15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Winging Ed

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800
Engine stalls 2002 GL1800

I have the first ever technical problem with my 2002 Goldwing and I'm looking for someone who has had this issue and can point me in a direction.
I bought the bike new in 2002, and it only has 32k miles. I have always diligently did the maintenance almost to be considered obsessed.
Here is what started happening...
After only riding about a mile or two the bike "hiccups" a couple times then the F1 light comes on and engine dies. I pull over to the side of the road and begin trying to restart it. The F1 light is acting perfectly normal, everything else looks and sounds normal, but the engine turns over and will not hit. The only other symptom is the reverse does not work, the reverse indicator comes on but pressing the starter button does nothing.
Then, after trying and trying, it starts. Runs another mile or two and does the same thing over again.
I think it's acting like a fuel pump issue, but the sounds from it are the same as always and the F1 light is acting normal. Also, the fact that reverse will not energize until after the engine finally starts again tells me this could be an electrical problem.
Anyone had this happen before, or have any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Reverse will not work if the engine is not running so that's normal. I'm thinking maybe the crank position sensor. If you stop and put the sidestand down and crank it for 10 seconds you may get a flash code from the FI light.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Just did this on my car. It was the CPS.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingingEd View Post
I have the first ever technical problem with my 2002 Goldwing and I'm looking for someone who has had this issue and can point me in a direction.
I bought the bike new in 2002, and it only has 32k miles. I have always diligently did the maintenance almost to be considered obsessed.
Here is what started happening...
After only riding about a mile or two the bike "hiccups" a couple times then the F1 light comes on and engine dies. I pull over to the side of the road and begin trying to restart it. The F1 light is acting perfectly normal, everything else looks and sounds normal, but the engine turns over and will not hit. The only other symptom is the reverse does not work, the reverse indicator comes on but pressing the starter button does nothing.
Then, after trying and trying, it starts. Runs another mile or two and does the same thing over again.
I think it's acting like a fuel pump issue, but the sounds from it are the same as always and the F1 light is acting normal. Also, the fact that reverse will not energize until after the engine finally starts again tells me this could be an electrical problem.
Anyone had this happen before, or have any thoughts?
I wonder if Dave misspoke when he mentioned the possible crank sensor. That maybe he meant to say camshaft position sensor. I do not believe they have a crank sensor as the pulse generators do that job??? It is possible the PG's have failed.
It is not unusual for the reluctor and pickup type sensors to not set codes. The reason is that the signal can just scramble and not necessarily quit. Also the ECU can interpret the lack of signal as the key being on and engine not cranking. I have had some success diagnosing these sensors 9when no code is set) by running the engine until it quits. Then spray the sensor with a garden hose to cool it off. If it starts again there is a good chance the sensor has failed. Unfortunately if the engine still does not start that doesn't mean the sensor is good.
Just for curiosity when it won't start crank the engine and see if the tach measures some RPM. Good hint maybe??? When the engine quits follow the instructions below but do not turn off the key when it quits.

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC DATA INDICATION
PROCEDURE
Place the motorcycle on its side stand.
Turn the ignition switch to “ON” and engine stop
switch to “ .”
The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) comes on for
a few seconds, then goes off.
Start the engine and let it idle.
• If the engine will not start, turn the starter motor
for more than 10 seconds and check that the MIL
blinks
If the MIL does not blink, the ECM has no problem
data.
If the MIL blinks, read and record how many times
the MIL blinks, and determine the cause of the
problem .
• The MIL will start blinking when the side stand is
lowered and the engine speed is below
1,500 rpm. If the side stand is retracted or the
engine speed is above 1,500 rpm, the MIL will
illuminate and stay on.

􀀀
􀀀  

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I wonder if Dave misspoke when he mentioned the possible crank sensor.
No, I did not misspeak, it has a CKP sensor as well as a CMP. Pulse generator is just another name for the same animal. The ECU can detect the lack of signal from the CKP if is getting a signal from the CMP.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
No, I did not misspeak, it has a CKP sensor as well as a CMP. Pulse generator is just another name for the same animal. The ECU can detect the lack of signal from the CKP if is getting a signal from the CMP.
Didn't mean to step on your toes. It was only my intention to point out that the crank sensor has been known for over 30 years as pulse generators. Just to avoid some confusion. I agree the symptom is typical of crank sensor (PG's) and it should flash FI code 19....I believe.

Ed, try to get some codes (or lack of) and check back with the guys for more .help.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 04:25 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Ed, if it craps out on you again, teach it a lesson and just leave it sitting on the side of the road. You have to let a bike know who's boss and that you won't put up with any of its foolishness.
redwing52 and Bvanemon like this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
It was only my intention to point out that the crank sensor has been known for over 30 years as pulse generators.
Until GL1800s, it is in the Honda manual as a crank position sensor. It was a PG from 1980 to 2000 but it (they) was in a dry location, that might be the difference in terminology. Yes, it would produce a code 19.

If it dies again pull over without turning the switch off, put the sidestand down, it should flash a code if one is present.
redwing52 likes this.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Until GL1800s, it is in the Honda manual as a crank position sensor. It was a PG from 1980 to 2000 but it (they) was in a dry location, that might be the difference in terminology. Yes, it would produce a code 19.

If it dies again pull over without turning the switch off, put the sidestand down, it should flash a code if one is present.
Terminology is sort of my pet peeve. It has caused me a lot of trouble and confusion. I'm sure you have stories as well. It is bad enough that someone might use different names for the same thing but I have had experiences where they refer to the same item with two different names in the same paragraph. Also, is there such a thing as proof reading any more? Caterpillar has one of the better systems. Most have paper copy manuals so if there is a mistake you are stuck with it. They might or might not even change the issue on future published manuals but no help for those who have manuals with mistakes. I can understand why they can't afford proof readers though. It is because they sell the manuals for such a reasonable price. Cat has online manuals and you buy a subscription. If there is an error they fix it. The next guy who comes in 5 minutes later gets the right info. Ford has that in there Oasis system but only dealers can get it. We rely on the manuals as Gospel. Even a missing slash mark can cause confusion and hours of aggravation but I just don't think any one cares any more. Service like the old days is dead. Can you remember gas for .16 cents a gallon? Wash your windshield pump the gas check air in the tires and check your oil. I feel so lucky to have lived when I did. Those were the days.

Mike

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:04 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Terminology is sort of my pet peeve. It has caused me a lot of trouble and confusion. I'm sure you have stories as well.
You would have gone crazy working for Honda. I have seen many cases of a part being called one thing in the service manuals, another in the parts catalog and another still in the flat rate manual. It really gets confusing sometimes.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page