post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:18 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvanemon View Post
Yes, 12 volts at all the lugs. The ground on the engine was cleaned but no real corrosion.
I inadvertently pushed the RVS switch while watching the meters nothing happens with it either. Just saying I thought the reverse mechanism would switch positions maybe it has to be running. I had to install a new cable on it a few years ago and I thought it would move without the bike running. Not sure.

yes,
the engine must be running, the tranny in neutral, and the sidestand UP.

mine is a 2002, same bike as yours. 2001-2005 are the same.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2003
Model: 2003
Thank you both and particularly Redwing looks like I'll have to pull the shelter and tank to access the starter. As I proceed I keep things updated. As far as the service manual goes sometimes they go way around the barn if you know what I mean.

Brian&Marn
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
BriOne last ditch thing to check. It is not uncommon for a cable connection to insulate itself from the stud. What I am saying is if you test for voltage on the stud itself you can have good power. Move the test probe 1/16" and touch the connector on the big cable and it has no voltage. Might test for voltage at the stud again and the touch the end of the cable connector to be sure there is power there. Not likely the issue if you took the solenoids off to check them. Jus taking them off and reinstalling will make a connection if you did not have one. You understand that you have power almost all the way you need. You just need to get the power that you found on solenoid B to the starter. If the starter is good and has a ground it will go. Your almost there. Hang in there just a little longer.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like something to try tomorrow, it doesn't look like a huge job to remove the tank but I will have to drain it. I've removed the shelter before for filter changes just time-consuming.
Thanks for everything so far.

Brian&Marn
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:37 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
yes,
the engine must be running, the tranny in neutral, and the sidestand UP.

mine is a 2002, same bike as yours. 2001-2005 are the same.
My 2010 will go into reverse without the engine running or the sidestand up, of course it won't actually move without the engine running. I can't see any difference in the schematics but may be something different in the control units.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, so far I've drained the fuel tank and removed it, not as hard as it looks. Removed the starter and it works from a battery charger on boost draws about 25 amps and that sounds right. Removing the starter I think I made up new words what a pain.
There is continuity between the B solenoid and the end of the cable.
Tighten all the hose clamps, only 1 was somewhat loose.
I believe next I'm going to install the battery, shelter, plug in what connectors I need to see if will run the starter without being installed.
Unless someone says its a NO NO.

Brian&Marn
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Just an update I reinstalled the battery with the button pushed I'm getting 12.7 volts on the cable end. So I hooked up the starter with an external ground and it spins.
I didn't run an amp test this time.
Could it be with being attached for 16 years it lost its ground through the case?
I should have tested for ground before I pulled it.
So maybe reinstall and try it again?

Brian&Marn
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 05:08 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Just an update I reinstalled the battery with the button pushed I'm getting 12.7 volts on the cable end. So I hooked up the starter with an external ground and it spins.
Could it be with being attached for 16 years it lost its ground through the case?
What you should have done is test it with the starter installed. It doesn't tell you much with it removed.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
That sound like the ground is bad. It is common to forget you not only need 12 volts but you also need a ground. Back at post #30 Dave mentioned the ground under the fuel tank should be cleaned plus clean at the engine and battery. If I remember right you are not the first to have an issue with the engine ground on a GL1800.
Put the starter back on. This test might sound strange but di it anyway. If the starter still does not spin take your voltmeter. Pur one probe on the case of the starter anywhere. Make sure you get contact through the paint to the steel. Now put the other probe on the battery negative post and hit the start button. If the voltmeter reads 12 volts you definitely have a bad ground.

EDIT: Wish you would have checked back as soon as you saw 12 volts on the cable. The Guys could have saved you some work and headaches. The bike has two main sources/locations for grounding. You already found one of them on the right side of the engine. That should be brushed clean and reinstall the bolt with locktite. The largest ground connection with multiple wires connected to it is located under the gas tank. Yep, you have to remove the gas tank to access these. Once you do these two locations, you have done a good ground service maintenance to your bike. It is also a good idea to run another ground from the side location to the one under the gas tank. This enhances the grounding of the complete bikes electrical system.

WARNING!!! Do not force or draw the starter in with the bolts. The starter must slide all the way in them just tightened using the bolts!!!

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The entire engine has a poor or no ground. The starter is bolted to the engine so it too has no ground.

Mike

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page