Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Hunting idle, dead spot off idle (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666927-hunting-idle-dead-spot-off-idle.html)

WALTSTAR 04-11-2019 02:46 PM

Hunting idle, dead spot off idle

I went through the '88 GL1500 and put in new ignition wires, E3 plugs, tightened all the carb connections, found no cracked hoses, cleaned the coils, rebuilt the cooling system after cleaning-flushing & painting (now the bike runs at 1/4 the temp gauge), resealed the cooling ducts and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb body orifices & slides. I noticed a pressure release when I took off the gas cap and dont know what else to check. The bike rides great above idle and at speed. Pulling off in first with very light throttle reveals the dead spot and then a surge. The bike idles evenly but hunts to about 1200 rpm every five seconds now and then.

HELP ME, please

AZgl1800 04-11-2019 06:37 PM

ignore the pressure release when you open the gas cap, it is normal. it is a sealed system.

just like on our cars/trucks.

Bike...and Dennis 04-11-2019 06:40 PM

Did you replace the hoses under the carbs?

DBohrer 04-12-2019 10:33 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Waltstar, Read the two (2) attached Service Bulletins for the 1988.

Pages 1 - 4 and 5 - 9.......!

WALTSTAR 04-12-2019 12:27 PM

Thanking you, I will start to investigate the cause with your documentation. Walt.

ALEX BERECZKY 04-12-2019 04:06 PM

2 Things to do:

1) Verify that the 2 Rubber Isolators are tight, located between each the 2 carbs and the intake manifold. Each Isolator has a hose clamp at bottom and top (So, 4 screws total).
You'll need a long screwdriver... ~2ft Phillips

2) Balance the carbs... using mercury carb balancing stick.

DBohrer 04-12-2019 04:47 PM

In post # 1 Walt said he "tightened all the carb connections". I would think that to include the isolator screws.

Giving him some credit.....!!!!

WALTSTAR 04-12-2019 06:33 PM

Yup, first thing was tighten and dab gasket shellac on the screws. I have mercury balancers, but want to
1) seafoam the carbs to try and clean the off idle squirters
2) check the pump diaphragm if the seafoam does nothing to help. I have about 1/4 tank so I figure to pour a bottle in and see what it does.

redwing52 04-12-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WALTSTAR (Post 5835185)
Yup, first thing was tighten and dab gasket shellac on the screws. I have mercury balancers, but want to
1) seafoam the carbs to try and clean the off idle squirters
2) check the pump diaphragm if the seafoam does nothing to help. I have about 1/4 tank so I figure to pour a bottle in and see what it does.

Walt,
Are you aware that the clamps have stops on them so you can not overtighten them when new. Over time the rubber gets soft and mushy. If the clamps are tightened all the way to the stop you can screw on them and say they are tight even though they might not be squeezing the intake or carbs. It is just that the screw is tight against the stop. With the airbox off grab the carbs and wrench them back and forth a bit. They should stay in place pretty much and return to the original position.
Did you try spraying around all the vacuum lines and isolators to check them for leaks. That can be a pretty helpful test if you spritz gas, carb cleaner or even water to see how it affect the running of the bike. Obviously if you spray and all is sealed nothing will change. It should just run the same.

joe in calif 04-13-2019 08:55 AM

88 & 89 Wings had a hesitation off idle. A 4 or 6 degree trigger wheel to advance the timing solved the problem for most oowners