pix of big/lil spacers in rear axle - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Year: 84
Make: Aspencade
Model: GL 1200A
pix of big/lil spacers in rear axle

I didn't take pix of spacers when I took the wheel off, where does the BIG spacer go ... and the little ones? I seen pix of little ones, the big one goes... between the drive unit and the driven flange on the rear wheel, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Show us pics of the spacers you are talking about.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I got it that 3rd hand/arm is awful slow in coming, evolutionary wise. driveshaft wudnt go into U joint splines? I wondered why there was a chunk missing from the differential end of the driveshaft.... HAMMER TIME from person that ... didn't take time to message the end of the driveshaft with grinder to get it to go into the U joint. there sure is a lot of superfluous stuff on that bike. to hold the Tupperware on the bike. no wonder ppl dispense with all that stuff and make it a bobber. seen a couple GL 1200 bobbers for not much money. sure wud be easier to work on in the baggage area... with no baggage. Coilovers first thing , hope they work well, got to be better than Blown air shocks, yes?

poor thing has been thru the ringer... by ppl that cant seem to keep nuts/bolts in something (a box?) so that they have the original nuts/bolts that held things on. those HF 3" magnet things to put nuts/bolts into are real handy @ $1/each. I must have ...10 of them now. now put on rebuilt rear caliper, suck the brake fluid thru the caliper with 1" plastic disposable syringe and clear line (Teflon taped the bleeder threads so it wont suck air past the threads) and might have back brakes now. coil overs in the back installed for blown factory shocks that I will never have the patience to try to rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

there are one LONG spacer that goes inside the differential, 2 top hat looking spacers that go on either side of the brake caliper.... is there another regular washer that goes between the swing arm and the first spacer, looking at it from the rear, R>L? little washer, spacer, caliper bracket, spacer going into the wheel, 4" long spacer in the differential, differential, big lock nut that wants 65 ft/lb of torque. probably shd replace that nyloc nut every time to be safe?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 10:39 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
Correct orientation and no need to replaced the axle nut as it will never come loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00856.JPG (146.6 KB, 16 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Yup, Yup, Yup (3 wise men... King of the Hill I got it. 3rd hand would have been nice, but I got it!!! YEA TEAM! there is no I in T E A M, but there is a ME? I think there is one more flat washer that goes between the swing arm and L Spacer (with its flange toward Disc caliper mount, and the other same spacer with its flange toward the disc caliper mount, mirror images of each other). I cannot imagine trying to get that washer in there without that evolutionary slow in coming 3rd hand/arm, so it falls by the wayside the first tire change.

read abt rear wheel (possible failure) on cast alum wheels of 84-87 GL's, wider tire than the <83's and MORE WEIGHT. spoke wheels have some give to them, cast aluminum wheels have no give to them resulting in all road/load force being transferred to ONE wheel bearing (78% load on driven side wheel bearing)

the wider tire/wheel put the "outer" R driven wheel bearing closer to the wheel centerline and so now that ONE bearing was supporting 78% of the bikes weight (380# MAX... 2 healthy ppl are ~380# + gear...400+), the L side (disc brake side) bearing now becomes a "coaster" bearing. the end result was cracking of the aluminum hub on the R (Driven) side of wheel, clicking (broken bearings/cracked race?) and eventual failure. Recall was done that = new wheel with "wedding band" on the outside of the hub to help keep the aluminum wheel hub from cracking from excessive loads that ppl put on GL's.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Why don't you look at Honda's fiche for the pertinent systems on the bike? I'm having a real hard time figuring out what parts you are referring to, and without some pics...

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

the above pix of axle shaft with spacers on it is what I was looking for, but I thought there was one more flat washer on the L side against the swing arm? I think there might have been one flat washer there, but it falls off/rolls away on the first or 2nd tire change and that is the end of that. at least I have both of the spacers IN THERE and facing the right way.

when took bike to shop to have Shinko 230 Tour master put on 5 yrs ago (delaminated now/disposed of) the mechanics were NOT happy to tie up the shop with OLD bike on the lift for 5 days waiting for the other spacer to come in to put on the axle shaft. so before doing rear axle work, make sure it has BOTH of the BIG SPACERS already on the axle. if it doesn't, order another axle WITH SPACERS off of ... for ~$12, those magnetic dishes from HF for $ are well worth to get 10 of them, W/coupon. leave one on the bike to catch all of the little washers etc. when disassembling things. have 2-3-4 of them available for bigger jobs.

small round things have a tendency to... roll away and not be found until the job is.... all done and a person figures it was such a chore to fight that wheel/tire/splines.... that put the extra parts in the saddlebag to be thrown away by the next owner that has no clue as to what the part is. when everything is done, there is ALWAYS one more thing to do, besides pick up the extra (hopefully) superfluous parts that are left over.

watch out for parts falling out and sticking to the UNDERSIDE of the magnet and .... and ordering new one to later find the one that was missing on the UNDERNEATH of the magnetic parts holder. keep magnets away from credit/debit cards as magnets RUIN magnetic strips on CC/debit cards.
this has been a Public Service Announcement (PSA), not to be confused with prostate test, PSA.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
The 80 1100 was the only model to use a flat washer against the brake caliper bracket >>>>>>>>>>>>>Period.

The spacer in my picture above, keeps the left arm in proper alignment, which Honda started using on the 81 1100.

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Model: GL1200A Bike & GL1500SE/GTL Trike
Garage
And that pinch bolt in left leg is last to get torqued upon reassembly. The leg may or may not be against the spacer as to rear wheel failures, just that there's not a lot of material around the drive side bearing it can be up dated to a more robust 1500 wheel with it's double row drive side bearing, 1500 final drive, 1500 caliper bracket and you get a larger dia. rear rotor. Just my run a 150/80-16 rear tire, paint spokes black to match.

'97 GL-1500 SE / Lehman GTL Trike
...( Candy Spectra Red )
'85 GL-1200 Aspencade
...( Vintage Red )

NRA, VSPA, & GWRRA Life Member
"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page