Result of a near disaster: 82-1100-I - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
I think Redwing is on to something, that the jolt may have jammed a pin or two in the starter clutch. Over the years, those pins can get gummed up with sludge and varnish. Make it a practice to add Seafoam to your crankcase for the last 100 easy miles before each oil change. When filling with fresh oil, pay attention to Honda's oil weight recommendations for the expected riding season/temperatures.
PAPete likes this.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM

Year: 1977, et al
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1000/1200
Probably means something else, but “ Yes the engine has to come out to put the starter in. The starter is chain drive, the sprocket will fall when the starter is removed. “ isn’t true. Sprocket can’t go far and could not do damage unless you ripped the bike completely up-side down. Requires a little foreplay to get it aligned.
DaveO430 and limpy45 like this.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
goldwing

Just a comment on counter steering. Pushing the handlebar forward on the inside of a turn does the same thing and it's lots easier to remember. Push in the direction you want to go.

If a quick move is needed you "push to your escape path."

Rayjoe
AZgl1800, DaveO430, PAPete and 2 others like this.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Year: 1982 & 1985
Model: 82 GL1100-I PA/85 GL1200-A ID
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I wonder if your excursion upset the sprague and now that it has righted itself you might never have another issue if you keep it on the road. Won't hurt to give it a look over but if nothing seems amiss you might be fine.
This is what I'm hoping. I turned the starter on five times today with the kill switch off, and it turned the engine over every time, no problem. Of course this was a cold engine -- no time for a ride -- so we'll have to see how it behaves with the engine warmed.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I have had that happen twice when not paying attention. As for the starting, if it's working don't fix it.
That's exactly what happened this time: I wasn't paying attention to my speed going into the turn. And since the starter seems to be working (see post just above), I'll leave it alone. Thanks, Dave.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 View Post
Yes the engine has to come out to put the starter in. The starter is chain drive, the sprocket will fall when the starter is removed. The clutch is behind the flywheel.
On the 1100 and 1200 Hondas at least, the starter can be removed, cleaned and repaired fairly easily without removing the engine. (I've done it on my 1200.) I just didn't know where the starter clutch was, for which you gave me the bad news. I'll wait for it happen again before I do anything about it. And thanks for the post. I appreciate your help.
limpy45 likes this.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:32 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPete View Post
That's exactly what happened this time: I wasn't paying attention to my speed going into the turn. And since the starter seems to be working (see post just above), I'll leave it alone. Thanks, Dave.
Was on a highway I never traveled before and someone knocked down the warning sign so I came in the turn way to fast. Lucky no cars were coming the other way. Lucky the ditch was not much more than a slight depression. Lucky there was a corn field to catch me and my ex-wife. Well lucky it caught me anyway. Just kidding.
DaveO430, limpy45 and tamathumper like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:37 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
You know...

I was lucky...

once.

Since then, it's been up to me to make good decisions.

Can't say that has worked out very well, either.
Peter Goldwing likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:48 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Positioning myself correctly at the turn has kept me in my comfort zone most of the time. Remember outside-inside-outside.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:27 PM

Year: 84
Make: Aspencade
Model: GL 1200A
dont ride faster than....

starter come out on my84 easy enuf... after fighting it for 10 mins... it fell out. I did it with bike on side stand with 2x4 under sidestand gives a little more room to work and bike was still tipped toward side stand... just enuf to keep it from falling over the other way, but not really. it was stable. took starter apart, it would occasionally WHIIIIING and not engage (weak battery, although volt meter still read 12.x volts?) took starter apart, cleaned out graphite dust, that shunts power to ground, without full power going thru brushes to crank motor. cleaned out OLD NASTY grease out of planetary reduction unit, replaced with a blend of gear oil and a little grease. reinstalled... same thing... fought it for 10 mins, thinking oh oh.... and then it fell in like it fell out. chain sprocket did not go anywhere since bike was still tipped over side stand side.

take exhaust header loose (WD 40 is ur friend, as is anti seize on re assembly) mine has twice pipes with HD take off's so each side is independent with little S pipe between header and HD take off muffler (80 dB @ 3000 RPM's is plenty loud, for me). the brushes were good @ >5mm. book sais NOT to sand the area where the brushes ride, I did, no apparent harm done. I like a fresh surface for brushes to ride on. Occam's Razor.... all things being =.... the simplest answer tends to be the correct answer. IT WONT START?! lets take those carbs apart!!!!!.... got gas??? fuel valve turned on ? don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
limpy45 likes this.

Last edited by MICK MACK; 04-11-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: addendum

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page