Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   87 Gl 1200 carb rebuilt with 102/35 jets (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666971-87-gl-1200-carb-rebuilt-102-35-jets.html)

Frenchie 04-14-2019 09:54 PM

87 Gl 1200 carb rebuilt with 102/35 jets

Hi guys...
First thing thank you so much for these forums and all the "how to" vids and tutorials... a real goldmine for a newbie like me...
Ok so not patting myself on the back but since i got my 87 1200 Interstate last week I was able to pull out the carburetors bank and rebuild them with a kit bought online...
... added 10w40 oil... got rid of all the old gas... cleaned the fuel filter and all electrical connections i could find... new air filter... new gasoline...
Then carbs back in the baby and today I turned the key in for the first time... and it worked..
At least partially...
The engine idles but stalls whenever I want to turn off the choke or give it some gas...
I did a by the book set up on the pilot jet of 1and3/4 turn on the pilot jet...
One thing I noticed afterwards though is that all these rebuild kits are 102 main and 35 idle jets which are not the original setting...
So my feeling is that I'm extremely lean to the point where I can't cut off the choke without the engine stalling... am i right ? Anybody familiar with this particular combination on 102/35 and he adjusted the richness and the pilot ?
Thanks guys

Bike...and Dennis 04-14-2019 11:01 PM

Rebuild kits are a very, very bad idea. Honda sells the needed o-rings and such for less money and there's no reason to replace the jets. And never use a non Keihen float needle.

However, I'll ask, are you running it without an air filter, or a foam filter?

Frenchie 04-15-2019 03:45 AM

Hi Bike and Dennis...
I'm running it with a brand new air filter

DaveO430 04-15-2019 06:10 AM

If the rubber parts fit your carbs you're lucky, the brass parts in aftermarket kits are junk and you don't need them anyway like Dennis said. Motorcycle carbs are very particular about having all the passages cleaned & float settings exactly right.

JamesPal 04-15-2019 11:06 PM

I agree with Dennis about not using the brass parts in aftermarket rebuild kits. I have been successful with the rubber parts. The only brass parts in the Keihin CV carbs that wear are the needles and the needle jets. The hole in the jet should be round and the needle will have flats when they are worn.

I struggled a lot to get my '85 running correctly. You can read about it here: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...de-report.html

About the GL1200 carburetors. When they work they are marvelous. When they don't they are a pig. One thing about the mid 80s motorcycles, all the manufacturers were leaning the hell out of them to get them to pass emissions. Even with that, if the Keilins are correctly set up the bike will run well. I'm not sure about the '87, but my '85 was fitted with 35/108. Against the recommendations of the people on this forum I put 112 mains in. Once the problems with the intake, exhaust and carburetors were corrected the over sized jets were not required. All it did was make the bike smell like unburnt gas. Kind of like an old pre-emissions car. Not needed.

After reading this thread it is pretty clear the bike is running lean. You went a lot smaller with those jets. That would just make things worse. If it was me, I would buy a new set of jets from Jets R Us. Get the correct Keihin size. Then carefully look at all of the rubber and make sure the o-rings at the base of the intake runners are good. Keep us posted.

Frenchie 04-16-2019 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesPal (Post 5835893)
I agree with Dennis about not using the brass parts in aftermarket rebuild kits. I have been successful with the rubber parts. The only brass parts in the Keihin CV carbs that wear are the needles and the needle jets. The hole in the jet should be round and the needle will have flats when they are worn.

After reading this thread it is pretty clear the bike is running lean. You went a lot smaller with those jets. That would just make things worse. If it was me, I would buy a new set of jets from Jets R Us. Get the correct Keihin size. Then carefully look at all of the rubber and make sure the o-rings at the base of the intake runners are good. Keep us posted.

Thanks for all these inputsJamespal...
Something that confused me when I took the carbs apart : I didn't find any Orings anywhere except on the outside pilot...
Where are the bunch of Orings coming with the kit supposed to go ?
Also the floaters needles valves were completely stuck in their seats... I've tried everything but couldn't get them out without damaging them... so I had to replace at least these with new...
Another person on a different forum told me to shim the needles in order to compensate for the leaner jets ... what do you think ?

glhonda 04-16-2019 01:18 PM

Reinstall the 108's?? if you still have them. No one has mentioned California series carbs are jetted different than the 49 states models. I know you are on the east coast, but motorcycles have wheels, and they move around.....
You don't shim to compensate for incorrect jetting. Some use a shim to lift the needle slightly to compensate off idle, but I've never found the need to on the 1200's. If they're clean, they work. After you've brought he carbs back to stock, you might want to open the pilots an extra 1/2-1 turn over recommended. Gas was a lot better when they designed these bikes. Since you replaced the needle and seat assy's, make sure your float level is correct.
And my book says 3 1/2 turns out. Not 1 3/4.....

Frenchie 04-16-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glhonda (Post 5836053)
Reinstall the 108's if you still have them. No .....
And my book says 3 1/2 turns out. Not 1 3/4.....

Thanks for your inputs GlHonda...

My Hanes repair manual for 1987 models like mine says 1.3/4 turn for non Californians models...
Did I miss something ?

Ken Bergen 04-16-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 5836121)

My Hanes repair manual for 1987 models like mine says 1.3/4 turn for non Californians models...
Did I miss something ?

My Honda manual says 1 3/4 for the 87 49State model and 3 1/2 for the 84 49State model.

glhonda 04-16-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 5836121)

Did I miss something ?

No. My bad. I used a PDF I had for the GL1200. My Honda manual does indeed say 1 3/4 initial opening for the '87. However, you'll probably end up around 3 turns doing the lean drop method anyway.