87 Gl 1200 carb rebuilt with 102/35 jets - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
You say new, but what kind of air cleaner are you using?

Is the AC housing back together and sealing correctly?

Tell us about how you cleaned the carbs. WD-40 and vinegar probably won't do the job.

And, are you still using the kit's #32 slow jets?

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 PM

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Random ideas that might not be related to the carbs. Make sure the radiator fan isn't running continuously if operating temp is taking too long. My goldwings previous owner wired it up to run continuously and it took forever to get up to temp when cold outside.

Also, check your petcock and gas tank breather. On my Triumph, I had a few stalls when I'd put it in to higher RPMs due to a clogged gas cap not letting make-up air in. My goldwing makes some interesting noises from the gas cap when I park it so cleaning mine is on my list.

I'm a newbie with goldwings so better advice may come from others, but they are some quick ideas you can try next time you are in the shop.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1987
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
You say new, but what kind of air cleaner are you using?

Is the AC housing back together and sealing correctly?

Tell us about how you cleaned the carbs. WD-40 and vinegar probably won't do the job.

And, are you still using the kit's #32 slow jets?
Dennis ...
I'm not sure how to answer your 1st question... the air cleaner is the same one as the one i found in the bike when i got it ... but new... oval shape... approx 8" inches high

The air box is back together and I was specially careful at it being sealed around the foam gaskets...

. WD 40 bath for 24h was to break free the head of the jet...
. Then oven cleaner bath to dissolve the gunk (20 min)
. Then vinegar bath to neutralise the alkaline oven cleaner and take away more gunk...
At this point the copper was already shiny as new...
Then inside and out micro carbon fibers brush ... inside the tube is a collar that collected all the green **** and took me forever to clean in each jet...
Made sure that all the little holes were perfectly clean with nylon wires...
When a white piece of cloth was going throuh the whole jet and coming out white i was done...
Job took me a little more than 2 hours for the 4 jets...

. 35 the slow jets in the kit were labeled 35... yes they're still in...

Someone on a different forum suggested that I should test the fuel pump...
I didn't think about it... to me that was a binary situation... either it works or don't and since the engine cranks and would run forever at idle up to 1200 rpm i didn't think about testing the fuel pump... I come from a world where fuel pump are mechanical one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeySubie View Post
Random ideas that might not be related to the carbs. Make sure the radiator fan isn't running continuously if operating temp is taking too long. My goldwings previous owner wired it up to run continuously and it took forever to get up to temp when cold outside.

Also, check your petcock and gas tank breather. On my Triumph, I had a few stalls when I'd put it in to higher RPMs due to a clogged gas cap not letting make-up air in. My goldwing makes some interesting noises from the gas cap when I park it so cleaning mine is on my list.

I'm a newbie with goldwings so better advice may come from others, but they are some quick ideas you can try next time you are in the shop.
Thanks for the suggestions Smokey
The fan never kicked in so far...
Now that you're telling me this about the gas cap ... it reminds me that everytime i opened the gas tank i had a depressurization sound as if the tank was sealed shut... i'll definitely check this
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:25 PM

Is the air filter paper, or foam?

Why are you using the kit jets? Your problem is the slow speed and you are using questionable slow speed jets.

And I see nothing about you cleaning the carbs. Have you removed them from the plenum and soaked them in CARB CLEANER, or sonic cleaned them, or...?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Is the air filter paper, or foam?

Why are you using the kit jets? Your problem is the slow speed and you are using questionable slow speed jets.

And I see nothing about you cleaning the carbs. Have you removed them from the plenum and soaked them in CARB CLEANER, or sonic cleaned them, or...?
Air filter is paper inside a metal grill...
I'm using the kit jets because so far slow rpm didn't seem to be A PROBLEM...
And since earlier in this thread you told me that the MAIN JET 102 were my problem i didn't assume changing the slow speed kit jets would MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE...
Now that you're telling me my slow jets ARE the problem... I'm gonna take apart the carb bank a 3rd TIME to also change the slow jets back to the old ones...

No I didn't take the carbs apart from the plenum to soak them in CARB CLEANER ..because all the informations, videos and tutorials I've SEEN so far seems to indicate it's not a mandatory step if inside the bank looks shiny and bright which was my case for a 35000 miles bike... now if you TELL ME it has to be done... I'll do it...

As much as I appreciate your efforts and knowledges let me tell you that you have a funny way to adress people...
I THOUGHT forums like this one were a way to learn and self educate on interesting subjects aka restoring one own wing... but if it's an occasion to be looked down to by admins I'll go somewhere else...
Peace
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:00 PM

At no time did I say it's okay to use the kit jets, and I don't remember anyone else here saying so. But...

I'm sorry you think I'm grilling you. It's just a matter of not getting answers the first time I asked the questions.

Air cleaner condition and quality can make a big difference how a GL12 runs. And air passages can be plugged no matter how shiny the carbs are. And you haven't answered other's questions about setting float levels.

There are reputable carburetor mechanics around the country. Go to https://www.randakks.com/ and get a list of them and send your carb bank to one of them. They will use quality parts, no shims, and clean all the passageways. Job done.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
IMO,

if you do NOT remove the carbs from the plenum, and put them in an Ultrasonic bath with a solvent, you are wasting your time.

the tiny little passages won't be clean.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
There is an air passage into the main jet tower, in a 1200 carb I believe it comes from the rear of the body where it attaches to the plenum. If it is plugged too much raw fuel will be drawn through the main jet when the needle starts to rise. Other than that I would suspect an ignition problem.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page