Car tire wont set bead on 84 GL (sigh) - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Year: 84
Make: Aspencade
Model: GL 1200A
know when to say WHEN!!!! 90 PSI was it for me. found 3 x 5" card with car/bike wheel sizes. car wheel 14.968", bike wheel 15.080" seems small enuf to work on the casual observation, but.... u do the math.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

.112" bigger the MC wheel is than the car tire . just right.... to be wrong. ur mileage may vary.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Is there some reason you do not want to go with a 16" wheel?

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I don't care what size the wheel is, I just work with what I have for simplicity and COST. the bike is OLD with unknown miles (odo broke b4 I got it, didn't notice it when I bought it). not real well maintained, rear end had abt half the oil in the diff that it shd have had, no one ever checks/changes diff oil in anything... first thing I do. good money after bad, probably already past that point now.

if the ignition pick ups go bad on the back of the motor (swing arm has to be removed to get to parts that are no longer made ... for that year. ignition pick ups moved to front of motor under timing belt covers on the 85> models) that is more work that I care to do. first bike, shd have waited a little longer, done more research, got a NICER BIKE with an ODO that WORKED. lessons learned. $1500 bike with ~$800+ worth of work, a conservative estimate, of things that HAD to be dealt with, tires/brakes/fork seals... and it is still a ~$1500 bike (being optimistic)

oh seller polished it up, looked good, I was tired, after being up for too long, I bought it. ran well enuf, started well, looked ok, but was not well maintained, left outside.... to the point... ride it for a while longer... FOR SALE and get something newer/nicer that hasn't been through 10 owners. it is a CA bike, complete with pollution controls. didn't know that, although the pollution controls are minimal, still more things to go wrong/be in the way.

I don't trust it to the edge of town and back to be honest (no AAA Premium $110/yr) . its like a big scooter to me. im too big to ride a scooter. saw a 1500 for $1800 not long ago, it is gone now. or get the 1000/1100 naked/bobber, seen those too. they don't sell to well.. once made into bobbers seems like? . just have to KNOW that ... will be keeping a bobbed GL for a LONG time, rest of my days as a "bobber" is generally HD, yes? something simple to tinker with. I don't know.

I got new MC tire on it now, the tire will dry out / delaminate before it even becomes close to wearing out. I just thought I would TRY to get the CT on the MC wheel. u tube vid's seemed to show it was doable. im old, it took most everything I had (n not have heart attack) to get the tire/wheel off/on and put on coil overs, clean up splines/grease same (took pin drive out of hub on this bike, I don't think it had EVER seen any grease of any kind... rusty but HARD steel and the rubber drive cushions were good. dremel'd out the rust in the steel sleeves/cleaned pins/greased them up/re assembled=good for the remainder of the bikes/my life). I don't want to do it again.

if I wasn't some kind of gearhead that bike would be ... expired, by now from lack of oil in final drive and other PM's. love to have ...decent 1500 for decent price. 93 was first year for roller rockers and taking cruise control off motor for more consistent cruise RPM's... if cruise works? if I was a younger man, I might try to swap out the finals for 1500, but if I cld get a decent 93> 1500 for .... ~$2000 with an ODO (<100,000 miles) that worked and an owner that has had it long time/kept good records of PM's. when HAVE TO work on it more than ride it... im too old for that now. i'll ride it a little while longer and then...????
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:13 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICK MACK View Post
or get the 1000/1100 naked/bobber, seen those too. they don't sell to well.. once made into bobbers seems like? ]
True, those are only worth money to the guy that built it. I bought an 1100 bobber to flip a few years ago, the guy did a nice job on it and spent a lot on it, I got it cheap but had a hard time selling it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

yup, when a bobber.... going to keep it for a LONG TIME. the one I saw on CL (I shd have gotten) for... ~$1200 for a 1200. looked good, someone put work in it. I will keep looking on CL for something like that/screaming deals , now that I know wht to look for in GL's and how much it costs to fix/do the work on. is it a "deal" when buy it for $500... and HAVE TO put .... $800 into it to have a ... $800 bike? hummmm????

I am bad about that... I pick up strays... machines that is. eventually I MIGHT learn the difference between a "good deal" and..... less than a "good deal". it is something to do. as long as it isn't TOO much to do. went to see a naked...1100 with NO TITLE, owner rebuilt carbs ("there are a lot of little parts in there" he said... and it ran.... accordingly. $500 + parts shop told me for GL carb rebuild. ) and stator gone. I passed. $500.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICK MACK View Post
yup, when a bobber.... going to keep it for a LONG TIME. the one I saw on CL (I shd have gotten) for... ~$1200 for a 1200. looked good, someone put work in it. I will keep looking on CL for something like that/screaming deals , now that I know wht to look for in GL's and how much it costs to fix/do the work on. is it a "deal" when buy it for $500... and HAVE TO put .... $800 into it to have a ... $800 bike? hummmm????

I am bad about that... I pick up strays... machines that is. eventually I MIGHT learn the difference between a "good deal" and..... less than a "good deal". it is something to do. as long as it isn't TOO much to do. went to see a naked...1100 with NO TITLE, owner rebuilt carbs ("there are a lot of little parts in there" he said... and it ran.... accordingly. $500 + parts shop told me for GL carb rebuild. ) and stator gone. I passed. $500.
I hear that. No title it's worth it's weight in scrap metal.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

it had title... he gave the TITLE to a friend who he was going to GIVE the bike to. Great... never see the title again once buy the bike. police are funny abt things like that and ASS U ME that it is STOLEN and off it goes to impound where in no time at all it costs more in court costs/impound fees than it is worth. read abt that in MC book, motor was swapped in bike, bike sold, cops noticed different #s on motor than bike, off to impound it went never to be seen again as court costs / impound fees cost more than the bike was worth . SCORE!!! for cops/impound yard who sold it at auction to ... for nothing. watched U tube video abt "buying a used MC" guy said, "if it has electrical problems, WALK AWAY!" no title... WALK AWAY. it is just a hassle now to get a drivers license now from DMV, Lost title??? I think not. not worth the hassle/expense of dealing with DMV.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page