1985 GL1200 LTD rear shock does not have a circlip - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing Limited
Garage
Question 1985 GL1200 LTD rear shock does not have a circlip

Much to my surprise, after watching multiple videos on youtube and reading a few posts in here, when I went to remove the circlip that holds the washers and oil seal in place on my rear air shocks for the 1985 goldwing limited edition THERE WASN'T ONE. In fact, there isnt a lower "fat" washer either. Rather than a circlip and washer, there is a large thick steel ring and a metal band that is not possible to be gotten at.

The manual mentioned that the rear shocks are not "serviceable", and even said that if you spill oil you have to send them to the dealer to be re-done. (which I think is probably old news)

Anyway, is anyone aware of rear shock on the 1985 LTD that didn't have a circlip and look like they don't want to be serviced?
I need help, as I expect the new seals to show up tomorrow and I am desperate to get this bike back on the road. She is my summer commuter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190326_212150.jpg (92.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190326_212242.jpg (72.0 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 PM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
I've never fooled with one of these but looking at the retainer ring and the seal, (?), there. it looks like if you push down on the seal a bit, that might give you enough clearance to remove the ring?? Using a dental pick on the end of the ring???? After all if it was supposed to be serviced at the dealership it SHOULD come apart with not too much problem judging by the level of competence at the local dealership.....
limpy45 likes this.

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have attempted to push against that big ring and it does not budge. I have an idea. It might be, that the only way to remove the components is to compress the spring, pop the top, unwind the top from the dampener, then remove the springs and gain access to the ring that is on the top of the seal. (if you watch the videos, they always have to put a small ring in the shock first, before they put the washers back in.)

Once that upper ring is gone, the bushing, seal and the big ring on the bottom should be free to move up a millimeter or so. Once they move up, I can remove the lower ring thus allowing for full disassembly.
That's about the most complicated I can assume a dealer could possibly handle. (much less a hack in his garage)

ugg. Wait, this would only free up the dampener. The springs would still be pushing very hard against the lower seal and big ring. I don't think I want to try to remove the dampener unless someone else knows for sure thats how to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:06 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
That is the way some of the GL12 shocks were. I can't remember for sure, but I think I used a piece of PVC tubing, a block of wood and a hammer to move that ring. Once moved, I don't think it springs back.

Keep track of how the pieces come out and don't lose any of the smaller clips that may come out.

Use STRONG bags to hold the shock when you blow the seals out. Really!

Oh, and to the forum.
limpy45 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:13 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Oops! just scanned your history and you're not a new member.

So, how many miles you have on the LTD now?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Knowing that the ring does indeed go up, I simply fashioned an old plumbers friend wooden handle into a nice OEM Ring Depressor (Special tool #2) and used the weight of the shock as the hammer. Gently rapped the handle against the floor and yup, the ring goes up and does not come back down.

Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190326_222935.jpg (145.2 KB, 9 views)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the welcome. I have mostly read posts of others and then gone and done what was already figured out.
I bought my baby 2 years ago and she lived a poor sheltered life. She only had 17K miles on her. What a shame right? For a 1985 its a shame to keep her locked up like that.

I am happy to report that she has been socialized quite well since I brought her home, and she now has 26K miles. I had to do a pretty drastic overhaul of seals and o-rings, but the exterior is in fabulous shape. Just what you would expect for a bike that was sheltered under a cover in a garage for most her life.
limpy45 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here she is after a ride into work on a rainy morning. I love the smell of the rain on the pipes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0205.jpg (76.5 KB, 22 views)
bobalou and limpy45 like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Nice ride. Have one myself. Wasn't loved like yours, but it is getting better. Have been refurbishing mine for the last 3 1/2 years, a little at a time.

What is the eye to eye measurement of the shock when together, thinking of going back to the air shock system. Thanks

Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
I run those LTD shocks on my GL 1500. Run about 40 to 50 lbs. air for two up riding. I had that set from my old LTD so I thought let's try them and it didn't cost $400. for Progressive's. I ran them all last year and they seem to be fine. I put Progressive shock's on the LTD and was not impressed with them. Way to much money for a pair of air shock's. Just my Option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1402 (1).jpg (94.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1403 (1).jpg (92.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1404.jpg (86.6 KB, 5 views)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page