Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Out of gas......TWICE!!!!!! (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666781-out-gas-twice.html)

Loyd Pittman 03-30-2019 10:21 AM

Out of gas......TWICE!!!!!!

'96 1500, I always run the tank low when i'm just riding local. Usually use the low fuel indicator to alert me to start looking for fuel. So, long story short, ran out of gas.....was about 5 miles from the house, so the wife was nice enough to bring me a couple gallons of gas. Less than 15 minutes later, I was on my merry way.

I didn't think to check the low fuel lamp initially, assuming the bulb had burned out. On the second or third key on cycle after getting the roadside rescue, I noticed the LFL came on with the other dash lamps for the few second test when you turn the key on.....WELL looky there!

So I continued to run the last of the 2 gallons, give or take, out of the bike to see if the lamp would come back on at the low fuel level......no luck.....out of gas the second time.....(I had a spare gallon in the side bag this time!)

So, What gives? Can I change the LFL sensor separately or do I have to replace the whole in tank unit?

joe in calif 03-30-2019 10:54 AM

The low fuel sensor in the tank is bad. The light bulb comes on when you turn the key on is a test of the bulb, not the sending unit.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2192/...475671f3_o.jpg

DaveO430 03-30-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loyd Pittman (Post 5832581)
'96 1500, I always run the tank low when i'm just riding local. Usually use the low fuel indicator to alert me to start looking for fuel. So, long story short, ran out of gas.....was about 5 miles from the house, so the wife was nice enough to bring me a couple gallons of gas. Less than 15 minutes later, I was on my merry way.

I didn't think to check the low fuel lamp initially, assuming the bulb had burned out. On the second or third key on cycle after getting the roadside rescue, I noticed the LFL came on with the other dash lamps for the few second test when you turn the key on.....WELL looky there!

So I continued to run the last of the 2 gallons, give or take, out of the bike to see if the lamp would come back on at the low fuel level......no luck.....out of gas the second time.....(I had a spare gallon in the side bag this time!)

So, What gives? Can I change the LFL sensor separately or do I have to replace the whole in tank unit?

Probably the thermistor in the tank is bad. Somewhere on the web are instructions to replace it.

DaveO430 03-30-2019 12:25 PM

I have some thermistors. Come get one if you want.

Bellboy40 03-30-2019 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pdf file of some instructions I saved from a thread about replacing the thermister for the low fuel light. No pictures but if you take the fuel pump out you should be able to see what they are talking about.

ALEX BERECZKY 04-01-2019 10:57 AM

jimduffenais 04-03-2019 05:02 PM

Why would you run your tank so dry. All dirt and debris being pulled in through the carbs.

DenverWinger 04-03-2019 06:24 PM

Pump pulls fuel from the bottom of the tank anyway, so if there's dirt and debris in there it will get pumped into the filter whether the tank is full or almost empty... Doesn't matter.

jimduffenais 04-03-2019 07:10 PM

Fair enough..i can see that. Thanks

van002 04-04-2019 06:30 PM

I never rely on the gage or low fuel lights. Comes from being a general aviation pilot I guess, as small aircraft gages are typically considered unreliable. I frequently calculate the mileage and have a high mpg and low mpg figure that I use to determine fuel stops. On the highway, when I hit 150 miles, I need to be in front of a gas pump. Local and slower roads, I use 180 miles. Have never run out that way.