LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Year: 1982 & 1985
Make: Honda
Model: 82 GL1100-I PA/85 GL1200-A ID
Garage
Result of a near disaster: 82-1100-I

Since I started riding about 20 years ago, I have missed a turn and driven off the road three times -- twice in the first couple years of riding. It happened again yesterday when I went into a turn too fast.

Fortunately, I was able to keep the "shiny side up" (to coin a phrase) and get the bike back on the road safely. But I hit one very large hole which maxed out the suspension, threw me way up off the saddle, and landed hard.

When I got home, shut the bike off, and tried to start it again, the starter just whirred and then clanked off. Engine didn't budge, and I can hear something slipping -- in the starter I think. After a couple tries it did "catch" and started up easily.

What do you think I did to it? And how do I fix it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Year: 1985
Model: Interstate
I doubt the starting problem is related to the offroading. Starter clutch or starter planetary gear slipping. Check for loose bolts.
As for your driving, practice pulling slightly on the handlebar the wrong way, this will send the bike into a deep lean for quick maneuvers.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Peter Goldwing likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 View Post
I doubt the starting problem is related to the offroading. Starter clutch or starter planetary gear slipping. Check for loose bolts.
As for your driving, practice pulling slightly on the handlebar the wrong way, this will send the bike into a deep lean for quick maneuvers.
Thanks for the quick response. I'll have a look for the starter clutch and planetary gear. I assume they're inside the starter?

You're absolutely right about the practice I need. Hardly rode at all the last two years -- probably less than 500 miles total. Not feeling too comfortable out there this year.
limpy45 likes this.

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 AM

The the planetary gear is inside the starter. The starter clutch is inside the engine

limpy45 likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Impersonating a mechanic

Garage
Quote:
The starter clutch is inside the engine
This means the engine has to come out?

Pete

82 GL1100-I -- PA
85 GL1200-A -- ID
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
The spragus internal the engine can be finicky at times. They are fairly sensitive as you can tell by all the members who have issues from just thick oil. I wonder if your excursion upset the sprague and now that it has righted itself you might never have another issue if you keep it on the road. Won't hurt to give it a look over but if nothing seems amiss you might be fine.
corkya and OldSchool_IsCool like this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:

This has saved my bacon more times than I can count.
Following traffic back 3 or 5 car lengths and suddenly they make a twitch sideways.

5 car lengths is only 100 feet give or take, and at 60 mph you have 1.2 - 1.5 seconds to recognize and avoid an obstacle or hole.

1 second of that is lost while your brain is taking in the facts. the last 1/2 second is the time it took for me to shove hard on one of the hand grips to avoid that hole, or rock, or broken car parts.

I once a few decades back, took a driving test in a simulator..... the video presents you with scenarios that require you to take defensive action.

I learned a lot from that simulator.... my best time was 0.4ish seconds to hit the brake pedal when there was no other possible outlet. now some 4 decades later? my response time has to be much slower.

NASR 12
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

Forum link=>
https://bit.ly/2RsUJos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:12 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
AKA counter steering, which you do any time you take a curve whether you realize it or not.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPete View Post
Since I started riding about 20 years ago, I have missed a turn and driven off the road three times -- twice in the first couple years of riding. It happened again yesterday when I went into a turn too fast.

Fortunately, I was able to keep the "shiny side up" (to coin a phrase) and get the bike back on the road safely. But I hit one very large hole which maxed out the suspension, threw me way up off the saddle, and landed hard.

When I got home, shut the bike off, and tried to start it again, the starter just whirred and then clanked off. Engine didn't budge, and I can hear something slipping -- in the starter I think. After a couple tries it did "catch" and started up easily.

What do you think I did to it? And how do I fix it. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
I have had that happen twice when not paying attention. Fortunately both times there was a road leading straight off the curves. Someone is looking out for me.

As for the starting, if it's working don't fix it.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM

Yes the engine has to come out to put the starter in. The starter is chain drive, the sprocket will fall when the starter is removed. The clutch is behind the flywheel. Sorry, hope ot keeps working.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in