless it has something to with the reverse relay. I had tried to use it while running when all this started.
Again thanks. I'm open to just about anything.
Forgot yes I had the key on when I jumped the B terminal. It did turn over but I didn't want to force it.

Brian&Marn
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Put in the new battery still just clicks. So I pulled the center upper cowl to make sure reverse motor is in the correct position. Double checking the A/B solenoids I notice power to A then to B but if I push the button too far B shuts looses power.
Could it be a bad or gummed up switch?
Not sure of your experience so don't be offended. Just because a relay (solenoid) clicks does not mean it is good. Just like flipping a light switch does not guarantee the light will come on. A poor connection internal the solenoid will cause a no starter symptom.
When you mention solenoid "B" loses power are you checking the small wires or the cable, big stud that goes to the starter. If you hold the start button all 4 studs (2 on sol "A" and 2 on sol "B") must have power to get the starter to spin.

Here is a basic theory. Power goes from the start button to solenoid "A." It should click and both studs should have power. The power from a stud on "A" goes to solenoid "B" and makes it click and then you will have power on both studs of "B." All 4 studs with power. It happens in microsecond of pushing the start button. When you saay that pushing harder on the start button causes "B" to lose power that makes me think the start switch is bad. The start switch is either on or off. Should make no difference how hard you push it.

Tomorrow I would make sure both solenoids click when you push the start button. They both happen simultaneously so you might have to listen with a screwdriver or stethoscope. They both have to click. If all is well there then check to be sure that all 4 studs have at least 10 volts with a voltmeter. If you do this test something is not going to pass. Let us know which did not pass and we can go to the next step.
FYI the reverse relay supplies a ground for relay "A." If reverse relay fails relay (solenoid) "A" has no ground and no start will happen. The start referse can be fairly complicated at first. If you do the tests I suggested tomorrow and report back I'm sure the guys can walk you through the next step. You need power on all 4 studs of the solenoids with the bike configured to start. I am all but certain you will not have power on all 4. If you report back how many and which solenoid that will give a really good clue where the issue is.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:54 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Yes, I did the WD no change went ahead and removed the switch cleaned and lube just dirty no junk. I did put a 22 mm on the nut won't move and it looks to be in the neutral position.
Still just clicks, and looses power when you push the start button all the way.
Pulled the A/B solenoids and ran the books test for each power to the small leads Y/Gr + Br/Rd - it clicks then check for continuity both test fine.
Not sure what direction to go tomorrow, book kinda heads toward checking reverse relays not sure about the reasoning for that unless it has something to with the reverse relay. I had tried to use it while running when all this started.
Again thanks. I'm open to just about anything.
Forgot yes I had the key on when I jumped the B terminal. It did turn over but I didn't want to force it.
Even though the manual says this test is valid it is not. The internal connection can be good enough to test fine with an ohm meter but fail when the extreme power required to spin the starter is appled. A better test is in the post above. Will the solenoids pass the heavy loads and still hold 10 volts or better. The manual can help but sometimes it adds confusion.
DaveO430 and flylow like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Put in the new battery still just clicks. So I pulled the center upper cowl to make sure reverse motor is in the correct position. ?
If the neutral light is on the reverse motor IS in the correct position.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page