Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   '86 SEI stability issues (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666929-86-sei-stability-issues.html)

EAGLECRY24 04-11-2019 09:28 PM

'86 SEI stability issues

9 Attachment(s)
Good evening gents.

Ive recently done quite a bit of maintenance on the ol girl and she was down for at least 6 months while I was working. When I put her back on the road she feels unstable at speeds over 70 mph. No vibrations, just weaving back and forth no matter the wind. I can incite the weave at around 60-65 by dodging a pothole move.

MX performed:
Front tire leak (around the rim) fixed.
Rear tire (same brand as before) replaced.
Rear brake rotor replaced.
Grips replace with Kuryken (or however you spell them).
Head bearings retorqued (replaced last year with AllBalls).

Ive double checked the rear axle install, the torque on all the triple tree hardware and front wheel hardware.

This same weaving was felt before all of this before but only in high speed turns. This bike has 115k miles and well taken care of. Everything still works on it except a few ligh bulbs I dont know how to get to.

Im running same pressures in the tires and suspension as before.

DaveO430 04-11-2019 09:35 PM

How much pressure are you running in the tires? If not at the maximum from the sidewall of the tire try adding some more pressure.

EAGLECRY24 04-11-2019 10:22 PM

9 Attachment(s)
41 if I recall. I’ll recheck and bump it up a little. I wonder if I put too much torque on the head bearings...?

redwing52 04-11-2019 11:04 PM

Swing arm issue? Frame rusted out near the bearings or loose bearing? If you ride straight through a puddle of water do you leave a single line behind you or a double line? Tracking straight.

Bike...and Dennis 04-12-2019 12:35 AM

Could be as simple as an over-torqued steering head bearing. Though those usually show up at lower speeds, too.

EAGLECRY24 04-12-2019 12:48 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 5835087)
Swing arm issue? Frame rusted out near the bearings or loose bearing? If you ride straight through a puddle of water do you leave a single line behind you or a double line? Tracking straight.

I tried to move it by hand on the center stand. Maybe need to replace those bearings as well. I don’t know the correct procedure for checking looseness except for applying pressure while unloaded. I’m fairly certain it tracks in line.

EAGLECRY24 04-12-2019 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5835105)
Could be as simple as an over-torqued steering head bearing. Though those usually show up at lower speeds, too.

I’ll loosen the bearings and try again. Before and after I change the head bearings at around 40 mph (maybe lower) if I hit a bump with a loose hand grip, the front shimmies fairly aggressive. Not above 55 though.

DaveO430 04-12-2019 05:35 AM

I didn't see fork oil on your maintenance list.

julimike54 04-12-2019 09:08 AM

Follow the Honda shop manual for setting the head bearings. It's kind of a pain but works!

EAGLECRY24 04-12-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5835113)
I didn't see fork oil on your maintenance list.

That was done last year with new seals with the head bearings.