Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Result of a near disaster: 82-1100-I (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666925-result-near-disaster-82-1100-i.html)

PAPete 04-11-2019 09:25 AM

Result of a near disaster: 82-1100-I

Since I started riding about 20 years ago, I have missed a turn and driven off the road three times -- twice in the first couple years of riding. It happened again yesterday when I went into a turn too fast.

Fortunately, I was able to keep the "shiny side up" (to coin a phrase) and get the bike back on the road safely. But I hit one very large hole which maxed out the suspension, threw me way up off the saddle, and landed hard.

When I got home, shut the bike off, and tried to start it again, the starter just whirred and then clanked off. Engine didn't budge, and I can hear something slipping -- in the starter I think. After a couple tries it did "catch" and started up easily.

What do you think I did to it? And how do I fix it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Sprocketrocket55 04-11-2019 09:39 AM

I doubt the starting problem is related to the offroading. Starter clutch or starter planetary gear slipping. Check for loose bolts.
As for your driving, practice pulling slightly on the handlebar the wrong way, this will send the bike into a deep lean for quick maneuvers.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

PAPete 04-11-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 (Post 5834937)
I doubt the starting problem is related to the offroading. Starter clutch or starter planetary gear slipping. Check for loose bolts.
As for your driving, practice pulling slightly on the handlebar the wrong way, this will send the bike into a deep lean for quick maneuvers.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have a look for the starter clutch and planetary gear. I assume they're inside the starter?

You're absolutely right about the practice I need. Hardly rode at all the last two years -- probably less than 500 miles total. Not feeling too comfortable out there this year.

Sprocketrocket55 04-11-2019 10:12 AM

The the planetary gear is inside the starter. The starter clutch is inside the engine

PAPete 04-11-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 (Post 5834941)
The starter clutch is inside the engine

This means the engine has to come out?

redwing52 04-11-2019 10:54 AM

The spragus internal the engine can be finicky at times. They are fairly sensitive as you can tell by all the members who have issues from just thick oil. I wonder if your excursion upset the sprague and now that it has righted itself you might never have another issue if you keep it on the road. Won't hurt to give it a look over but if nothing seems amiss you might be fine. :)

AZgl1800 04-11-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

This has saved my bacon more times than I can count.
Following traffic back 3 or 5 car lengths and suddenly they make a twitch sideways. :surprise:

5 car lengths is only 100 feet give or take, and at 60 mph you have 1.2 - 1.5 seconds to recognize and avoid an obstacle or hole.

1 second of that is lost while your brain is taking in the facts. the last 1/2 second is the time it took for me to shove hard on one of the hand grips to avoid that hole, or rock, or broken car parts.

I once a few decades back, took a driving test in a simulator..... the video presents you with scenarios that require you to take defensive action.

I learned a lot from that simulator.... my best time was 0.4ish seconds to hit the brake pedal when there was no other possible outlet. now some 4 decades later? my response time has to be much slower.

DaveO430 04-11-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

AKA counter steering, which you do any time you take a curve whether you realize it or not.

DaveO430 04-11-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAPete (Post 5834935)
Since I started riding about 20 years ago, I have missed a turn and driven off the road three times -- twice in the first couple years of riding. It happened again yesterday when I went into a turn too fast.

Fortunately, I was able to keep the "shiny side up" (to coin a phrase) and get the bike back on the road safely. But I hit one very large hole which maxed out the suspension, threw me way up off the saddle, and landed hard.

When I got home, shut the bike off, and tried to start it again, the starter just whirred and then clanked off. Engine didn't budge, and I can hear something slipping -- in the starter I think. After a couple tries it did "catch" and started up easily.

What do you think I did to it? And how do I fix it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

I have had that happen twice when not paying attention. Fortunately both times there was a road leading straight off the curves. Someone is looking out for me.

As for the starting, if it's working don't fix it.

Sprocketrocket55 04-11-2019 11:25 AM

Yes the engine has to come out to put the starter in. The starter is chain drive, the sprocket will fall when the starter is removed. The clutch is behind the flywheel. Sorry, hope ot keeps working.